Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF16-H

Austin - Wednesday

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

lio007

Missing exhaust, any idea why?

cramr

lio007 wrote:Missing exhaust, any idea why?
Maybe car in transport configuration, No engine fitted yet

F1NAC

so this is how center pylon looks inside exhaust

f300v10

A shot of the splitter winglet that fell of Seb's car in Austin in FP. Similar to the Red Bull design but larger:

Image via @AlbertFabrega

And another view via AMUS:

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bl4zar_

Was the new splitter winglet used in FP2?

Godius

Morteza wrote:Austin - Wednesday

Interesting roll hoop wing design.

bhall II

With this new setup decluttering the rear of the SF16-H, the air can flow through a widened furrow in the car floor. That way, it can go across the entire width of the diffuser (see middle picture with the pressure sensors used to measure how efficient the diffuser is). The tighter the back of a car is, the faster the air flows above the diffuser, which in turn contributes towards sucking more air from underneath the car in conjunction with the diffuser.
That's either a myth that refuses to die or I'm just flat-out wrong about diffusers. Let's assume the latter.

In terms of the fluid mechanics, does anyone understand how accelerating air flow over the diffuser is beneficial?

By extension, should we be concerned about the mental well-being of the so-called "engineers" who were responsible for McLaren's mushroom suspension? If the diffuser logic is true, not only was the original design recklessly ill-considered, the steps taken to make it work were inexplicably stupid.

And what about the "designers" who still insist upon these things, whatever they're called?

From my perspective, accelerating air over the diffuser seems like just about the last thing you'd want to do.

Anyone?

hollus

Agree. The thing still works on a pressure differential.
But then, the Coanda exhausts worked a bit like this, didn't they? The article might be blowing hot air, but I guess under the right circumstances the faster air above the diffuser more than pays for itself by improving flow under the diffuser. Probably vortex related? As in helping the vortexes in the diffuser, which have no counterpart over the floor.
Anyways, the way they relate "wider" and faster seems a bit off. They probably mean "unimpeded". And unimpeded has been the name of the game since the 90s at least, I guess the gains under the floor outweight the losses above it.
Rivals, not enemies.

wuzak

bhall II wrote:
With this new setup decluttering the rear of the SF16-H, the air can flow through a widened furrow in the car floor. That way, it can go across the entire width of the diffuser (see middle picture with the pressure sensors used to measure how efficient the diffuser is). The tighter the back of a car is, the faster the air flows above the diffuser, which in turn contributes towards sucking more air from underneath the car in conjunction with the diffuser.
That's either a myth that refuses to die or I'm just flat-out wrong about diffusers. Let's assume the latter.

http://stefanontech.weebly.com/uploads/ ... 5_orig.jpg

In terms of the fluid mechanics, does anyone understand how accelerating air flow over the diffuser is beneficial?

By extension, should we be concerned about the mental well-being of the so-called "engineers" who were responsible for McLaren's mushroom suspension? If the diffuser logic is true, not only was the original design recklessly ill-considered, the steps taken to make it work were inexplicably stupid.

http://i.imgur.com/qJDc5xJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8KMc1Mb.jpg

And what about the "designers" who still insist upon these things, whatever they're called?

http://i.imgur.com/mlGcgs9.jpg

From my perspective, accelerating air over the diffuser seems like just about the last thing you'd want to do.

Anyone?
Wasn't the idea behind McLaren's blockers to create turbulence, and thus a low pressure region behind the diffuser in order to suck more air out of the diffuser?

As for wanting more air above the exit of the diffuser, I would think the aim there is to do the same, but in a more efficient manner.

The picture of the Ferrari shows that they are attempting to guide the air with the vanes upwards, creating a low pressure region around the diffuser. Not long ago they had a beam wing to aid in that endeavour.

George-Jung

First of all I am an aerodynamic noob; but regarding the diffuser..

If you would speed up the air passing over the diffuser, wouldn't it actually 'stall' it?

And regarding the blown diffusers; were they not just sealing the diffuser on both ends..? Rather than speeding up the air over the diffuser?

What could help imho is help 're-direct' the air coming out underneath the diffuser upwards.. this was -if I am correct- the purpose (+keeping the 'air' attached to the underside of the rearwing) of the beamwing, not?

Pierce89

bhall II wrote:

http://stefanontech.weebly.com/uploads/ ... 5_orig.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qJDc5xJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8KMc1Mb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mlGcgs9.jpg

Anyone?
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the high energy topside side flow entraining the lower energy diffuser flow to increase mass flow through the venturi system.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

bhall II

wuzak wrote:Wasn't the idea behind McLaren's blockers to create turbulence, and thus a low pressure region behind the diffuser in order to suck more air out of the diffuser?
Yes, that's one reason why the article's explanation is senseless.
We're apparently supposed to believe the team "decluttered" the rear of the car and then cut a channel into the floor in order to accelerate air flow and then aim it directly at the single-most obstructed area over the diffuser.

:wtf: