Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Moose

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

I overlayed a path following the S15-T and the SF16-H on top of each other using the car centre line and the edge of the floor as a guide. As you can see, the S15-T is actually slightly narrower, however, the SF16-H is much much more aggressive in tapering in the coke bottle:

(S15-T and car centre line marked in black, SF16-T in red)

bhall II

giantfan10 wrote:no the wheelbase did not increase.
That certainly appears to be the case.

EDIT: The spans highlighted in yellow are fixed by the regulations. Since they're the same size in both instances and encompass three different areas of the car from front to back, we know the photos are proportioned correctly to one another and shot from the same perspective. Given those aspects, and two other helpful points of correlation, I think the assumption is valid.

Last edited by bhall II on 20 Feb 2016, 14:32, edited 4 times in total.

OO7
OO7

I stand very much corrected! I guess it goes to show how much development scope is still available in these cars.

Chuckjr

James Allison masterpiece. The flowing lines of this Ferrari actually took my breath away. Alison bringing some much needed refinement to the Reds. Nice. =D> =D> =D>
Watching F1 since 1986.

giantfan10

Blaze1 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:Ferrai said that development of the 2016 car started early in the 2015 season.
secondly the Mercedes aero advantage came from having better airflow going to the area above the diffuser. Ferrari pinpointed their nose style and the fact that their car was much thicker around the waist as the chief reason for their airflow deficit... they addressed both
Did you miss all the articles about ferrari moving engine components during the offseason? that was to enable them to have a better coke bottle at the back of the car (gearbox redesign, MGU-K moving from the back of the engine to the left side,clutch in the bell housing and a different radiator position) it was the 2015 engine layout that made the rear of the car so wide so why would it seem so impossible for them to make the rear of the car tighter after they made the room for that exact reason?
no the wheelbase did not increase.
That must mean the 2015 car was very unoptimised for them to make such a leap? I still believe an extended wheelbase has likely also played a part, but repackaging also helped.

If Ferrari are using a variable air inlet system, they have packaged that very well, as it hasn't lead to a bulky engine cover as we saw with the W06.
yes Ferrai is using a variable air inlet system for the 2016 car....
all the moving components were moved for aerodynamic reasons the performance upgrades ferrari are willing to talk about are: combustion chamber improvement, upgraded turbo, variable inlet system and smaller more ifficient(powerfull?) MGU-K.
yes the SF15T was not very optimised with its engine layout as it relates to aerodynamic gain. what bodes well for Ferrari is the fact that the SF15T was .3 off the Mercedes in race pace at the end of the year with all those built in flaws

Clown

Another Ferrari video:

michl420

Per wrote:
dot235 wrote:
Per wrote:That wishbone. Serious compromise in mechanical design.
I wouldn't exactly say it's a mechanical compromise, but it looks interesting...
Well, it is. Especially under braking, the junction of the wishbone will be loaded in shear / in-plane bending which is inherently less stiff than a conventionally shaped wishbone. So either you end up with a less stiff design or you make it stiffer again by adding weight, which is what they seem to have done here.
I think one reason why they do this is to bring the pull rod inside of the bodywork

dot235

ringo wrote:.
<...> I don't think the mid section is any less bulky, more or less the car is a little bit longer <...>
No.

EDIT:

Actually I migth be not entirely right, there appears to be a slight difference in wheel base

Gargantua

dot235 wrote:
ringo wrote:.
<...> I don't think the mid section is any less bulky, more or less the car is a little bit longer <...>
No.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CblMYH_UMAAnuMo.jpg:large

EDIT:

Actually I migth be not entirely right, there appears to be a slight difference in wheel base
http://i.imgur.com/RqO97BP.jpg
I thin that's because of the change in the rear tyre structure. Someplace I read that they tried to make it resemble to the mclaren's rear tyre so that may cause that little difference between 15t and 16h

f1rules

seems they adopted mclarens driveshaft solution, angling the driveshaft upward and forward going into the hot air outlet for not to dirty the downstream flows with the rotation of the driveshaft

dot235

Most probably. I'am guessing that's why the rear gets slightly bulkier towards the very end as opposed to getting progressively narrower.

Polemik

henra wrote:
dren wrote: Overall a very sleek, good looking car. They improved in all the right areas aero related.
Yup. I'm genuinely impressed by this car! Looks like a huge step forward.
Amazing coke bottle. Amazing general sidepod layout. Redbullish very short nose with maximum possible free space underneath. If they didn't f*ck up somewhere unnecessarily this looks like a genuine contender for Merc. Lightyears away from the rather bulky and conservative SF-15.
And moreover looking really good. I know, I know that's not a relevant criterion for a race car but still....
=D>

"Redbullish very short nose..."
= deffinitely NOT ! Its Williamsish nose - see FW37 from last seasson !!

f1rules

matt_s

dot235 wrote: EDIT:

The difference in this picture is due to the difference in perspective of the photos. The 16 is taken from a lower vantage point / wider angle.

matt_s

michl420 wrote:
Per wrote:
dot235 wrote: I wouldn't exactly say it's a mechanical compromise, but it looks interesting...
Well, it is. Especially under braking, the junction of the wishbone will be loaded in shear / in-plane bending which is inherently less stiff than a conventionally shaped wishbone. So either you end up with a less stiff design or you make it stiffer again by adding weight, which is what they seem to have done here.
I think one reason why they do this is to bring the pull rod inside of the bodywork
It also appears that it may be working in conjunction with the winglets around the brake ducts to clean up flow to the diffuser.