Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
WhiteBlue

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars ... 8H,3ARCB,1

The story of the RB8 development in RCE
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

wesley123

Cam wrote:
Nando wrote:Woah what has happened here? just noticed it,

Interesting. I have lightened that image for you Nando to make it clearer. Good spot.
Seems like a damaged floor
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Owen.C93

Nando wrote:Woah what has happened here? just noticed it,

[img]http://quikk.se/?56e55c[img]
That's what I was pointing out T_T.

Anyway, floor damage is probably from when Senna rubbed his floor against it.
http://www.formule1.nl/media/uploads/me ... 406.97.jpg
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Nando

It looks a bit odd because the part that still is horizontal, that bit looks like the actual end of the floor.

Looks like the whole floor has bent upwards which is strange because it´s carbon , you would think that at a certain angle it would snap.

Would be great to see more picture from the race but further into the race and see if we can get some clearer pictures of the damage (if there is any)
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Nando

I think the cause of it is simlply Senna´s tire, compressing Vettel´s tire expanding it around that area and as he rolls backwards the slightly more expanded bit picks up the floor from below and just bends the whole thing.

turbof1

Nando wrote:I think the cause of it is simlply Senna´s tire, compressing Vettel´s tire expanding it around that area and as he rolls backwards the slightly more expanded bit picks up the floor from below and just bends the whole thing.
Which I basicilly said already. He didn't hit the floor or suspension in any that would make the floor touch the ground. So It really has to be the horizontal expansion. We do know that the edge of the floor has only a small margin toward the wheel. Like Cam said, it is actually amazing that the tyre didn't got ripped by it. That piece of floor must have been pressed into the tyre quite eveningly.
#AeroFrodo

THENOMAD79

maybe rb8 used flexible floor :lol:

Neno

THENOMAD79 wrote:maybe rb8 used flexible floor :lol:
i wouldn't be suprised, their car was made from very strange materials, it's all flexi and can apsorb force. like a it's carbon-rubber. very strange material.

THENOMAD79

Neno wrote:
THENOMAD79 wrote:maybe rb8 used flexible floor :lol:
i wouldn't be suprised, their car was made from very strange materials, it's all flexi and can apsorb force. like a it's carbon-rubber. very strange material.
or some memory materials, who bending when car is in movement, and when car stopped, materials is returned in initial condition :?:

Crucial_Xtreme

The latest, end of season RB8 updates via Piola

all images via Piola & AMuS

A video of the updates can be found here==> http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 83945.html

wesley123

I still found it hilarious how everyone was complaining about Ferrari's 6-plane front wing but Red Bull had done exactly the same in Austin(or the race before).
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Nando

turbof1 wrote:
Nando wrote:I think the cause of it is simlply Senna´s tire, compressing Vettel´s tire expanding it around that area and as he rolls backwards the slightly more expanded bit picks up the floor from below and just bends the whole thing.
Which I basicilly said already. He didn't hit the floor or suspension in any that would make the floor touch the ground. So It really has to be the horizontal expansion. We do know that the edge of the floor has only a small margin toward the wheel. Like Cam said, it is actually amazing that the tyre didn't got ripped by it. That piece of floor must have been pressed into the tyre quite eveningly.
Sorry i have a tendency to skip a post here or there. But we are on the same page at least :)

Amazing that it did not crack, it still looks somewhat fused together at the "base" of the cracked part.

Drpesq

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault "magic bullet"

I watched Valencia and to me it was clear that the RB8 had a real speed advantage that it was missing in the 12' season up to that point. It was relatively strong from rounds 9-13 but then in Singapore the RedBull was back.

Seb doubled his points total in a few races if I remember correctly.

My question is - what exactly happened to the RB8 to make it all conquering from Singapore on?

I follow this forum moderately as well as other F1 sites. I read plenty about the DDRS and the rubber nose cone, but there hasn't been any coverage of a "magic bullet" update as far as I know.

The car's new found speed deficit seemed too great the be the result of a culmination of gradual improvements. How did Red Bull find all that downforce?

The engineering/tech side of the sport is what fascinates me (as a lay person - no engineering background) I love reading about J dampers, and pushrods and the Coanda effect. It was clear where the RB7 got its advantage from, and equally clear that it all but lost that advantage in Melbourne earlier this year. So I'm shocked there hasn't been further coverage of how the RB8 came back on like a light switch. Yeah the nosecone dips and the cascades fall back, but that's old news right?

What did they do to that car in September? And also, why is this subject so passé? No one in the media seems to care to analyze it?

Perhaps I've missed some things?

DRP

Cam

I think the general consensus was that the RB8 had the speed all along, they just couldn't unlock it. Remember the RB8 evolved from the RB7 - no slouch of a car, and yes the EBD was a key function, but the rest of the car was good too. No-one has specifically defined the exact component that 'switched' it on - which probably indicates it was a series of smaller tweaks that came together. Once they got that exhaust running where they needed it, plus sorting the aero to help get it there, that was arguably the biggest step. People have also suggested that the DDRS slots where there in Valencia as well, however no obvious way to blow them - perhaps there was a non-obvious way too? There was also the re-introduction the tunnel which suggested the starter motor hole being blown, this of course remains on the car today. RBR also still had the preferred Engine Map running as well - which was later 'clarified' and removed.

The experts all say rear end stability at Valencia is key and RBR have always had their cars strong in this area which is why they were so much quicker. It's quite possible all of these things came together in Valencia to finally give them back a good chunk of the EBD that was removed for this year - this would certainly explain the rocket Vettel had..
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Nando

I´d agree with that, basically at Valencia they got 99% of the puzzle done.
DDRS was the final piece to make it a very competitive package, on all types of circuits.