2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
baybars

Re: 2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

If true (new Redbull )The word/rumour is 1 second per lap quicker (based on simulator data).
I am not sure is it enough for podium

Santozini

baybars wrote:
03 May 2017, 09:22
If true (new Redbull )The word/rumour is 1 second per lap quicker (based on simulator data).
One second is quite a big chunk of time, not impossible but difficult. May I ask where are these rumors coming from?

baybars

Santozini wrote:
03 May 2017, 09:59
baybars wrote:
03 May 2017, 09:22
One second is quite a big chunk of time, not impossible but difficult. May I ask where are these rumors coming from?
I read some comment on related Redbull upgrade news

BosF1

hollus wrote:
02 May 2017, 21:32
A prediction: For the first time we will see cars choosing to pit because they cannot get close enough to the car they are supposed to lap. In some conditions, people will lose pace to the extent that they will be unable to get within 1 second of the car they are trying to lap, and thus they'll get no blue flags.
And I think this (having to choose pitting to get out of lapped traffic) will happen more than once.
IMHO ;-)
It's nice to have this downforce dependency back, isn't it? :wink: :lol:

We got the best drivers in the world, in the fastest cornering cars ever build, yet they aren't able to closely follow each other because of that downforce. Indeed, it will be easier to overtake by going for the undercut, hence less overtaking on track and more via strategy / pit stops. It's 2004 all over again. How many races do you think we have before the average viewer starts noticing that races have become more dull because of lack of overtaking?

Sevach

After 2 power tracks we get to one that's all about downforce, so i think Ferrari should be favored in this one.

AnthonyG

But those older races were fun because you had refueling, something we don't have anymore... Now it's 1 or 2 critical pitstops in stead of 2-3...
Last edited by AnthonyG on 03 May 2017, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Vasconia

BosF1 wrote:
03 May 2017, 11:12
hollus wrote:
A prediction: For the first time we will see cars choosing to pit because they cannot get close enough to the car they are supposed to lap. In some conditions, people will lose pace to the extent that they will be unable to get within 1 second of the car they are trying to lap, and thus they'll get no blue flags.
And I think this (having to choose pitting to get out of lapped traffic) will happen more than once.
IMHO ;-)

We got the best drivers in the world, in the fastest cornering cars ever build, yet they aren't able to closely follow each other because of that downforce. Indeed, it will be easier to overtake by going for the undercut, hence less overtaking on track and more via strategy / pit stops. It's 2004 all over again. How many races do you think we have before the average viewer starts noticing that races have become more dull because of lack of overtaking?
I dont see so many complains thanks to the close fight between Ferrari and Mercedes. Just only imagine 2015´s season with these cars, it would be the epitom of boredom. :o

Artur Craft

GPR-A wrote:
02 May 2017, 17:54
Prediction
Pole Time: A low 1m20.xxx
Pole Sitter: Sebastian Vettel.

I am hoping for a surprise pole from RB, with their HEAVILY revised RB13. Is there a news on Renault's MGU fix?
Renault's engine update is scheduled for Canada, so don't hold your breath expecting much from RB and we still have to wait to see how big that engine improvement will be because the gap to Mercedes' and Ferrari's PU is huge, atm.

It's funny to see such conservative prediction now. I remember on winter testings when some people got carried away and started predicting high 1.16 for pole :lol:

I stick to my winter testing prediction of mid 1.18 for pole as I expect the improvement on Barcelona to be between 3 to 3.5s.
Juzh wrote:
02 May 2017, 21:42
hard tires lol.
As you know it, Barcelona's tarmac is much more rough than Sochi's and the corners are longer and faster so the tyres are gonna wear far more. Don't know if Hards will be necessary but even the Medium should wear some 2s after some 25 laps

BosF1

Vasconia wrote:
03 May 2017, 11:31
BosF1 wrote:
hollus wrote:
IMHO ;-)

I dont see so many complains thanks to the close fight between Ferrari and Mercedes. Just only imagine 2015´s season with these cars, it would be the epitom of boredom. :o
They are (almost) equally fast and that is great! But I'm not talking about that, but overtaking in general. Because of the (increase in) downforce I think it will get a whole lot more difficult to overtake on almost any track, hence the reference to 2004, when many 'overtakes' where done by strategy.

marvin78

For one that's boring and for another one it's not and it is even exiting, watching if anyone can crack this problem. Inflatunary overtaking is boring too.

Vasconia

BosF1 wrote:
03 May 2017, 11:37
Vasconia wrote:
03 May 2017, 11:31
BosF1 wrote:

They are (almost) equally fast and that is great! But I'm not talking about that, but overtaking in general. Because of the (increase in) downforce I think it will get a whole lot more difficult to overtake on almost any track, hence the reference to 2004, when many 'overtakes' where done by strategy.
Yeah, I was refering to that. The lack of overtakes can make the races much more boring for some people but the close fight is masking the reality.

The only difference with 2004 is that refuelling used to make things more interesting with a great variety of strategies.

iotar__

AnthonyG wrote:
03 May 2017, 11:28
But those older races were fun because you had refueling, something we don't have anymore... Now it's 1 or 2 critical pitstops in stead of 2-3...
I almost hope they'd bring refuelling back so we could see that it doesn't work like that:
- Starting with different weight that creates predictable 1-2 stint in advance on top of fake grid. if you vary fuel it's easier to affect team-mates results
- Heavy cars at the start are good enough reason to forget refuelling, see start and 1st stint in Russia creating a difference and everything equalising to cars later.

- Ferrari will be the quickest, 1st max downforce race, small gaps
- mediums will cause problems
- Bottas will have car problems
- I'm sceptical about undercut/car following doom&gloom theories because the number of stops, overtaking and variation in strategies are connected, before the race starts =P~ .

figo

I think your predictions about pole time are too conservative...
During winter testing the best time on soft compound tires, was 1.19.3 by Sebastian Vettel and he did 4 consecutive laps at low 1.19....
So, if you consider engine modes, fuel loads and some sandbagging :D , i believe that, during testing Ferraris were able for 1.18.3.
And the winter testing was almost 2 months ago. Probably they found 0.3 - 0.5 from then.
Now, due to higher temperatures is expected to loose some time as well, but i strongly believe that the pole will be 1.17.8 - 1.18.0 from Kimi.

CBeck113

Seb for pole and win, Ferrari 1-2, Merc starts to self-destruct with a war between Toto and Niki igniting (just for fun, of course) because Niki wants to help Lewis stay close and have Valerri let him pass.... RB still in no-man's land (I wonder if Adrian has figured out what Ferrari has done with their sidepods? Sorry.... :-) ), Ric in front of Verstappen for a change.
Oh, and one safety car because of a colision between Stroll and Palmer...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Nuvolari

Sevach wrote:
03 May 2017, 11:26
After 2 power tracks we get to one that's all about downforce, so i think Ferrari should be favored in this one.
Timing one of Bottas' 1:19.XXX laps from testing, was around 67-69% full throttle, so the power sensitivity is not that different to Sochi? I can see the Mercedes doing well in sectors 1 & 2. I don't expect the Ferrari to dominate here. Would be good if they can come out on top.