Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Chene_Mostert

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Rhodium wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:
Sorry, but nose without penis not fit regulation. Pelvis too high :?

ok, if Mercedes style is not good, SF15-T style ?

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/82021 ... isf16h.jpg

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/34395 ... sf16h2.jpg
Restricts airflow too much under nose.
Considering the hours spent in wind tunnel, I'm sure the ENGINEERS came up with the most optimal solution. It may not be aesthetically pleasing to us armchair experts, but I'm sure it performs it's desired function as they intended.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

pciarro

Rhodium wrote: ok, if Mercedes style is not good, SF15-T style ?
What's the point of all these fake images?

GPR-A duplicate2

The bulk head size and height has gone back to 14T. Seems like definite change in radiator layout.

SectorOne

bhall II wrote:
dren wrote:
turbof1 wrote: It straightens airflow toward the rear wing.
The shape will produce lift, look at the side profile. It is very similar to the Mercedes wing. It will have tip vortices curling upwards.
It could be a cooling aid that will direct air flow into a duct that's yet to be revealed.

http://i.imgur.com/RUuwCbT.jpg
Could it be for the rear wing?

I don´t know anything about aero really but diverting some airflow down (generating lift) which then connects with the "normal" airflow headed for the rear wing, increasing pressure and thus speed, ready to be used by rear wing?

Probably not but i have to ask ;)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Blackout

Top view sidepods shapes are also very close to the early RB11 http://www.trf1.net/wp-content/uploads/ ... it_RGB.jpg

bhall II

SectorOne wrote:Could it be for the rear wing?
One of my more outlandish theories back when the element first appeared on F14 T...

...is that the vortices it generated, which rotate counter to those shed by the rear wing, maybe caused a partial stall at speeds higher than X in order to reduce drag. I can't remember what I was smoking at the time.

There are all sorts of possibilities, though. Depending on how the vortices interact with the rear wing downstream, it could be a way to hasten the detachment/attachment of air flow when DRS is engaged/disengaged. The quicker that happens, the better, especially when the flap closes under braking and the need for stability is at its greatest.

Just_a_fan

The hoop bat wing could be helping flow attachment on the rear of the engine cover. It might trigger a certain flow condition on the rear wing at a given speed. Might also be useful in tidying up the flow that spills from the air intake when the throttle is closed. As that flow could disrupt the rear wing when the car is already unstable, this might just be about keeping the rear stable for the driver's confidence.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SectorOne

bhall II wrote:
SectorOne wrote:Could it be for the rear wing?
One of my more outlandish theories back when the element first appeared on F14 T...

http://i.imgur.com/1NYN69V.jpg

...is that the vortices it generated, which rotate counter to those shed by the rear wing, maybe caused a partial stall at speeds higher than X in order to reduce drag. I can't remember what I was smoking at the time.

There are all sorts of possibilities, though. Depending on how the vortices interact with the rear wing downstream, it could be a way to hasten the detachment/attachment of air flow when DRS is engaged/disengaged. The quicker that happens, the better, especially when the flap closes under braking and the need for stability is at its greatest.
I see, thanks man. It´s way over my head as i can´t visualize those sort of things in my head but i do appreciate it.
It has a purpose, that much is clear at least :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

DarkAlman

Just_a_fan wrote:this might just be about keeping the rear stable for the driver's confidence.
Seb does work well with a car with a stable rear end. He seemed to adapt better to the blown diffuser than Webber.

Big change to the shape of the air intake. They finally did away with the triangular intake.

Pull rod suspension
Much cleaner looking coke bottle
extra vent intakes for cooling on top of the side pods.
Vent ontop of the airbox is missing so a new location for Transmission cooler (?)

dren

Is there any chance they want the lift it produces to move the center of pressure? I'd say most likely not, but a thought. It looks like it is primarily there for the vortices and something they are doing with the engine cover or rear wing.
Honda!

bhall II

SectorOne wrote:I see, thanks man. It´s way over my head as i can´t visualize those sort of things in my head but i do appreciate it.
The size of the rear wing was reduced in 2014, and some teams, notably Ferrari, tried to reclaim that lost downforce by running absurdly steep angles of attack.

For the sake of comparison...

Even under ideal conditions, air flow will not want to stay attached to such a surface, because it represents an extreme adverse pressure gradient (an area where static pressure increases in the direction of travel). Adding transient conditions to the equation, like those encountered after DRS has been engaged/disengaged but before air flow responds favorably to the change, just makes matters worse.

If an upstream vortex can energize air flow over/under the wing, it will minimize the adverse pressure gradient, which means air flow will attach quicker (more stability) and stay attached longer (more downforce).

Just a theory I can never prove.

Chicane

There are important takeaways from this design.

1] The Nose area is pretty much saturated with pretty much every team zeroing on the same design.

2] Even the front wing area is pretty much maxed out. People are saying we may be seeing different front wings in testing ut i would be surprised if they are radically different.

3] Why Mclaren Honda were talking about the size zero concept becomes evident here. I think going by both Ferrari and Williams launches it is pretty clear the gains are to be had more on the rear of the car by shrinking it as much as possible.

4] This aerodynamic concept is nearing saturation and no wonder the power unit is becoming the bigger differentiator.

5] With majority of the tracks being skewed towards power, aero efficiency is becoming more and more important. Bolting on as much downforce as possible is not going to be the go to route in this power unit formula where aero efficiency plays a significant role in fuel efficiency as well. The more aero efficient the car the less fuel it consumes.

6] Mp4 30's ideas can be seen in the new Ferrari. Looks like the gearbox position may mirror Mclaren's. The coke bottle rear end, the short nose which may looks similar to William but conceptually similar to Mclaren.

7] In a nustshell aero efficiency and mechanical grip is what the teams are after than maximum downforce approach.

8] Ferrari have tried to shrink the body work and shorten the nose but apart from that the changes are in details. The return to push rod suspension was pretty much expected as none of the drivers were a fan of it in terms of feel at the front end. the aero benefits vs the simplicity contest was won by the latter. The 2017 rule changes are the ones where we will see inventive ideas. Even the shots of the new Mercedes on its filiming day suggest it is more of an evolution.
Quickshifter

Clown

Ferrari just released a video on YouTube of the SF16-H being stickered up.
Lots of nice close ups in high res for the eagle eyed among us to pick apart.

variante

bhall II wrote:
SectorOne wrote:I see, thanks man. It´s way over my head as i can´t visualize those sort of things in my head but i do appreciate it.
The size of the rear wing was reduced in 2014, and some teams, notably Ferrari, tried to reclaim that lost downforce by running absurdly steep angles of attack.

For the sake of comparison...

Even under ideal conditions, air flow will not want to stay attached to such a surface, because it represents an extreme adverse pressure gradient (an area where static pressure increases in the direction of travel). Adding transient conditions to the equation, like those encountered after DRS has been engaged/disengaged but before air flow responds favorably to the change, just makes matters worse.

If an upstream vortex can energize air flow over/under the wing, it will minimize the adverse pressure gradient, which means air flow will attach quicker (more stability) and stay attached longer (more downforce).

Just a theory I can never prove.
Sounds like the right theory, but that yellow vortex would be sucked under the rear wing, not over it.

bhall II

It also wouldn't be hastily drawn in yellow. :D