Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Eniasqurku

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

dot235 wrote:Is that real permament exhaust?? Wow, didn't expect it to be this much visually extended and in this position.
Looks mean though. =D>
http://i.imgur.com/Sa9aIXO.jpg
its not the exhaust its the crash structure 8)

Pilatus

dot235 wrote:Is that real permament exhaust?? Wow, didn't expect it to be this much visually extended and in this position.
Looks mean though. =D>
http://i.imgur.com/Sa9aIXO.jpg
That "silver" piece that you see is the heatshield coating on the top of the rear crash structure.

Something like this:

dot235

I see. So they extended and reshaped it, I thought crash structure was below it (not in the shot).

Cuky

f1rules wrote:does this look like apossible 2nd attachment point for the suspension, maybe comparing geometries
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/248 ... 0%20pm.png

Looks to me like that is where screw that holds nose cone on the car is

bhall II

Pilatus wrote:Blunt leading edge, and sharp trailing edge - single fin.
That's the part I missed. I saw what looked like two trailing edge extensions, one on either side of the "finger," leaving an F14T-style concave section between that would act like a venturi. Combined with the higher, shorter nose and the "venturi" formed by the pylons, it looked like a hybrid of two design philosophies.

dot235

very, very tidy.

Last edited by dot235 on 20 Feb 2016, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

this car has James Allison written all over it. I like it much more than previous years. The engine intake redesign is the biggest giveaway that a new philosophy is being used. No longer are we seeing squared triangle shapes on ferraris.
This new car is more akin to a renault/redbull body style, though the sidepod flanks seemed to be retained from last year's car.
I don't think the mid section is any less bulky, more or less the car is a little bit longer and more components have been shifted upstream to free up space on the tail end.
I like how they have reshaped the upper engine cover, more refined and less bulges.
This car to me at least looks like one that is more aero efficient and should have really good top speed.

As for the gearbox, i'm not sure if it's much smaller than normal. Anyhow, the car looks very good in white and the red they have used is lovely.
For Sure!!

ferkan

Wondering why is Ferrari continuing with vertically longer sidepod intake design in comparison to RBR and in some way Merc's flatter style? Seems like flatter intakes give more space at the bottom to make undercut for air to pass.

RB style

OO7
OO7

Nice comparison.

I was wondering if the wheelbase would have increased on he new car, because even though F1 features a high rate of development, I couldn't see anyone slimming a car down and making it appear more compact and so much tighter in such a short period of time. It just wouldn't make sense.

OO7
OO7

turbof1 wrote:
cmF1 wrote:Kinda guessed that myself Turbo! Lol
I don't remember seeing it on the '15
Well don't expect to have any big effect. This is merely finetuning. They probably didn't bother with it in '15. It introduces another airflow structure and for the small gain it brings they probably decided to put effort somewhere else instead.
The '15' had them if I recall correctly, but they were just straight, symmetrical wings visually, without the downward curve.

OO7
OO7

Yurasyk wrote:
Kalsi wrote:Wanted to focus a little bit on the gearbox, which it doesnt seem so small to me...
Sorry for the bad quality but this is a screenshotted picture from the streaming video you can still see on the ferrari site
They play with lights movement and is not easy to take a good shot with the right light

First image shows what the gearbox shape looks to me:
(Copy paste url in new window for larger image)
http://i.imgur.com/k8hPXlu.jpg

I appoligize for the second one cause those may be reflections that deceived my eyes but... this looked VERY strange to me
Please help me understand what im seeing lol

http://i.imgur.com/Z0qpy6y.png
It seems to be a tunnel under the gearbox.
http://i.imgur.com/FMBZlp3.jpg
The red line highlights the vertical height difference that separates the floor on the reference plane from the outer 'stepped' floor, that is 50mm higher as per the tech regs.

OO7
OO7

f1rules wrote:does this look like apossible 2nd attachment point for the suspension, maybe comparing geometries
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/248 ... 0%20pm.png
I think that is one of the attach/release mechanism points for the nose.

giantfan10

Blaze1 wrote:
Nice comparison.

I was wondering if the wheelbase would have increased on he new car, because even though F1 features a high rate of development, I couldn't see anyone slimming a car down and making it appear more compact and so much tighter in such a short period of time. It just wouldn't make sense.
Ferrai said that development of the 2016 car started early in the 2015 season.
secondly the Mercedes aero advantage came from having better airflow going to the area above the diffuser. Ferrari pinpointed their nose style and the fact that their car was much thicker around the waist as the chief reason for their airflow deficit... they addressed both
Did you miss all the articles about ferrari moving engine components during the offseason? that was to enable them to have a better coke bottle at the back of the car (gearbox redesign, MGU-K moving from the back of the engine to the left side,clutch in the bell housing and a different radiator position) it was the 2015 engine layout that made the rear of the car so wide so why would it seem so impossible for them to make the rear of the car tighter after they made the room for that exact reason?
no the wheelbase did not increase.

giantfan10

ferkan wrote:Wondering why is Ferrari continuing with vertically longer sidepod intake design in comparison to RBR and in some way Merc's flatter style? Seems like flatter intakes give more space at the bottom to make undercut for air to pass.

RB style

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... very-4.jpg
because the intake shape doesnt really indicate what the radiator layout is in the sidepod....its all about what works for your entire car's airflow not just copy another team's solution and assume it will work for your car

OO7
OO7

giantfan10 wrote:Ferrai said that development of the 2016 car started early in the 2015 season.
secondly the Mercedes aero advantage came from having better airflow going to the area above the diffuser. Ferrari pinpointed their nose style and the fact that their car was much thicker around the waist as the chief reason for their airflow deficit... they addressed both
Did you miss all the articles about ferrari moving engine components during the offseason? that was to enable them to have a better coke bottle at the back of the car (gearbox redesign, MGU-K moving from the back of the engine to the left side,clutch in the bell housing and a different radiator position) it was the 2015 engine layout that made the rear of the car so wide so why would it seem so impossible for them to make the rear of the car tighter after they made the room for that exact reason?
no the wheelbase did not increase.
That must mean the 2015 car was very unoptimised for them to make such a leap? I still believe an extended wheelbase has likely also played a part, but repackaging also helped.

If Ferrari are using a variable air inlet system, they have packaged that very well, as it hasn't lead to a bulky engine cover as we saw with the W06.