2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Treble

Re: 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 08:52
Treble wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 08:40
NathanOlder wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 17:41

Why do people keep saying 4th or 5th for Seb. BOTTAS AND MAX NEVER CAUGHT him. Even without rear gunner kimi , it was only Lewis who would have had ago JEEEEEEZ!

All people are getting at is, Ferrari risked a 1-2 or 1-3 by doing what they did. If Lewis passed Kimi through a Kimi mistake and then managed to pasa Vettel as easy as you people think, it would have been a 2-3 for Ferrari and Lewis would be leading the championship. Fortunately for Ferrari the risk paid off. They Gambled and it worked this time. Any other track (other than monaco) it probably would have backfired.

They took a risky 1-2 instead of (at worse) an easy 1-3 but probably still a 1-2 with Kimi 1st. Their choice meant a 2-3 was possible. If they swapped them around a win was guaranteed (reliability being good)
You forgot that Vet couldn't use the kerbs. He was trying to be gentle with the steering wheel. This means that if Hamilton had a chance to attack Vet we could have seen a Silverstone similar situation, when Vettel ruined his tyres to fight vs Bottas.
We could have but we'll never know. For all we know Seb could have held Lewis off no problem. Dont say Vettel couldnt use kerbs because Vettel was still using the kerbs. He just wasnt hitting them hard, like in the chicane where they are very big.
Yeah all right, but it was riskier to leave Vet vs Ham. Ferrari had the perfect tactic here, only Merc fans and british Press say the contrary. I don't know why... :wink: :wink:

basti313

komninosm wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 22:23
ferkan wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 17:19
LH44 fans "Why didnt Ferrari, instead of winning and taking 1-2 like they did, take 1-5 and let Kimi, who is currently 5th on WDC list and only has matematical chance of winning, win the race?
Jesus...
Do you remember the "outcry" from Ferrari fans when HAM asked the team to tell BOT to help him in previous races?
In much more clear ways.
Oh the irony...
Why Ferrari fans? I also thought it was well on the poor side and nonsense in Baku.
Don`t russel the hamster!

basti313

Another nice team radio, which I missed during the race:

Rai to Di Resta after impeding him under blue flags
Raikkonen: “I mean if he cannot see behind then he stay on the reporting stuff.” :mrgreen:

Vasconia

George-Jung wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 09:34
It is beginning to look like some 'Hamboys' cant coop with the fact that Ferrari just had a perfect weekend witg 1-2's everywhere when it mattered ánd Vettel leading the WDC with a healthy margin during the summerbreak.

The fact that Kimi had such a poor start this season- makes life easy for Ferrari, because it is the obvious that they now 100% back Vettel.
Indeed, and if now Kimi can deliver it will helpful for Vettel but also for the team to collect more points. Perfet situation for Ferrari.

Vasconia

ChrisDanger wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 08:16
The Hulkenberg/Magnussen "suck my balls" incident (at about 1:10/1:36).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrlTuYmSiZo
Magnussen´s move deserved a penalty. Now he answers Hulk with totally unappropiate words and the team backs him saying that Hulk is a "bully". Nonsense. #-o

Mandrake

komninosm wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 22:23
ferkan wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 17:19
LH44 fans "Why didnt Ferrari, instead of winning and taking 1-2 like they did, take 1-5 and let Kimi, who is currently 5th on WDC list and only has matematical chance of winning, win the race?
Jesus...
Do you remember the "outcry" from Ferrari fans when HAM asked the team to tell BOT to help him in previous races?
In much more clear ways.
Oh the irony...
Which irony? I did not hear a single radio call in the race where Vettel asked for Ferrari assistance. Unlike Hamilton in your example.
langwadt wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 00:35
cplchanb wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 00:28
komninosm wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 23:04
So what exactly was the problem with VET steering wheel?
he probably hit a curb too hard and knocked it out of alignment. happens to road cars as well
you could see the angle on his T cam
he said it happened already when they dropped the car on the starting grid
Whatever it was, it seems to be more than just a misalignment because Vettel said it reacted differently in every corner and was getting worse throughout the race. Sounds like something got misaligned and loose at the same time. You can see him working quite hard in some corners to make the car do what he wanted.

ferkan

Bottas blowing up his engine while defending hard against Vettel in Spain (who he wasnt even racing) while he was on course for 3rd place was seen as "great team effort". He pretty much fought for Hamilton to get his win, while he risked (and in the end lost) his old engine he was running in that race.

Bottas not holding Vettel there and finishing 3rd, while Hamilton retained 2nd place, would mean now Bottas would be ahead of Hamilton in WDC. But please, continue with inane arguing over Ferrari not ordering Vettel to move for a driver who is 100pts behind in WDC standings (and losing 1-2 in process). Seriously irrational thinking.

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
31 Jul 2017, 12:06
AMG.Tzan wrote:
30 Jul 2017, 15:53
If there is a hypocrite in here it is Ferrari! Raikkonen was much faster yet they risked everything for their boy Vettel!
Define everything.

In my book they´re fighting for the title, not for a single victory... They did what they´re supposed to do, fighting for the title maximizing all their chances. Letting Kimi fight Seb would have been utterly stupid

And yes, I think from Mercedes and Lewis point of view, returning position with Bottas was utterly stupid, they gifted 3 points advantage to Vettel/Ferrari. Serious racing teams don´t gift anything to their rivals.
I tend to agree with you but at the same time I think that from now on Bottal will help Lewis even more because he feels "moral" bound to do it. 3 points lost but I guess Valtter will "give" more than those three to Hamilton.

Anyway, Ferrari did what it was more logic. It was an easy 1-2 for them but Vettel´s problem gave us some emotion.

Anything has changed as Mercedes is faster on many circuits and Spa wil be dominated by them again. I expect an important update by Ferrari for Monza, they need it if they want to fight for the championship.

iotar__

ferkan wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 10:14
Bottas blowing up his engine while defending hard against Vettel in Spain (who he wasnt even racing) while he was on course for 3rd place was seen as "great team effort". He pretty much fought for Hamilton to get his win, while he risked (and in the end lost) his old engine he was running in that race.

Bottas not holding Vettel there and finishing 3rd, while Hamilton retained 2nd place, would mean now Bottas would be ahead of Hamilton in WDC. But please, continue with inane arguing over Ferrari not ordering Vettel to move for a driver who is 100pts behind in WDC standings (and losing 1-2 in process). Seriously irrational thinking.
Ferrari and Mercedes can do what they want but don't lie about team orders like Vettel did in Monaco and don't treat audience like fools. Don't pretend why you keep Raikkonen either or that this season is better without Rosberg. Points make no difference they are identical in that regard.

Meanwhile in alternative realities: "Hamilton's act of self-harm will delight Ferrari" http://www.autosport.com/premium/featur ... ht-ferrari Self harm meaning qualifying behind Bottas and poor start that put him in sixth? BTW say swap one more time, I dare you :x . The only swap for Hamilton was manufactured by Verstappen: from sixth to fourth.

- Palmer's avoiding Ricciardo was the highlight of this race and of his F1 career. :D
- It's always a good sign when the main topic after the race is team orders x 2 by two top teams.

ackzsel

iotar__ wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 10:27
...Meanwhile in alternative realities: "Hamilton's act of self-harm will delight Ferrari" http://www.autosport.com/premium/featur ... ht-ferrari ...
I'm afraid that link is behind a pay-wall.

mkay

ferkan wrote:

Conveniently forgetting Hamilton's gearbox issue in Austria which likely robbed him of a podium, if not the win (+13 points) and the win in Baku with his headrest issue in Baku (+15 points).

Manoah2u

so...did anyone catch this gem? :D

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

basti313

mkay wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 11:27
ferkan wrote:

Conveniently forgetting Hamilton's gearbox issue in Austria which likely robbed him of a podium, if not the win (+13 points) and the win in Baku with his headrest issue in Baku (+15 points).
Oh my god...after Rosberg left and Hamilton got his sidekick instead of a contender I was hoping that we do not need to count through the points every race thread...
#-o

WaikeCU

Anyone thought Vettel's steering issue was safe enough to continue the whole race, knowing that it was already the case when the car was dropped on the starting grid? Imagine him turning and nothing happens. Poo? :D

ferkan

mkay wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 11:27
ferkan wrote:

What? He qualified 4th and finished 4th. How did it rob him a win? My point is, Bottas literally sacrificed himself for Hamiltons win while Kimi stayed where he was (in part of season where he is already well out WDC competition).