2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2018 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, May 24-27

Phil wrote:
26 May 2018, 19:40
Sure, they can get the HS to last, if they tip toe around the track at a slower pace. This might make them suspect to undercuts though?

What i can see happening is that the front runner drives a “wait and see race”. At some point, the mid field, maybe even Bottas or Kimi might pit early. This may then cascade towards the front as every car ahead reacts to the car behind. If the undercut is faster, it will be crucial for there to be a big enough gap to react a lap later.
If they are tip toeing, keeping the tires safe, all that needs to happen is an order to push on the inlap.

They all need to open a pit stop distance to the field before thinking undercut, in other words there's no rush for the first 10 or so laps, after that a little bit of pushing and then stop.
I'm curious if someone is gonna bet on a SC however.

I think the guy on pole has the best tire usage anyway, so i'm betting on him.

zeph
zeph

RBR sandwich... with the rest of the entire field in between!

Does anybody believe Verstappen will not cause the safety car to come out tomorrow?

Sierra117

zeph wrote:
26 May 2018, 20:25

Does anybody believe Verstappen will not cause the safety car to come out tomorrow?
Will this be another Singapore '17* start :P It's not Max in front but it's a Bull :P
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

search

Phil wrote:
Sure, they can get the HS to last, if they tip toe around the track at a slower pace. This might make them suspect to undercuts though?
what makes you think that there will problems with ths HS? Verstappen did way over 20 laps on each set on Thursday, setting his fastest laps at the very end. Sirotkin did more than 30 without a problem. Now with more grip, I think it can last almost the whole race.

basti313
basti313

search wrote:
26 May 2018, 20:41
Phil wrote:
what makes you think that there will problems with ths HS? Verstappen did way over 20 laps on each set on Thursday, setting his fastest laps at the very end. Sirotkin did more than 30 without a problem. Now with more grip, I think it can last almost the whole race.
Well, almost the full race is surely too much, but I agree: The tire will be ok. If not, they will just nurse it around for 20 laps and then turn up the pace for the pitstop series as Rosberg did a few years ago. The US lasted well more than half a race without much degradation on Ham's car last year. So the strategy will be clearly HS-US.
The only question for me is if Ric goes full speed to get a gap to be safe from undercuts, or if he goes as slow as possible to keep the field together.
Don`t russel the hamster!

basti313
basti313

zeph wrote:

Mercedes is in "damage limitation mode". So there will be surely a SC helping them. My bet was actually that Vet and Ves crash like usual in this case, but the chance for Bulls and Ferraris taking each other out is less than half now.
Don`t russel the hamster!

jz11
jz11

zeph wrote:

the odds are not good, he has GRO and KMAG there to party with :D

Vanja #66

Interesting prospect for some differing strategies for top 3 teams. Probably won't happen, but at least there's more room for that now.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Jolle
Jolle

I think Marko will sit down with verstappen tonight and tell/urge/demand that his race starts three laps in, not at the first corner...

second possible win he's thrown away this year because he was too eager...

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Good god, what an absolute disgrace of Max.

He's certainly morphing right into his own father's F1 career - which would be rather deadly for his title aspirations.
RBR is starting to get annoyed now, it's clearly visible. How long does he need before he's finally going to understand it's him?
His dad somehow never put the blame on himself, would be a waste of potential if Max copied that behaviour.

By now mistakes like these are just totally unneccesary. It wasn't like he hit the barrier ever so slightly, it was just a complete and usher bad turn.
He's got to start learning to ever so slightly just release some pressure, to vent some steam, to just minimally take things down a notch.
Totally unneccesary. It could have been defendable in Q3, on the edge, but in P3? no dude.

Just look at how DannyRic dominated this, he could have been right there P2 or P1 if he just matured his head and calms down.
Absolute waste of possible points. Has he even finished a race this year without damage, crashing or anything like that?

Hell, he might find himself get replaced by Sainz if he keeps on going on like this, and there is no way Ferrari or Mercedes are going to have even the tiniest
amount of interest when stuff like this just keeps on happening again and again and again.

He's gonna put himself in cars like the Sauber or Haas like this. what an absolute waste.

Anyway, absolute stellar job of Danny. Hope he wins the race, that would certainly make things interesting for the WDC standings.

Expecting some 1st lap crazyness too. Smartest move for Max is to start from the pits tomorrow and avoid the potential mayhem in the first corner.
I'm fully expecting Grosjean to be the wreckingball he has been before, paired with Sirotkin and Hulkenberg has not been at his best either all year.
Max then might find himself in a clean drive into the first lap, with a high chance on the safety car in the first lap after the first corner,
with cars around him having a lot of damage, flat tires, etc. which could see him gain 6 to 8 positions without even having done anything at all.

use some good tactics, undercuts to get to p10 from there, and perhaps manage even p9 for some additional points. I think that would be the highest
he could finish tomorrow. Still, i can see him actually go and make another error and hit the wall and finish his race again and leave monaco with 0 points,
lot's of damage to the car, his reputation, his ego and a pretty deterioated relationship with RB.

Max needs to step up.

Apart from that, majorly bored again by Bottas and as usual, VanDoorne.

Sirotkin, LeClerc, Grosjean all right besides eachother. 100% recipe for disaster, guaranteed. The only one missing there would have been Magnussen.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Big Tea

Discounting Grosjens, we still have Max starting from the back, so a tyre change under the safety is almost a cert within the life of the tyre.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

maxxer
maxxer

Manoah2u wrote:
26 May 2018, 22:19
Good god, what an absolute disgrace of Max.

He's certainly morphing right into his own father's F1 career - which would be rather deadly for his title aspirations.
RBR is starting to get annoyed now, it's clearly visible. How long does he need before he's finally going to understand it's him?
His dad somehow never put the blame on himself, would be a waste of potential if Max copied that behaviour.

By now mistakes like these are just totally unneccesary. It wasn't like he hit the barrier ever so slightly, it was just a complete and usher bad turn.
He's got to start learning to ever so slightly just release some pressure, to vent some steam, to just minimally take things down a notch.
Totally unneccesary. It could have been defendable in Q3, on the edge, but in P3? no dude.

Just look at how DannyRic dominated this, he could have been right there P2 or P1 if he just matured his head and calms down.
Absolute waste of possible points. Has he even finished a race this year without damage, crashing or anything like that?

Hell, he might find himself get replaced by Sainz if he keeps on going on like this, and there is no way Ferrari or Mercedes are going to have even the tiniest
amount of interest when stuff like this just keeps on happening again and again and again.

He's gonna put himself in cars like the Sauber or Haas like this. what an absolute waste.

Anyway, absolute stellar job of Danny. Hope he wins the race, that would certainly make things interesting for the WDC standings.

Expecting some 1st lap crazyness too. Smartest move for Max is to start from the pits tomorrow and avoid the potential mayhem in the first corner.
I'm fully expecting Grosjean to be the wreckingball he has been before, paired with Sirotkin and Hulkenberg has not been at his best either all year.
Max then might find himself in a clean drive into the first lap, with a high chance on the safety car in the first lap after the first corner,
with cars around him having a lot of damage, flat tires, etc. which could see him gain 6 to 8 positions without even having done anything at all.

use some good tactics, undercuts to get to p10 from there, and perhaps manage even p9 for some additional points. I think that would be the highest
he could finish tomorrow. Still, i can see him actually go and make another error and hit the wall and finish his race again and leave monaco with 0 points,
lot's of damage to the car, his reputation, his ego and a pretty deterioated relationship with RB.

Max needs to step up.

Apart from that, majorly bored again by Bottas and as usual, VanDoorne.

Sirotkin, LeClerc, Grosjean all right besides eachother. 100% recipe for disaster, guaranteed. The only one missing there would have been Magnussen.
Totally agree and Monaco is that Grand Prix which we al remember just as the one Senna threw away.

Dazed1
Dazed1

NathanOlder wrote:
26 May 2018, 17:19
Yeah, and max is going to be trying to pass them
What are the odds Max will finish the race? I am thinking 1 in 4.

iotar__

- Verstappen crashed in Monaco? In the best car? There's a surprise. Those pesky walls must have brake tested poor chap.
- If he crashes in Q and in the race autosport will give him 5/10 sponsored promotion note instead of 0/10.
- So who's replacing him and when? Perhaps Alonso =P~ ?

netoperek
netoperek

Jolle wrote:
26 May 2018, 22:17
I think Marko will sit down with verstappen tonight and tell/urge/demand that his race starts three laps in, not at the first corner...

second possible win he's thrown away this year because he was too eager...
Marko is either not allowed to or not able to make Max understand such concept IMO