2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NL_Fer

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Paddy Lowe should return, decline started when he left for Mercedes. Maybe he just doesn’t fit to work with a small team like Williams and a return to his old employer is the key.

RonDennis

DFX wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 19:43
They have PP, their aero concepts have being copied throughout the field. PP and the aero team have being doing a solid job, this is not to say that more talent is not welcome but certainly is not the problem. That being said, look at Binotto, he came out of nowhere from the Ferrari hierarchy and many people doubted the move at the time. Sometimes the right people are already in the team waiting to be found out. Mclaren main problem is the way processes are ran in the factory IMO.
I'm not saying PP doesn't have any talent, but he's certainly no Newey. Just look at what happened with Red Bull when Newey started working on some other projects.

NL_Fer wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 21:29
Paddy Lowe should return, decline started when he left for Mercedes. Maybe he just doesn’t fit to work with a small team like Williams and a return to his old employer is the key.

He's a Williams shareholder, he won't leave the team in this situation.

Zynerji

Toto did...

makecry

Nonserviam85 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 21:14
RonDennis wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:33
KingHamilton01 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 16:09

I would suggest this makes sense as he has been part of the process when the previous season's car's have been built, they also mentioned at time when Boullier resigned they said that this wouldn't be the only change. McLaren need to cough up some money to get a new designer/s now. Then I am not sure what else McLaren plan to do while restructuring the team, but clear that team know's that a fresh approach is needed and people within the team need re-motivating.

Zak Brown still got a lot to do, interesting they mentioned on sky sports F1 build up to race show that previously that communication between departments seemed to be an issue and that McLaren don't react quick enough.

Anyway would be interesting to hear your opinions on where you think McLaren should recruit.
You need a strong technical leader, like Mattia Binotto, James Allison, Adrian Newey, but finding one is harder than it sounds. It's clear that the technical department is missing leadership. I'm sure the staff is highly talented, but not everyone is a leader. McLaren probably doesn't even know who was responsible for the sh!t stain they created, because that's what it is. The problem is that it's hard to understand what works and what don't. If you put people in place you also have to give them some time. It is possible, just look at Ferrari. McLaren might not have the same budget as Ferrari or Mercedes, but they certainly shouldn't be fighting Toro Rosso, Sauber, Haas and Force India at every race.
McLaren should had employed Alex Hitzinger as a technical director (Porsche LMP1 Tech Dir.), too bad Apple money lured him away from motorsport.

The problem is, You can't compete with Apple's money. Apple has more cash than the US Government. The company is so big and rich that they can lose $28 bil a year for 10 years to be close to bankruptcy. Imagine having a $285bil cash reserve.

NL_Fer

Return the shares to the person he bought them from.

techman

iam pretty confident alonso will sign again with mclaren. there are no top teams that really want him. and alonso i believe still like f1 so he might sign again.

Hammerfist

NL_Fer wrote:
Paddy surely ain't doing a fine job at Williams so far though is he?

zoroastar

Benii6 wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:12
ALO_Power wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:01
Moving from the pointless anti-Alonso comments that he's toxic and other usual bs, I think pitting under the safety car wasn't the best choice in the end since it got proven that it was better to stay out and defend rather than get fresh rubber and attack. Alonso seemed to have lost a big amount of time behind Magnussen all race out and because all cameras were aiming the front-runners, Magnussen was heavily blocking Alonso in every overtaking move he tried. When he eventually passed, his pace was super fast. So ye, P6 was definitely on the cards.
He was fast because he pitted. Fresh softs vs old mediums or even hards on Renault. If he didn't pit, he would most likely finish where he did. So no, it was the right decision. This way he actually had a chance to finish higher.
I think he made a mistake while trying to attack Ocon and it backfired with Kevin overtaking him back.
theres an article in which alonso says that MAG ran him into the gravel. i think thats where he lost his place back to MAG, before repassing him. i havent seen any cameras from back there though.

DFX
DFX

zoroastar wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 02:08
Benii6 wrote:
ALO_Power wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 12:01
Moving from the pointless anti-Alonso comments that he's toxic and other usual bs, I think pitting under the safety car wasn't the best choice in the end since it got proven that it was better to stay out and defend rather than get fresh rubber and attack. Alonso seemed to have lost a big amount of time behind Magnussen all race out and because all cameras were aiming the front-runners, Magnussen was heavily blocking Alonso in every overtaking move he tried. When he eventually passed, his pace was super fast. So ye, P6 was definitely on the cards.
He was fast because he pitted. Fresh softs vs old mediums or even hards on Renault. If he didn't pit, he would most likely finish where he did. So no, it was the right decision. This way he actually had a chance to finish higher.
I think he made a mistake while trying to attack Ocon and it backfired with Kevin overtaking him back.
theres an article in which alonso says that MAG ran him into the gravel. i think thats where he lost his place back to MAG, before repassing him. i havent seen any cameras from back there though.
Here:

M840TR

DFX wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 05:53
zoroastar wrote:
Benii6 wrote:

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QftfXbnoeQs
Still a mystery why Kimi accidentally locking up and hitting Hamilton was given 10 sec penalty plus reprimand while Magnussen intentionally driving Alonso off the track in race was ignored. He's been doing this all season. Almost killed Gasly in Baku by hitting him at 200+ mph. FIA is a joke.

marvin78

It's not a mystery. It's inconsistency. And I for one think that it's intentional.

rscsr

M840TR wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 07:37
DFX wrote:
zoroastar wrote:

Here:

Still a mystery why Kimi accidentally locking up and hitting Hamilton was given 10 sec penalty plus reprimand while Magnussen intentionally driving Alonso off the track in race was ignored. He's been doing this all season. Almost killed Gasly in Baku by hitting him at 200+ mph. FIA is a joke.
Driving people off the road is never penalized. Especially on the exit the stewards outright ignore that there are rules against it.

M840TR

rscsr wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 09:12
M840TR wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 07:37
DFX wrote:

Here:

Driving people off the road is never penalized. Especially on the exit the stewards outright ignore that there are rules against it.
They penalized Gasly for the exact same on the exact same corner though.

JohnDelinger

Zynerji wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 07:34
zoroastar wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 06:30
Zynerji wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 05:09
It amazes me how outsiders think Alonso is so good, but when the top 3 teams have possible openings for next year, and he isn't even in the conversation...🤣🤣🤣
it amazes me when some people cant have enough depth to realize that the reasons behind him not being picked up by a top team have nothing to do with how "good" he is. nobody in any top team would ever say that alonso is not good enough. if thats what you are standing on to prove something then you should be careful of thin ice.
Why am I on thin ice? His choices and behaviors have cost his talent numerous titles, not me.

No one but back markers want him. Period.
i believe you are terribly misinformed, his talent has put him in the hunt for numerous titles

mclaren111

NL_Fer wrote:

I am not a big Lowe fan. If he was any good / good enough Mercedes would have kept him.