Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

bhall II

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

GPR-A wrote:I am not an aero expert, but this is just what I feel. It appears as if there is too much of unmanaged airflow at the rear that is creating, more than necessary drag while exiting the car. So, it seems like a desperate attempt to break the pressure and reduce the drag at the rear. It is quite possible that, they are simply unable to send as much pressured air to rear as they want and efficiently handle what they are sending.
Reading this sentence aloud will probably create more worrisome drag than anything affixed to that diffuser.

The element highlighted in yellow is likely intended to divert air flow that might otherwise pass over the diffuser to instead be fed to the force-enhancing edge vortex. The flaps that extend across the width of the diffuser help to "drive" it in much the same way beam wings were formerly used to "drive" diffusers.

There's nothing untoward going on here.

The difference between the Ferrari diffuser and those seen on the McLaren and Red Bull is a difference in philosophy. McBull appears to seek peak downforce; Ferrari appears to seek consistent downforce.
giantfan10 wrote:Running more wing than other cars on average shoots the assumption that they have great aero right in the foot
No. Just no.

analyst_one

He said: “Maurizio [Arrivabene] will tell you we delayed some things to allow for the 2015 car to be finished.
“Hopefully he will not bitch about this. We pushed the start of some of the work on the 2016 cars on the chassis, delayed it a bit.
“But we have had adequate time and adequate financial resources to do the right thing given the rules.”

Source : https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/01/ ... ally-mean/

It appears the team started late on the SF 16 H, but that doesn't quite explain the chassis related issues (aero, tyre) they seem to be are facing.
How could the team move from great to mediocre in these aspects in just a year ?. SF has large engineering teams - I am genuinely lost here.

f1316

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vette ... nd-804376/

If this is true it would be at least be encouraging - not necessarily in terms of pure success but from the perspective of being purposeful.

I wonder what exactly they could have learned from the last few races that they didn't get in the first eight or so? It feels like it's usually the tyres 'to blame' this year but there's certainly more to it than that and "more downforce" is obviously not specific enough to be of any use.

Let's see what they produce in the second half of the season, I guess.

ME4ME

f1316 wrote:http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vette ... nd-804376/

If this is true it would be at least be encouraging - not necessarily in terms of pure success but from the perspective of being purposeful.

I wonder what exactly they could have learned from the last few races that they didn't get in the first eight or so? It feels like it's usually the tyres 'to blame' this year but there's certainly more to it than that and "more downforce" is obviously not specific enough to be of any use.

Let's see what they produce in the second half of the season, I guess.
"The last couple of races have been tougher for us and better for them [Red Bull], but I'm sure the second half will be better for us again and we'll be more competitive."
Vettel seems to imply that they'll improve the car for the 2nd half of the season, but that will obviously take resources away from the 2017 project. Not sure if it's wise to pursue '16, even if it's gaining them a better understanding of their issues..

scuderiafan

Not necessarily, it could mean that they are working out how to get more comfortable chassis set-ups for the drivers. Arrivabene has stated that the SF16-H has a sensitive setup window and they may be learning now how to better set up the car going forward.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

Thunder

@zioture: Wrong Thread. Check here for 2017 Tires on a 2015 Car: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 6&start=60
Last edited by Thunder on 01 Aug 2016, 11:28, edited 2 times in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

santos

I like that rear wing. Is it already designed with the rules for 2017? I thought that it wouldn't be so tall.

paddyf1

I dont think thats next years rear wing, its just for the purpose of the test !!??

Juzh

paddyf1 wrote:I dont think thats next years rear wing, its just for the purpose of the test !!??
Yes.