McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
scarbs

Re: McLaren MP4-29 Mercedes

trinidefender wrote:
scarbs wrote:There's a new series of strakes on the RWEP and a new rear wing.
Any pics?

I didn't have my camera to hand. XPB got a pic

trinidefender

scarbs wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
scarbs wrote:There's a new series of strakes on the RWEP and a new rear wing.
Any pics?

I didn't have my camera to hand. XPB got a pic

http://xpb.cc/thumbnails/2014/f1-2014-g ... IP_450.jpg
Second element/DRS flap looks longer. Wonder if this is for DRS reasons or to run the wing at a higher AoA. I suspect it is the second option. The strakes at the back extend further up and pull air from inside the RWEP to outside them. This in turn reduces pressure between the end plates and henceforth a reduction in pressure below the wing. To combat the lower pressure maybe the chord of the DRS flap was made longer to reduce the chances of the rear wing stalling by feeding in airflow further forward. The wing also looks thicker with a bit more camber. This would increase downforce but at the expense of drag.

End result; more airflow pushed into the low pressure wake behind the rear tyre, more downforce from the rear wing as a result of the greater pressure differential between top and bottom of the wing. Also more drag.

This is all assuming I am correct in saying the DRS flap chord is longer and that the wing is thicker with a higher camber value.

scarbs

Mclarens rear wing slot gap is wavy!

zgred

Picture courtesy to Craig Scarborough

scarbs

My pic from autosport.com

Thunder

Wow there is so much stuff going on at that new RW. But yes the Slot gap scarbs mentioned is something i personally have never seen before.

Can be seen here too:

Source AMuS
Last edited by Thunder on 18 Jul 2014, 10:47, edited 2 times in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

zgred

scarbs wrote:
My pic from autosport.com
Thanks scarbs and sorry, I will quote source next time.

Steven
Owner

Here's a proper pic :)

Holm86

The wavey slot gap, is that to help the boundary layer attach when the DRS closes??

bhall II

They're called tubercles, developed by Mother Nature several million years ago in the Miocene as an adaptation on the pectoral fins of humpback whales that increases their maneuverability.

Used on an airfoil, they make it more efficient by inhibiting spanwise flow (for increased lift/downforce), which also reduces the strength of tip vortices (less drag). They apparently delay stall as well, so it'll be interesting to see how the development affects McLaren's DRS.

Source: I just looked this --- up.

Holm86

bhall II wrote:They're called tubercles, developed by Mother Nature several million years ago in the Miocene as an adaptation on the pectoral fins of humpback whales that increases their maneuverability.

http://i.imgur.com/2jKluQx.jpg

Used on an airfoil, they make it more efficient by inhibiting spanwise flow (for increased lift/downforce), which also reduces the strength of tip vortices (less drag). They apparently delay stall as well, so it'll be interesting to see how the development affects McLaren's DRS.

http://i.imgur.com/GhaExiB.jpg

I knew about this. Thats why I think the purpose is to attach the boundary layer quicker when the DRS flap closes.

bhall II

Well, not everyone knows about it. Some of us aren't edumakated. :)

Holm86

bhall II wrote:Well, not everyone knows about it. Some of us aren't edumakated. :)
Haha :D =D> reminds me of Bernie Mac

trinidefender

bhall II wrote:They're called tubercles, developed by Mother Nature several million years ago in the Miocene as an adaptation on the pectoral fins of humpback whales that increases their maneuverability.

http://i.imgur.com/2jKluQx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GhaExiB.jpg

The problem is that on the whales they are on the leading edge of the fins. Here they are on the trailing edge of the first wing element. Means that they can't work the same.

bhall II

trinidefender wrote:The problem is that on the whales they are on the leading edge of the fins. Here they are on the trailing edge of the first wing element. Means that they can't work the same.
I think you missed the tubercles on the leading edge of the flap.

EDIT: We've seen a similar trailing edge feature on Pescarolo's 2011 Le Mans contender...

Source