Red Bull RB8 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Nando

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Beam wing? Surely it directs most of it down to the far ends of the diffuser?

I thought that was the whole point of the tunnel, to keep the exhaust gases stuck onto the bodywork all the way down to the rear tire inside.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Jackles-UK

I agree with everything Gilgen says except where the exhaust gases are directed.

Surely the whole coanda exhaust train of thought was to 'force' for lack of a better word the exhaust gases to the floor just inside the inside shoulder of the rear tyre sealing the diffuser edges similar to that of the 2011 EBDs? This was why Mercs late attempt at a coanda system was plagued by rear tyre over-heating problems.

Plus, throwing their DDRS into the equation, if the exhaust gases were firing at the beam wing wouldn't the high pressure restrict the downflow of air through the RW endplates? I was under the impression the low pressure zone on the underside of the beam wing effectively "sucked" air down from the turbulent high pressure area on the edges of the RW main planes, block that off and it'll have nowhere to go and just cause a bit of a mess!

Cam

You'd think that Newey wants to regain what he lost in the RB7. So let's have a look at the RB7. You can see the exhausts are pointed to blow right beside the inside of the tyre. This 'seals' the diffuser - as is my understanding.

So the ramp does the same thing, it tries to move the exhaust gasses to the same spot (red arrows) while allowing air (blue arrows) through by going under the exhausts to the desired spot at the diffuser/ starter motor hole. (This view is the underside of the RB7, but the principle is what I'm attempting to demonstrate). If I have this wrong, please let me know.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

CHT
CHT

Newey mentioned two significant upgrade for RB8, one in Valencia and the other in Singapore. What were those upgrade?
"We came out with a car which had flashes of pace," Newey told Servus TV. "Sebastian won in Bahrain, Mark [Webber] won in Monaco. But we didn't have the level of consistency we wanted, and as an engineer that was very frustrating because the truth is we didn't properly understand the car and what was happening.

"We made a step at Valencia and then we made a further step in Singapore and that gave us that purple patch where Sebastian won four on the trot which really set up the Championship challenge."

wesley123

They came up with a new version of the exhaust ramp solution in Valencia, and after that refined the ramp in signapore and added DDRS
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

Reworked rear suspension at Singapore too.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Crucial_Xtreme

I think this is the best analysis of what RB's exhaust ramp, tunnel & DDRS system do:

Is there a connection between Red Bull's new double-DRS system, and their unique 'underpass' duct?

To recall, the underpass is a means of separating the 'coke-bottle' flow along the flank of the sidepod, from the exhaust-flow, sweeping down from the top of the sidepod. The coke-bottle flow feeds the starter-motor slot and the top surface of the diffuser's trailing edge, while the exhaust jet partially seals the side of the diffuser and increases the flow over the rear brake-duct assembly.

The underpass is fed by the flow along the flanks of the sidepods, which in turn is fed by the front-wing wake. By connecting the flow along the flanks of the sidepods to the low pressure area under the beam wing, the underpass not only assists with rear downforce, but also pulls the air faster over the front-wing.

Red Bull's double-DRS system purportedly stalls the central section of the beam wing, (although Craig Scarborough suggests that it is the tips of the beam-wing which are being stalled, in order to reduce the wing-tip vortex drag).

The central part of the beam wing is the section which is pulling the air out of the underpass. Thus, if the beam wing stalls, then the underpass stalls, the flow along the flanks of the sidepods weakens, and front-wing downforce and drag are reduced.

The image above here illustrates how the front-wing streamlines on a generic open-wheeled race-car are the same streamlines which pass along the flanks of the sidepods, and thence between the rear wheels, (although there is no sidepod undercut or beam wing in this illustrative case, courtesy of the 2012 University of Southampton Racecar Aerodynamics MSc Group Design Project).

Red Bull introduced a smaller underpass inlet for the Korean Grand Prix, and if the double-DRS really does stall the centre of the beam wing, it would certainly make sense to change the underpass as well. Autosport's Mark Hughes comments in his Korean Grand Prix report that the changes to the sidepod area gave "more downforce and more diffuser stall."

One can speculate then, that Red Bull's double-DRS is a system which reduces front-wing drag as well as helping to stall the beam wing and diffuser.

McCabism

ringo

Speculation indeed.
It doesn't really add up. Especially the front wing wake part.
The modern wings flow diffeent to that image in the link. The sidepod flow is also very different since the barge boards by the cockpit are present.
As for beam wing stalling, i'm not sure what the tips are. the beam wing has enplates, and the vorteces coming of the beam wing is minimal compared to the rear wing. The flow is very uniform.
Secondly stalling the outermost parts is very dificult.

Do we have any images of the DDRS system from redbull?
For Sure!!

aral

ringo wrote:Speculation indeed.
It doesn't really add up. Especially the front wing wake part.
The modern wings flow diffeent to that image in the link. The sidepod flow is also very different since the barge boards by the cockpit are present.
As for beam wing stalling, i'm not sure what the tips are. the beam wing has enplates, and the vorteces coming of the beam wing is minimal compared to the rear wing. The flow is very uniform.
Secondly stalling the outermost parts is very dificult.

Do we have any images of the DDRS system from redbull?
There have been a number on this thread. Also check F1fanatic. (sorry, dont know how to re post the articles!)

sof1jou

Hello at all

I' m new to this forum and i have a question please , where can i get somthing lik this?? (technical draw) for the Red Bull RB8

http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/14/79/55/26/lotus-12.jpg

i will be very thankful for help

beelsebob

sof1jou wrote:Hello at all

I' m new to this forum and i have a question please , where can i get somthing lik this?? (technical draw) for the Red Bull RB8

http://i49.servimg.com/u/f49/14/79/55/26/lotus-12.jpg

i will be very thankful for help
This drawing is almost certainly simply traced from a side view image of Lotus's car. Simply grab a vector graphics app and trace the RB8, and you're there.

sof1jou

i try all the time to draw it but the result is unconvincing :cry:

DaveKillens

hardingfv32 wrote:It would SEEM completely legitimate to have a duct that cools the wheel bearings. This would not be a brake duct. Cooling the wheel bearings would be a valid 'primary' use for such flow. To say aero is the 'primary' use seems like a stretch. Do we have anything to demonstrate how it would be an aero benefit.

We are missing some detail in this story.

Brian
This post was back June 9, when the Red Bull wheel bearing holes were discussed. The comment "We are missing some detail in this story." has stuck in my mind for all this time, and I have a theory on another intended use.

We are all aware that all the different tire compounds have different optimum temperatures, and getting tires up to their proper operating temperatures has been a major issue all season. The McLaren solution was to have a system where during pit stops a mechanic could adjust an opening inside the brake ducts to suit the required operating temperatures of the different compounds. But it was complex, it required action during a pit stop and added extra complexity and mass to the car.

But for the Red Bull for that period of time, they attempted to use the size of the wheel spoke openings to regulate temperatures? The center has holes to cool the bearings, but further outward, if you had different sized openings in the spokes, you could tailor (restrict) the airflow to optimize brake temperatures to suit the different tire compounds?

If this was true, it was an elegant and simple solution. No need for a mechanic to adjust anything during a pit stop, no hydraulic lines, you just matched the tire compound to a wheel with specific-sized holes.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Owen.C93

Wont that depend on using different wheel specs. Because that isn't allowed.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

DaveKillens

I was wondering about that to, but did not find anything restricting difference in opening sizes in Article 12, which deals with wheels and tires.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.