2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

foxmulder_ms wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 01:46
Artur Craft wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 01:21

Are you being sarcastic? Seriously..:)
"Artur" isn't known as being a Hamilton supporter...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GPR-A duplicate2

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 18:29
foxmulder_ms wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 01:46
Artur Craft wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 01:21

Are you being sarcastic? Seriously..:)
"Artur" isn't known as being a Hamilton supporter...
You need to feel for the man. He has been living with the pain of seeing a driver that he doesn't like, getting poles, wins and Championships for all these years. Spare a thought. I do. :lol:

adb
adb

Mattchu wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 15:28
They may even get "done" by the Haas cars, the gap in Australia was ~1 sec which may just be do-able...
Can't see a reason for a pace swing this big, especially with RBR doing quite well there last year

McHonda
McHonda

TAG wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 05:02
makecry wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 03:38

Eh. ALO has never had a car he can show his qualifying speed in last 10 years but he has been just as fast as anyone out there when he has had the car to show his speed. But yeah, carry on :)
It's not so much about the car it's about the teammate. If you think this record speaks volumes, then so be it. I have a different opinion based on these results and the guys he's gone up against. He makes up for it with great starts though. :)

https://i.imgur.com/vryYKFx.png

Anyway back on topic, he's sure to beat Vandoorne this weekend.
Why does that chart have Button winning qualifying 10-8 in 2015? Other way around,no?

Also not sure how that chart is supposed to highlight a quali flaw. Doesn't Alonso statistically have the best quali record vs. team mates of anyone on the grid?

Dec.2016 this was posted on another forum so unfortunately it doesn't include 2017, Bottas would have dropped and Lewis gone up a bit for a start but it highlights his dominance on a Saturday. Strength of team mate is important but he's got 5 team mates on there with a greater than 50% record whereas Lewis has 4 for example so it's not too shabby is it?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

That just shows how poor some of Alonso's team mates have been. Likewise, Schuie's record is helped no end by having Rubens next to him for his dominant Ferrari period.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

McHonda
McHonda

It shows the same thing the guy I was replying to showed. (His record against team mates)

Some have been poorer than others sure but like I said there are 5 of his team mates with over 50% records in qualifying and his is over 70% so saying he lacks on a Saturday doesn't stand up to scrutiny at all. He all but matched 2 of the best qualifiers of the past 20yrs in Lewis and Trulli so a lack of pace over a lap isn't backed up by his record against team mates as suggested.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

McHonda wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 23:20
TAG wrote:
makecry wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 03:38

Eh. ALO has never had a car he can show his qualifying speed in last 10 years but he has been just as fast as anyone out there when he has had the car to show his speed. But yeah, carry on :)
It's not so much about the car it's about the teammate. If you think this record speaks volumes, then so be it. I have a
different opinion based on these results and the guys he's gone up against. He makes up for it with great starts though. :)

Why does that chart have Button winning qualifying 10-8 in 2015? Other way around,no?

Also not sure how that chart is supposed to highlight a quali flaw. Doesn't Alonso statistically have the best quali record vs. team mates of anyone on the grid?

Dec.2016 this was posted on another forum so unfortunately it doesn't include 2017, Bottas would have dropped and Lewis gone up a bit for a start but it highlights his dominance on a Saturday. Strength of team mate is important but he's got 5 team mates on there with a greater than 50% record whereas Lewis has 4 for example so it's not too shabby is it?

https://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/12/27/97/52/image_23.png
How can Palmer be at over 50%? There is something very wrong here.

TAG

McHonda wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 01:49
It shows the same thing the guy I was replying to showed. (His record against team mates)

Some have been poorer than others sure but like I said there are 5 of his team mates with over 50% records in qualifying and his is over 70% so saying he lacks on a Saturday doesn't stand up to scrutiny at all. He all but matched 2 of the best qualifiers of the past 20yrs in Lewis and Trulli so a lack of pace over a lap isn't backed up by his record against team mates as suggested.
You can hardly compare the quality of teammates. Trulli, Fisichella, Piquet a cucked Massa? I can respect anyone being a fan of a driver, I do not have to extend the same courtesy to anyone being fanatical about a driver. Additionally Alonso did lose in qualifying against a rookie in 2007. So let's take a look at a more "telling" chart. That's the problem with anything statistical here in the race thread, is that people are much more willing to look the other way in the face of all statistical evidence. You don't have to feel slighted any time someone mentions a perceived weakness.

The race is this weekend, we've got more important things to discuss rather than rehash the past, right?
Last edited by TAG on 05 Apr 2018, 04:20, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

McHonda
McHonda

Hammerfist wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 04:07
McHonda wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 23:20
TAG wrote:

It's not so much about the car it's about the teammate. If you think this record speaks volumes, then so be it. I have a
different opinion based on these results and the guys he's gone up against. He makes up for it with great starts though. :)

https://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/12/27/97/52/image_23.png
How can Palmer be at over 50%? There is something very wrong here.
Remember it's only up to Dec.2016 and Palmer "won" quali 11-10 over K-Mag in 2016. (Just raw numbers, no context for every battle like reliability)

McHonda
McHonda

TAG wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 04:15
McHonda wrote:
05 Apr 2018, 01:49

You can hardly compare the quality of teammates. Trulli, Fisichella, Piquet a cucked Massa? I can respect anyone being a fan of a driver, I don not have to extend the same courtesy to anyone being fanatical about a driver. Additionally Alonso did lose in qualifying against a rookie in 2007. So let's take a look at a more "telling" chart. That's the problem with anything statistical here in the race thread, is that people are much more willing to look the other way in the face of all statistical evidence. You don't have to feel slighted any time someone mentions a perceived weakness.

http://i.imgur.com/ICxXc2L.png

The race is this weekend, we've got more important things to discuss rather than rehash the past, right?
Fanatical? For providing a response with some facts?

No idea what your problem is but if you use a record against team mates to suggest a weakness then what's wrong with using that exact same record to highlight it actually shows the opposite. Questioning the strength of team mates is fair which is why I addressed that. No-one claimed he had the toughest team mates in history but it's a fact 5 of them have won over half of their own quali battles in their careers so it's not exactly a list of Piquet jrs.

Sorry if that's inconvenient to the point you tried to make but I'm not slighted. I just happened to know he has the best record on the grid when it comes to qualifying against team mates because I saw that chart before elsewhere so was surprised to read someone try to say it's that exact same record that highlights a weakness so responded, politely, and enquired why as it doesn't make an ounce of sense. It's the equivalent of someone claiming Lewis is rubbish in the races then showing his winning record against team mates in races as the proof. Twice.

I'd have preferred it if we'd stayed on Bahrain from the get go and considering you've just posted the exact same record again as if its still highlighting something different would suggest you don't quite grasp what you're looking at so yeah,lets move on.

johnny vee

So we know that the DRS zone on the main straight has been extended by 100m.
Apparently the chasing car will be able to pass if it is 0.8s quicker...

F1today quotes a Mercedes source:" "The longer DRS zone gives the pursuer 3 tenths. If you then use full electric power, more power from the engine and a good slipstream, you have a good chance of overtaking."

https://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/2374 ... in-bahrain
"Because you didn't come here to make the choice, you've already made it. You're here to try to understand why you made it. I thought you'd have figured that out by now." The Oracle, Matrix Reloaded

Monster Hesh
Monster Hesh

Mattchu wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 15:28
Iv`e just read a few pages back a discussion about DRS zones and whether it should be allowed anywhere, etc. I`d quite like if they had the opportunity to use DRS anywhere on the circuit but only twice every 1 or 2 laps. This would add a bit of confusion [re: drivers] in there, also the pits wouldn`t be allowed to inform their driver if the guy behing used it...Maybe KERS is a safer way of doing it but crumbs the cars are very safe now, i`d imagine Danny Ric getting quite colourful with it :)
ha, I like that idea, maybe have it like KERS. They have say, 20 seconds worth of DRS they can use for a lap, for use at drivers discretion.

I don't mind the allocated zones, especially for qualifying. The way I see it is, if its allowed anywhere it would just give more advantage to the better cars, as the drivers will be able to open it earlier due to the better downforce and stability out of corners.

langedweil

But on the other hand, it would be unknown when it is deployed adding to the surprise factor. When you’re the leading driver you’ve got no idea when/how, so you’ve got to be more ready. As the following driver you’d have to read the driver in front of you more, and think of a way to surprise.
I’d say that’ll be adding a lot to the real racing. At least a lot more than knowing beforehand when you’ll be passed by in the next lap.
HuggaWugga !

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

I would not mind if the car behind is less than the 1 sec distance then he can use DRS as long as he is in that zone. Or she. It's up to the driver how and when to use the DRS. And also I say bring back DRS anywhere when in qualifying. Leave it up to the driver's judgement.

nevill3

Can we please keep on topic, we all have wish lists and fantasies about how it could be done. This race has it's rules and so there is no need for endless discussions about what could be....
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978