Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Nando

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Owen.C93 wrote:Lucky not to lose pressure though.
I´m sure some air slipped out when Senna´s front tire and Vettel´s rear tire collided but it was probably very very small quantities as it all happened in a split second.

Maybe JT can give a better view on that, if the tire remains air tight with that level of deformation.

Edit: Maybe no air got out as the deformation or compression simply made the tire more air-tight..
I guess it depends on how it´s being hit.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

raymondu999

AFAIK the tyre is glued to the rim.

Looking at the video Senna ran over Vettel's tyre, but considering that it was at low speed, and these tyres handle much more in downforce alone, I don't think it was a big issue. I don't think there was significant impact from a sideways direction or the suspension probably would've been damaged anyways.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Nando

Had no idea they were glued, any source?

Disagree on the "tires handle more in downforce" as you never seen that type of compression from even the hardest cornering.

The forces required to squish a tire like that is incredible.
What probably lessened the effect was two things, low tire pressures because it´s the first lap, and he´s rolling backwards so his and Senna´s tire are working in harmony to roll over each other if that makes any sense.

Lycoming

How much force does it take to squish a tire like that? I would imagine the teams to have data on the actual spring rate of the tire. You could try and find some photos of the car at high speed and try and measure the deflection, taking the rim as the reference size and get a ballpark number for the stiffness/spring rate under vertical loading.

No reference on them being glued, but thats usually how its done. If he lost a little bit of air, it's not a big deal since it would be a non issue after the first pit stop. If there's no sharp stuff involved, ie. tire on tire contact, then a puncture would have been unlikely, if that's what is meant by lose pressure.

Intego

I found this one:
Vettel and Hembery mounted the tyre on the rim, inflating it to the right pressure and balancing it to the correct weight. The physical demands of fitting an F1 tyre are matched by the level of precision required, making the task a challenge for the unaccustomed. Each tyre has to be levered onto the rim by hand after the edge is coated in glue, while the tyre pressure and balancing weight has to be exactly right.
source: Vettel takes on Hembery in tyre fitting challenge
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

PhillipM

Whilst I've no source for F1 tyres, it's pretty common in most forms of motorsport to glue the tyre bead to the rim.

Nando

Just checked youtube and it seem they do it even on RC cars.

Thanks for the info all of you,
(i´d like to one-up all of you but i´m afraid i´ll get the mods on my ass :))

Intego

Is Big Brother watching us? :? :lol:
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

Nando

watching me :)

Owen.C93

Yeah they are glued but to the rim lip which it obviously broke.

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 6153.8.jpg

Here you can see the front tire squish a little for some reason on impact as well.

http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 406.48.jpg
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Nando

Woah what has happened here? just noticed it,

Cam

Nando wrote:Woah what has happened here? just noticed it,
Interesting. I have lightened that image for you Nando to make it clearer. Good spot.
Last edited by Richard on 29 Nov 2012, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Cam

Here are some earlier images to compare:

Forza wrote:Few more photos from Thursday
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

turbof1

That would have probably happened when Senna hit Vettel's rear tyre. Mught be due the temporal horizontal expansion which in turn hits the floor.
#AeroFrodo

Cam

So the tyre did that? Wow, lucky not to bust the tyre. I thought maybe the floor hit the ground? Massive damage in a weird area.
― Socrates