2018 Mexico Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 26-28 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
turbof1

Re: 2018 Mexico Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 26-28 October

I'm probably jynxing it, but shouldn't these be top of the line drivers able to drive around in a splash of water :lol: ?

IMO, let's have a good ol' wet race to distinguish the men from the boys.
#AeroFrodo

Just_a_fan

GPR -A wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 16:30
That way, at least there would be some sanity and teams can save a lot of money that their drivers throw away and also cost with penalties.
Just charge the drivers for the bits they break. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

WaikeCU

I'm sure during the drivers briefing with Charlie, they can overrule any of the rules mentioned, if they feel that safety is at stake.

What top speed are we expecting at the end of the main straight?

turbof1

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 16:46
GPR -A wrote:
That way, at least there would be some sanity and teams can save a lot of money that their drivers throw away and also cost with penalties.
Just charge the drivers for the bits they break. :lol:
#Brokejean
#AeroFrodo

GrandAxe

F1NAC wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 11:27
zibby43 wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 05:30
Ferrari's reliability (from a hardware perspective) has been very impressive this year. Vettel, in particular.

As far as the weather is concerned, neither the Ferrari nor the Red Bull are particularly strong in the wet this year. To say the least.
Sadly #5 SF71-H has a lot of reliability problems with its driver
Operator malfunction. :)

cooken

turbof1 wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 16:36
I'm probably jynxing it, but shouldn't these be top of the line drivers able to drive around in a splash of water :lol: ?

IMO, let's have a good ol' wet race to distinguish the men from the boys.
Sadly the bulk of them have been proven to be the latter already, and with nary a speck of water on the track.

PlatinumZealot

Just hoping that the hyper-softs makes some difference this year. Two stops are sorely needed for this race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Gaz.

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 11:47
Just hoping that the hyper-softs makes some difference this year. Two stops are sorely needed for this race.
Track position is so important that I think it's unlikely, with the possible exception if there is a huge 30 second gap between 6th and 7th for example so they have nothing to lose pitting again and trying something different.
Forza Jules

Restomaniac

Racer X wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 02:08
A wet weekend might extend the fight into the next GP.
Sorry but it’s done.

I mentioned this last week. To keep acting as if their could realistically be any other outcome is like Home J Simpson shouting ‘it still good!’ to a flying and ruined hog roast.

drunkf1fan

GPR -A wrote:
Looking at how clumsy the midfield drivers have been, it would be a good idea to have two tiered start. One for the top 6, which is normal and one for the mid-field with SC! That way, at least there would be some sanity and teams can save a lot of money that their drivers throw away and also cost with penalties.
I mean, you could just make it two tier with the tiers being... those who can start without hitting people and those who can't.

So I guess, Vettel, Grosjean, Ocon, Grosjean, Ericsson and lastly Grosjean all have to have a delayed start. :p

Seriously though, odds on Grosjean messing up a start in the heavy rain would be pretty damn short.

Vasconia

zibby43 wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 05:30
Ferrari's reliability (from a hardware perspective) has been very impressive this year. Vettel, in particular.

As far as the weather is concerned, neither the Ferrari nor the Red Bull are particularly strong in the wet this year. To say the least.
This is something I still don´t understand. If both cars have, lets say it, a healthy amount of downforce, why have they problems to be competitive?. I remember that RB has been traditionally competitive in we because of the great downforce they have.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 11:47
Top drivers have contact also helps. :mrgreen:

Now more seriously, I do hope we can have the VET-VER-HAM battle we lost last year.

Championship wise it would be interesting to have a DNF by Lewis, just to extend the "emotion". Though I know that Lewis will win the championship, and well-deserved I must admit.

Phil

You are aware that Vettel must win in order to delay the celebrations, right? Forget the 7th place Hamilton needs. Vettel needs to win. Not only this race, but every race. He fails to do this just once, Hamilton is champion.

Of course if Hamilton does get that 7th place, he takes it even if Vettel wins.

To put this into perspective; even if Hamilton suffers 3 DNFs starting Mexico, Vettel must win all races to still take the championship. I dont know which is more unlikely. Hamilton finishing below 7th at any race or Vettel winning all of the remaining races...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Vasconia

Phil wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 10:15
You are aware that Vettel must win in order to delay the celebrations, right? Forget the 7th place Hamilton needs. Vettel needs to win. Not only this race, but every race. He fails to do this just once, Hamilton is champion.

Of course if Hamilton does get that 7th place, he takes it even if Vettel wins.

To put this into perspective; even if Hamilton suffers 3 DNFs starting Mexico, Vettel must win all races to still take the championship. I dont know which is more unlikely. Hamilton finishing below 7th at any race or Vettel winning all of the remaining races...
If Vettel doesn´t make mistakes he could win all the races if the Ferrari performs like in USA or SPA. I see particularly difficult the other option though. Hamilton has been impressively constant since many races.