Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

That kind of mechanism would be legal as it could only be adjusted by mechanic when the car is stationary and the system would have to be mechanical.

Some close ups from friday at German GP

red300zx99

Maybe changes in camber have an effect on the way the tire heats up.
gridmotorsports.com

hollus

This is a high res (right click to zoom) from Valencia. There is a similar one just above.
The brake flip-ups are very interesting, with abrupt ends. The top one looks almost like a parallelogram. They prefer to use up to the last millimeter allowed in the regulations rather than giving it an aerodynamic profile at the edges.
Rivals, not enemies.

Tim.Wright

ESPImperium wrote:Pretty much. Whitch over a race, could have a massive effect on race pace, asuming fuel loads were constant, you could see an improvement of 4 tenths or more over a race distance, but since fuel levels arnt, it could be worth a heck of alot more.
0.4sec from camber adjustment? Where on earth did you pull that figure from? Seems pretty wishful to me.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

PhillipM

hollus wrote:This is a high res (right click to zoom) from Valencia. There is a similar one just above.
The brake flip-ups are very interesting, with abrupt ends. The top one looks almost like a parallelogram. They prefer to use up to the last millimeter allowed in the regulations rather than giving it an aerodynamic profile at the edges.
In terms of the downforce being applied directly to the unsprung portion of the car, I suspect you'd be willing to sacrifice a lot of effieciency for outright force.

Owen.C93

Plus those shapes are actually just gurney tabs. What's most interesting about RB8 rear brake flickups is how high they are. Most teams put some low down to help the diffuser but RB's are much higher than other teams.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Owen.C93

More updates to the RB8 floor ramp setup by the looks of it. In this shot you can see daylight through the starter motor hole so I guess the little duct isn't ducted to it fully anymore?
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

alogoc

i am happy to announce that Adrian Newey cheating philosophy is coming to an end!

https://twitter.com/F1Kate/status/22695 ... to/1/large
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

tok-tokkie

What does article 5.5.3 state? Seems odd to me that they can not have different maps for different tracks like Hungary & Monza.

Hail22

tok-tokkie wrote:What does article 5.5.3 state? Seems odd to me that they can not have different maps for different tracks like Hungary & Monza.

Article 5.5.3 states that “The maximum accelerator pedal travel position must correspond to an engine torque demand equal to or greater than the maximum engine torque at the measured engine speed. The minimum accelerator pedal travel position must correspond to an engine torque demand equal to or lower than 0Nm.”
Last edited by Hail22 on 22 Jul 2012, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

imightbewrong

As far as I can tell, what they are doing is setting the torque output from the engine differently depending on engine rpm but with the accelerator in the maximum position. And that is not allowed according to the rules. When the accelerator is in its maximum position, it must correspond to maximum torque output.

alogoc

The maximum accelerator pedal travel position must correspond to an engine torque demand equal to or greater than the maximum engine torque at the measured engine speed. The minimum accelerator pedal travel position must correspond to an engine torque demand equal to or lower than 0Nm.”
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Kiril Varbanov

The document in question:

myurr

alogoc wrote:i am happy to announce that Adrian Newey cheating philosophy is coming to an end!

https://twitter.com/F1Kate/status/22695 ... to/1/large
Let's see if they're actually punished. If that decision is upheld by the stewards then the cars will be disqualified from qualifying, like Hamilton was when he ran out of fuel which was a breach of the technical rules, and thus will only be allowed to race at the stewards discretion.

Personally I think that the powers that be will let them off and they'll just be forced to change the map for the next race. The FIA seem to be particularly harsh on accidental infringements, on the off chance it was deliberate, but seem to work with the teams when they've been deliberately cheating.

Lorenzo_Bandini

Its a huge news.. I wonder if both car will be allowed to race. Its a sort of traction control... And its just speculation by me, but I think Lotus had perhaps the same engine map. At the start of the season, Jean Francois Caubet, the boss of Renault Sport, said Red Bull have found a way, with the engine map to recover most of the downforce that they had last year. I'm on my blackberry, if someone could found the link..