Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zonk
zonk

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

Kai wrote:How do you go about viewing those pictures you guys post every week. IE. Where do you get them from?
http://sutton-images.com/

turbof1

Just want to make a small tribute to Stefan, gandharva and others who do the effort to sort the pictures and post them in the corresponding topic, every single race weekend. Cheers guys!
#AeroFrodo

stefan_
stefan_

turbof1 wrote:Just want to make a small tribute to Stefan, gandharva and others who do the effort to sort the pictures and post them in the corresponding topic, every single race weekend. Cheers guys!
Thanks, man. Doing my best to deliver you guys good content.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

mikeerfol

Interesting read on Red Bull's change in form since Belgium from Gary Anderson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24659085

turbof1

And it's also very difficult to keep the diffuser working well at high rear ride-heights - with the increased height a lot of air can leak into the diffuser from the sides, reducing its overall performance.

But Red Bull use the exhaust gases and their sidepod design more effectively than any other team to 'seal' the diffuser and keep the airflow working through this under-floor area.
:o He admits they use the exhaust gasses for sealing the diffuser.

This piece in particular got my attention:
I believe that a team could set up the brackets that attach the floor to the stay in such a way that when the floor and front skid area gets hot, it moves the floor up and away from the track, whereas most bracket designs I have seen in the last few years actually do the opposite and would move the floor towards the ground.

It's difficult to get a clear view of the Red Bull floor bracket, but the car certainly has a much more complicated arrangement of parts at the front of the tea tray than seems necessary, and the mechanics spend a lot of time in the evenings around that area of the car.
There was a lot of talk about the heat signature. It does seem far fetched to first run the t tray hot so that it can "curl up", but he does make a good point about the over complexity of the parts.
#AeroFrodo

Hail22

mikeerfol wrote:Interesting read on Red Bull's change in form since Belgium from Gary Anderson

I believe this image better compliments GA's argument / opinion on the floor:

To me the one in the article seems to highlight low friction / heat on both edges of the floor (possibly supporting brackets).
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Huntresa
Huntresa

We know its the supports heating up from the race track.

Kiril Varbanov

Some nice food for thoughts from Gary this time. There's also a theory for bi-material construction, but to me it's more related to interlinked suspension.

The reason we see it hot at relatively slow speeds is because it's a large piece of metal and it holds heat for a long time.
The Titanium blocks are in holes in the plank (Jabroc), set up in the floor reinforcement, which is the heat conduction connection. I'm also sure that this doesn't serve a lot to pre-heat the airflow traveling down to the rear - I mean, there's an effect, but with negligible magnitude.

Back on the suspension theory, without dismissing the brackets that GA mentions, if it's interlinked and tuned properly, at high speeds the rear could simply squat more and push the front off the track (up), which keeps the area (T-Tray front edge) clean.

stefan_
stefan_

India 2013 - Friday (25.10.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

gandharva

emmepi27
emmepi27

B sides

stefan_
stefan_

India 2013 - Friday (25.10.2013)

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

Hail22 wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:Interesting read on Red Bull's change in form since Belgium from Gary Anderson

I believe this image better compliments GA's argument / opinion on the floor:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-m-33N39kgag/U ... ripic8.jpg

To me the one in the article seems to highlight low friction / heat on both edges of the floor (possibly supporting brackets).
I had to smile when I read this piece as Gary has clearly had a sudden change of opinion that the teams aren't aiming the exhaust plume at the brake ducts but rather the gap between the rear tyre and floor/diffusers edge (as we all already know). Furthermore apart from Williams there isn't another team with the rearward facing thermal camera in the hammerhead position (or close enough to it) for us to ascertain whether the other teams are exploiting similar methods (albeit perhaps not to the level of RBR, due to the increased Rake they run).

Having been asked about the T-Tray's heat signature via Twitter I explored a few avenues myself on the topic 2 weeks ago: http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/ ... itter.html
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

That seems to show that the RedBull has a much higher rear ride height (and thus rake) that the Ferrari. Also, the Ferrari needs to run a deeper rear wing than the RedBull. So RB get more downforce with less drag. And people wonder why they're so much quicker.

Interesting also to note that Mercedes running a bit deeper rear wing than the McLaren and also having a slightly higher rear ride height (and thus rake). The Mercedes seems to do quite well on top speed and is quicker over a lap than the McLaren too. So the Merc seems to have higher downforce and less overall drag (even with the bigger rear wing it seems).

Difficult to tell from just one picture but that's how it looks.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote: That seems to show that the RedBull has a much higher rear ride height (and thus rake) that the Ferrari. Also, the Ferrari needs to run a deeper rear wing than the RedBull. So RB get more downforce with less drag. And people wonder why they're so much quicker.
This has been pretty obvious this entire season if you ask me. RB almost always ran half the wing of everyone else. Just check korea RW comparions, its ridiculous how little wing they've got compared to everyone else.
Just_a_fan wrote: Interesting also to note that Mercedes running a bit deeper rear wing than the McLaren and also having a slightly higher rear ride height (and thus rake). The Mercedes seems to do quite well on top speed and is quicker over a lap than the McLaren too. So the Merc seems to have higher downforce and less overall drag (even with the bigger rear wing it seems).

Difficult to tell from just one picture but that's how it looks.
Top speed alone means little if it takes you forever to get there. Go check sector times for the last couple of GPs (very obvious from spa on). Mercs were nowhere in straight line stuff compared to RBs despite having longer 7th gear. Short gears + little wing = faster overall.