2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Re: 2018 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 27-29

Max has less respect from me then Maldonado had. He is an engineered bubble by the media and Redbull with some FIA backing and will burst soon. This race was the cherry on the top.

Andres125sx

The funny thing is he posted article 20.3 himself, but can´t read its first phrase wich is pretty clear, more than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted

CriXus
CriXus

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 20:30
The funny thing is he posted article 20.3 himself, but can´t read its first phrase wich is pretty clear, more than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted
Where is that article from? I cannot find it in the latest Sporting Regulation.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Andres125sx wrote:
https://www.fia.com/file/66613/download ... n=-BWJjhY3
Appendix L page 24:
b) Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be carried out on either the right or the left.
A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason. More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted.
Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.
However, manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited. Any driver who appears guilty of any of the above offences will be reported to the Stewards.
Ricciardo was still behind Verstappen so deliberate crowding wasn't the case. (Magnussen on Gasly was though).

And like Anthony says on this video: https://streamable.com/rxr44

The gap is gone.

Verstappen got punished by not leaving enough space after the 2nd move.
Ricciardo got punished by jumping in a gap which didn't exist anymore.

proteus

jz11 wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 19:54
this is starting to get really funny :D

George, you do understand that the dummy by the defender is what the rule book is trying to prevent, don't you? the weaving/blocking thing that Max is so "good" at? because if everyone coming with DRS advantage from behind is going to expect this sort of BS from the defender (Max especially), you are not going to see any overtakes at all, just crashes like happened here

all you are going to see - defender on the inside line pushing the overtaker into the grass on the corner exit - another Maxes trademark move

99,99% of the people who understand racing and are still watching the sport are looking exactly for this - how the overtaker is going to trick the defender and put him in an disadvantage, all you Max defenders want to see is Max taking the inside line and running the defender out of the road on exit, pathetic...
On the other hand arround how is it exciting to watch someone getting passed by a guy with 30kmh advantage on a 2,2km straight? Atleast this were identical cars, its even worse to watch when u see a better car strolling past a weaker one... If anything was proven in Baku, it was that DRS is actually very dangerous. The driver who charges with such speed advantage is unable to react to a twitch of the driver infront. I dare to say Verstappen would not weave arround if Ricciardo would only be using the slipstream. The kid is aparently frustrated with the sitting duck situation...He did the wrong thing, but the sport itself has a big problem as well. This fake overtaking is a bad joke....not to mention it contridicts to the original rules of F1 of non moving aero parts on the cars...

And i am not a Max defender, i just seriously dont like the DRS.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

lol this thread cannot have any discussion outside of max vs ric :P
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

sosic2121
sosic2121

George-Jung wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 17:06
Wynters wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 16:54
Starts left. Goes right. Goes left.
And that is perfectly ‘legal’.. because that 2nd move is the move back towards the position on the track before you initiated the whole ‘move’ in the first place.

If he would have moved right again, than it would have been a completely different story- but that didn’t happen.
And actually, he moved 3rd time to the right! Move is there, maybe you can see it this time. Not that it matters...

jz11
jz11

Proteus,
I have no problem with the DRS, I know why it is there in todays extremely high downforce era, but drivers also need to be aware and not do stupid things like this defense by Max, you simply cannot write a rule for every track for every corner how to behave there and not cause accidents, there has to be respect between each other, and Max has none for the others, zero, if he would have let RIC pass on the inside, Dan might have over shot it, and Max could regain his position right there on the exit, or be an actual grown up person and closely follow Dan (which wouldn't have been a problem again, since he had the better line out of this one) to regain his position the exact same way. I'm not sure how long it would take them to switch those USs on, but it would have been a great spectacle with those 2 fighting it out till the end, instead we got that GRO farce...

TwanV
TwanV

ArcticWolfie wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 20:47
Andres125sx wrote:
Appendix L page 24:
b) Overtaking, according to the circumstances, may be carried out on either the right or the left.
A driver may not deliberately leave the track without justifiable reason. More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted.
Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.
However, manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited. Any driver who appears guilty of any of the above offences will be reported to the Stewards.
Ricciardo was still behind Verstappen so deliberate crowding wasn't the case. (Magnussen on Gasly was though).

The gap is gone.

I would upvote if I could, nice and sensible analysis. Cool how Anthony visibly enjoys this stuff :)

jz11
jz11

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 20:58
we could discuss the dirty track with metal debris just laying around, evacuation trucks with bumpers higher than the recent lethal accident one that led to the halo debacle, but where is the fun in that? :D

sosic2121
sosic2121

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 18:07
As they said at the spanish tv, Ricciardo was a gentlemen, left the necessary space at all his attempts, slowed down when necessary, and did everything to avoid a crash
+1
And he overtook him fair and square, only to loose position due to pit error!?!

George-Jung
George-Jung

Phil wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 19:50
George-Jung wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 19:38
Lets agree to disagree.

If you do not want to understand, than all I have to say left is; Max left THE RACING LINE wide open.. he did not defend THE RACING LINE.
So what was Max doing when he moved right just after Dan did?
Forcing Riccardo to the outside/normal racing line..

Andres125sx

ArcticWolfie wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 20:47
Andres125sx wrote:
Appendix L page 24:

The gap is gone.

Sure, the gap is gone... after Max made his second and illegal move :wink:

You can see it in the video, Ricciardo move to the left only after Max move to the right leaving a gap at the inside (left). Then Max correct to the left again, closing the gap.

Yep the gap was gone, because Max made a second move wich is specifically forbiden in the rule book exactly for this reason. When any driver make a defensive move it is to expect the driver behind will move to the other side, but if the driver in front change his trajectory again there will be no time or space to avoid the crash.

To me this is a perfect example why more than one defensive move is forbidden, if the driver in front change direction any time the chasing car change direction, there are only two options, a crash, or no overtakings at all.

Andres125sx

Manoah2u wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 20:58
The drama... :mrgreen:

It was a fun race, Bottas must be so frustrated, he deserved this

Vettel, I disagree about the bad luck, it was his mistake what prevented his victory, not the luck. Similar to Kimi, he´s making too many mistakes

Hulkemberg making a mistake is not usual, Sainz is putting some pressure on his side. OTOH Sainz deserved a good race, 5th is great for him and the team

Alonso... how did he manage to finish 7th after that double puncture and racing almost the whole race with such a damaged car? Surely he´s still on his prime

Grosjean... #-o

BTW an important fact I´ve finally accepted after Baku, Ferrari PU is the most powerful on the grid! :o =D>

Sieper

George-Jung wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 17:38
Restomaniac wrote:
30 Apr 2018, 17:33
An addition to my ignored list.
This has to be the biggest proof that people just block out other peoples arguments because they are só baised themself.

Good luck mate =D>
No need to block, 95 percent of the forum will already blame Exclusively Max for every fart made in the RBR shithouse. It actually takes guts to vent a different opinion.

Max is no Bottas. The greatest overtaker of the grid Needed 35 drs supported laps to finally catch Ver, whilst Ver needed one corner (and no Drs) to overtake the greatest overtaker. Ric should have just tried the outside (again). He could have made it, his purples had one more lap of heat in them at that time.