2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DVB

Re: 2017 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, 12-14 May

GPR-A wrote:
14 May 2017, 15:43
DVB wrote:
13 May 2017, 22:58
Fingers crossed for a pass from Vettel on Hamilton at the start. Im curious how that Merc performs in dirty air.
Hope you got the answers. :)
Yeah indeed! It seems have improved on that part. Kudo's to Merc.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

aral
aral

DVB wrote:
14 May 2017, 17:56
GPR-A wrote:
DVB wrote:
13 May 2017, 22:58
Fingers crossed for a pass from Vettel on Hamilton at the start. Im curious how that Merc performs in dirty air.
Not really! the merc dropped away quite rapidly after seb got ahead at the start. The later pass by Hamilton only happened due to DRS, and because Seb was on slower tyres

Sieper

VSC came at a great time for Merc. They profited optimally.

GPR-A duplicate2

aral wrote:
14 May 2017, 17:59
DVB wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
Not really! the merc dropped away quite rapidly after seb got ahead at the start. The later pass by Hamilton only happened due to DRS, and because Seb was on slower tyres
Looks like you watched a different race. After first lap, the gap between Vettel and Lewis was 2.2 seconds and it was 2.6 seconds maximum. After 10 laps, Lewis started pulling it back and the gap when Vettel pitted, was 2.1 seconds, which then forced Ferrari to go for a pit stop to avoid an undercut.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 14 May 2017, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

DVB

aral wrote:
DVB wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
I don't agree on that. Hamilton was holding a 2.5s gap to Vettel in the first stint. Suddenly Hamilton started closing in and i think it even got to 1s / 1.3s when we afterwards heard the radio transcript from Mercedes to Ham, where he was told to push.

After Vettel did his pit stop, Hamilton still did some good laps but then hit the cliff (losing 1-2s a lap).

In the first races, Mercedes could never keep that pace behind Ferrari.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

toraabe
toraabe

henra wrote:
14 May 2017, 15:10
Juzh wrote:
14 May 2017, 15:07
You just seen the most evidence you can have of how merc has tons more power than ferrari. Vettel pulling the slipstream and still 10 kph slower than hamilton 10 car legths behind.
Yup. That's easily >30-40HP difference, probably more. Impressive.
With the new engine they are able to run max power ( same as in qualifying )more often than before.

Artur Craft

Wow, can't believe my post was so promptely deleted. I guess there is some moderator in here who is very fond of Hamilton and don't want people saying anything which isn't "he's the best driver ever". My post didn't even have anything negative about him. Just pointing out the second driver treatment of Bottas and confirming Juzh's opinion of Hamilton being lucky(but on a overall context, not only on this race)

GPR-A duplicate2

Artur Craft wrote:
14 May 2017, 18:11
Wow, can't believe my post was so promptely deleted. I guess there is some moderator in here who is very fond of Hamilton and don't want people saying anything which isn't "he's the best driver ever". My post didn't even have anything negative about him. Just pointing out the second driver treatment of Bottas and confirming Juzh's opinion of Hamilton being lucky(but on a overall context, not only on this race)
Race threads are increasingly becoming cry baby threads. I appreciate if the moderators keep an eye and remove the junk posts that have no relevance to the actual race. On those lines, except for being a conspiracy theory and berating a driver's achievement, I don't think your post has anything to add value.

Mods, please feel free to delete this post of mine too, along with the original post.

aral
aral

GPR-A wrote:
14 May 2017, 18:05
aral wrote:
DVB wrote:

Looks like you watched a different race. After first lap, the gap between Vettel and Lewis was 2.2 seconds and it was 2.6 seconds maximum. After 10 laps, Lewis started pulling it back and the gap when Vettel pitted, was 2.1 seconds, which then forced Ferrari to go for a pit stop to avoid an undercut.
Off course different people will have different opinions, but the fact was that the Merc could not get close enough to the Ferrari to get into DRS range. There is absolutely no evidence to show that the Nerc could follow another car closely.

Giblet
Giblet

Artur Craft wrote:
14 May 2017, 18:11
As a former mod here we just don't see any driver dick measuring. It gets very old very fast and brings the conversation about the race to a stand still.

Posts that are rants about Driver A vs Driver B in a thread about a race is not required.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

aral wrote:
14 May 2017, 18:22
GPR-A wrote:
14 May 2017, 18:05
aral wrote:

Off course different people will have different opinions, but the fact was that the Merc could not get close enough to the Ferrari to get into DRS range. There is absolutely no evidence to show that the Nerc could follow another car closely.
I'm sorry but he was replying to your comment 'the merc dropped away quite rapidly'. It didn't it went out to the usual gap Hamilton likes to keep against a car on the same tyres. It stayed static at around that deficit. That is gap and tyre temp management and not him dropping away. The Ferrari went in the pits and Hamilton set a new fastest lap the following lap. Which showed he wasn't even attempting to catch up Vettel because that lap showed he had that time in his pocket.

That isn't guesswork that is what happened.

henra
henra

Restomaniac wrote:
14 May 2017, 17:25
As a team you need to react to the here and now. Hoping gets you nothing. You are looking at it in hindsight which is always 20/20. Ferrari thought Mercedes were going to undercut and reacted, incorrectly as it happens.
Ferrari seems to be too much focused on what Merc might be doing and lets easily force themselves in sub- optimum strategies. In a 2 stop race you don't have to worry too much about the undercut in the first stop but in the second one.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

henra wrote:
14 May 2017, 18:58
Restomaniac wrote:
14 May 2017, 17:25
As a team you need to react to the here and now. Hoping gets you nothing. You are looking at it in hindsight which is always 20/20. Ferrari thought Mercedes were going to undercut and reacted, incorrectly as it happens.
Ferrari seems to be too much focused on what Merc might be doing and lets easily force themselves in sub- optimum strategies. In a 2 stop race you don't have to worry too much about the undercut in the first stop but in the second one.
Agreed. No doubt Mercedes know this hence the mind games over team radio.

hollus

hollus wrote:
02 May 2017, 21:32
A prediction: For the first time we will see cars choosing to pit because they cannot get close enough to the car they are supposed to lap. In some conditions, people will lose pace to the extent that they will be unable to get within 1 second of the car they are trying to lap, and thus they'll get no blue flags.
And I think this (having to choose pitting to get out of lapped traffic) will happen more than once.
IMHO ;-)
In retrospect... I think I will sell my crystal ball. Lapping was definitively on and even overtaking was on, while very difficult. At least as much on as in the last years.

Regarding strategy, I get the feeling that Hamilton just had a little extra speed compared to Vettel. He could have won the race at the start (didn't), he could have won with an undercut in the first pit (didn't, foiled), he could have won by then having a different strategy (didn't but created the conditions for the first quasi-pass), and then won on much better tires. Too many ways to win, one or the other was bound to work and kudos to the team for keeping them all alive.
That he could latch to Vettel at first, kind of hang-on with mediums and then stretch his last softs for almost 30 laps tells the story. Virtually no defence against that without Kimi.

And a permanent THANKYOU to the moderators. They do what they can and like with refrees, although they are not always right, without them there would be no game at all. 👏👏👏💪💪💪
Rivals, not enemies.

presure2
presure2

wow..i thought that was a great race! good job by hamilton & crew, as much as i would hate to admit it, they just did a better job today...looks like the upgrades have worked, seemed like hammy was better in traffic than the first handful of races, and kudos to ocon and the FI guys! impressive, even if the ver/kimi/bot retirements haddnt of happen, they still would have been tops of the midfield...can anyone tell what is going on with williams???? i thought for sure they would be better than what they showed here?!?!?!