Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bonjon1979

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

8)
Silent Storm wrote:Here's a side by side done right
https://twitter.com/hlawiczka/status/700684323876261888
https://twitter.com/f1/status/700698121248985089
As I said earlier both have same wheelbase and if u go in detail the 2016 car might have a tad shorter wheelbase maybe around 10mm or something.
it is not a shorter wheelbase, in my opinion, anyway!
Last edited by bonjon1979 on 19 Feb 2016, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

godlameroso wrote:You can clearly see the James Allison influence on the FW design. I'll be surprised if the car isn't at least half a second faster from the chassis alone.
Just to be clear: that is the same front wing as the one in the final stages of the 2015 season. I do expect some changes either during testing or in Melbourne.
#AeroFrodo

bonjon1979

This image perfectly illustrates why it is folly to try to extrapolate wheelbase etc from comparative photos taken at different times, from different angles with different lenses. Look at the rear wings. Look at the size difference of them.

Scuderia1967

turbof1 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:You can clearly see the James Allison influence on the FW design. I'll be surprised if the car isn't at least half a second faster from the chassis alone.
Just to be clear: that is the same front wing as the one in the final stages of the 2015 season. I do expect some changes either during testing or in Melbourne.
This

bhall II

T̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶y̶b̶r̶i̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶r̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶b̶i̶n̶e̶s̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶r̶t̶-̶n̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶i̶g̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶"̶v̶e̶n̶t̶u̶r̶i̶-̶t̶y̶p̶e̶"̶ ̶e̶l̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶F̶1̶4̶ ̶T̶.̶ ̶

Last edited by bhall II on 20 Feb 2016, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

bhall II

dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
cmF1 wrote:Can someone please explain the benefits of having a bat wing on the role hoop?
It straightens airflow toward the rear wing.
The shape will produce lift, look at the side profile. It is very similar to the Mercedes wing. It will have tip vortices curling upwards.
It could be a cooling aid that will direct air flow into a duct that's yet to be revealed.

Juzh

Kalsi

Wanted to focus a little bit on the gearbox, which it doesnt seem so small to me...
Sorry for the bad quality but this is a screenshotted picture from the streaming video you can still see on the ferrari site
They play with lights movement and is not easy to take a good shot with the right light

First image shows what the gearbox shape looks to me:
(Copy paste url in new window for larger image)

I appoligize for the second one cause those may be reflections that deceived my eyes but... this looked VERY strange to me
Please help me understand what im seeing lol

Mr. Fahrenheit

bhall II wrote:
dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote: It straightens airflow toward the rear wing.
The shape will produce lift, look at the side profile. It is very similar to the Mercedes wing. It will have tip vortices curling upwards.
It could be a cooling aid that will direct air flow into a duct that's yet to be revealed.

http://i.imgur.com/RUuwCbT.jpg
Very good shout. Can't believe they can iterate the radiator size down to have them sit more vertical and do away with other air intakes at the same time.

Sevach

I'm very impressed by the coke and slope, without the hot air exit extension this car would look like a V8 era Red Bull.

Chene_Mostert

Sevach wrote:http://cdn-2.motorsport.com/images/mgl/ ... mauriz.jpg

I'm very impressed by the coke and slope, without the hot air exit extension this car would look like a V8 era Red Bull.
Yes, remove side exit and add trumpet central exit and it is Rb7 =D>
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Big Mangalhit

bhall II wrote:The nose appears to be a hybrid of sorts that combines short-nose design with the "venturi-type" elements used on F14 T.

http://i.imgur.com/Vyzdy2Z.jpg
In light of your post what do you think of Scarb's tweet that they will possibly add an S-duct. Does it aid to the DF? or the S-duct is not likely in your opinion with regards to the nose geometry?

F1NAC

what a car. Beauty! there is something going on at the back of the car, No photos of the rear. Interesting times ahead =P~

Yurasyk

Kalsi wrote:Wanted to focus a little bit on the gearbox, which it doesnt seem so small to me...
Sorry for the bad quality but this is a screenshotted picture from the streaming video you can still see on the ferrari site
They play with lights movement and is not easy to take a good shot with the right light

First image shows what the gearbox shape looks to me:
(Copy paste url in new window for larger image)
http://i.imgur.com/k8hPXlu.jpg

I appoligize for the second one cause those may be reflections that deceived my eyes but... this looked VERY strange to me
Please help me understand what im seeing lol

http://i.imgur.com/Z0qpy6y.png
It seems to be a tunnel under the gearbox.

bhall II

Big Mangalhit wrote:In light of your post what do you think of Scarb's tweet that they will possibly add an S-duct. Does it aid to the DF? or the S-duct is not likely in your opinion with regards to the nose geometry?
First, in and of itself, the panel that was referenced doesn't tell us much, because it could just as easily be an access point for the new push rod suspension. Like so...

W05

That said, an s-duct might be sensible, given a high-nose that leads to a ridged streamline under the bulkhead. Anything that can minimize the adverse pressure gradient caused by that ridge will help.

It's hard to tell, though. I can see several possible development paths here (including a Mercedes/Lotus-style narrow nose that would not benefit from an s-duct).