2018 Mexico Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 26-28 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2018 Mexico Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 26-28 October

Hamilton is very top drawer in my book, One of the all time great. I am sure he also wants to have 8 WDCs before he Goes and persue the rest of his activities.

i70q7m7ghw

ringo wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 01:18
Shrieker wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 00:58
Congrats to him; Hamilton is now legit one of the top three of all times. I found it odd tho that Sky put his name above Fangio's when they they were listing drivers by number of titles won. At least they should've been side by side, there's just no comparison between eras so different. If he gets the sixth then one can legitimately claim he's been more successful, ergo his name deserves to be a step above.

One can't help but wonder what would've been tho if Senna hadn't passed away when he did. So maybe that pushes Hamilton down to fourth :wink:
Hamilton has more wins, so will be ahead of Fangio.
Nope, that's not how the record books work, it's the first to achieve 5 so Fangio comes first. Same thing for 7 titles, the next driver would need to get 8 to move ahead of Schumacher, since he got 7 first.

ringo

Looks like a man who will retire at the end of this season...

It was reported that he was using Redbull team as a comfort blanket. It seems now the Mercedes team is his pacifier.
All in all his behavior is much better this year than last. Very sportsmanlike.
He doesn't seem like he wants to dwell on the defeat with his own team, and much rather the season end and move on to 2019. I think he will be a different driver next year if he stays.

As for the fangio hamilton comparison, Hamilton is ahead statistically so he deserves to be higher on the lists. Lists don't say much about how legendary or revered a driver is. Senna is still revered and has only 3 wdc like many other drivers. Nelshino Piquet should be considered great as well given his success, but people don't seem to respect the guy.

I saw the old hater Jackie Stewart in one scene with a glass of champagne in his hand. I could see bitter glare in his eyes as he looked on. Did Sky get to interview him? I would pretty much like to hear what he had to say on all this 5 time WDC stuff. its been entertaining seeing his comments from WDC #1 to 4 so far.
For Sure!!

TAG

It's damned hard for the haters.

"Lewis Hamilton does not know much about racing history and so cannot learn from the mistakes of others. Perhaps he thinks that if it fails he will at least have the consolation of earning loads more money and being a bigger star, thanks to his hustling management that will sell his image here, there and everywhere. That might make him an international celebrity on a bigger scale than he is, but it will not make him a racing legend. Perhaps Mercedes will pull it off and then Hamilton will look clever, but I fear that this will be a move similar to James Hunt joining Wolf; Emerson Fittipaldi joining Fittipaldi, Jacques Villeneuve moving to BAR or Niki Lauda's ill-fated move to Brabham. History relates that you do not leave a winning team in F1 unless it is to go to another proven winner…" - Joe Saward, GP+ e-magazine.
For anyone interested in taking a walk down memory lane, this was an exerpt of a Sky article from 2015 is still a barrel of laughs to read and in hindsight, extremely telling of clueless some people in the sport are.

Congratulations to Hamilton on his 5th title, but personally I'm really for the regulation changes next year with the simplified aero regulations. Would be nice to know any of four or five teams had a shot at victory every weekend and a victory would be entirely more precious.

Now for the Contructor's title, Mercedes needs to scores 31 points in the next two races to take the WCC no matter what Ferrari does? In the constructor's if it's tied do they then go to number of wins and podiums like the do in the driver's race?
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

JesperA

I really don't like when David is doing the post race interviews, sure, i get it; as a "toastmaster" you have to try to get the drivers interviews in a fairly co-ordinated fashion but he is way to much of a puppeteer and dictator when it comes to the interviews, the driver can barely smile and enjoy the victory and celebrate, he even give the drivers flack for not taking of their helmet quickly enough, he tells the drivers off when they hug and shake their team-members hand, David has 1 second patience when he really can afford to give them 5 seconds to celebrate and THEN do the interview.

He does this every time, getting really annoying, the drivers barely have time to stop the car before David shove his microphone down their throat and force an interview upon them. Like, just stand back for 10 seconds, give them some time to celebrate and breathe, then, when THEY are ready do the interview, like everyone else that do the post race interview do.

ringo

Hamilton is champion in the not best car for the second time. 2008 and now 2018. The rival car being much stronger this year.
Ferrari have been the strongest for maybe 55% of the races this year, I can't wait to see what they bring next year. But i suspect Redbull will be a serious threat as well. Mercedes may just be third best as they cannot kick their old tyre eating habits. The car is still a Diva.
For Sure!!

Cannonballer

ringo wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 01:18
Shrieker wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 00:58
Congrats to him; Hamilton is now legit one of the top three of all times. I found it odd tho that Sky put his name above Fangio's when they they were listing drivers by number of titles won. At least they should've been side by side, there's just no comparison between eras so different. If he gets the sixth then one can legitimately claim he's been more successful, ergo his name deserves to be a step above.

One can't help but wonder what would've been tho if Senna hadn't passed away when he did. So maybe that pushes Hamilton down to fourth :wink:
Hamilton has more wins, so will be ahead of Fangio.

I think Prost would have had 6 championships. Mansel would also have more than 1. If you look through history and how the seasons would up and what could have been you find most of these champs would be more decorated.

Hamilton himself would have been a 6 time champ, if the FIA didn't remotely handicap his gearbox in 2007 to prevent a rookie from being champ. :wink:
Or Mercedes didn't sabotage his car so Rosberg could win a championship too. JK :-"

Trying to objectively rank drivers across eras is impossible. It is difficult to be objective even within a single era. For example, there is no way to objectively compare Fernando Alonso with Hamilton or Vettel given the former is holding a butter knife in a gunfight. They are all among the greats . . .
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

XRayF1

JesperA wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 06:55
I really don't like when David is doing the post race interviews, sure, i get it; as a "toastmaster" you have to try to get the drivers interviews in a fairly co-ordinated fashion but he is way to much of a puppeteer and dictator when it comes to the interviews, the driver can barely smile and enjoy the victory and celebrate, he even give the drivers flack for not taking of their helmet quickly enough, he tells the drivers off when they hug and shake their team-members hand, David has 1 second patience when he really can afford to give them 5 seconds to celebrate and THEN do the interview.

He does this every time, getting really annoying, the drivers barely have time to stop the car before David shove his microphone down their throat and force an interview upon them. Like, just stand back for 10 seconds, give them some time to celebrate and breathe, then, when THEY are ready do the interview, like everyone else that do the post race interview do.
Not rushing to Coulthart's defense, but Ido not believe one instant that it is DC's fault.
If you look over the years of the interviews he has done, he would rather take his time.

I am almost certain that his 'pupeteering' is due to the TV schedules, time plans, ads, etc. They all have to be synchronised, and there are simply mere seconds available for the interview. IMHO this is the reason why they seem pretty rushed, regardless who is doing them.

I am not saying that its Liberty's fault, but it seems that they are indeed tighter packed since they took over.
Much more at least than the years before.

Hammerfist

ringo wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 03:16
Looks like a man who will retire at the end of this season...

It was reported that he was using Redbull team as a comfort blanket. It seems now the Mercedes team is his pacifier.
All in all his behavior is much better this year than last. Very sportsmanlike.
He doesn't seem like he wants to dwell on the defeat with his own team, and much rather the season end and move on to 2019. I think he will be a different driver next year if he stays.

As for the fangio hamilton comparison, Hamilton is ahead statistically so he deserves to be higher on the lists. Lists don't say much about how legendary or revered a driver is. Senna is still revered and has only 3 wdc like many other drivers. Nelshino Piquet should be considered great as well given his success, but people don't seem to respect the guy.

I saw the old hater Jackie Stewart in one scene with a glass of champagne in his hand. I could see bitter glare in his eyes as he looked on. Did Sky get to interview him? I would pretty much like to hear what he had to say on all this 5 time WDC stuff. its been entertaining seeing his comments from WDC #1 to 4 so far.
:D I noticed him too and I agree about that glare in his eyes. I wonder if he still thinks Lewis is a "little ballerina." Lewis has just left him and his 3 titles behind. Take that Jackie.

PlatinumZealot

Putting in the work from early!! (Toto.. call me!!) :mrgreen:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

sosic2121

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 23:54
JordanMugen wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 23:46
NathanOlder wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 22:45
Lewis has proven he is head and shoulders above the rest this season. He has the speed, the consistency and he barely puts a toe wrong, let alone a foot wrong
It would be easier to evaluate Hamilton's driving if Alonso (for example) was in the other Mercedes.
Been there. Done that. :wink:
80≠80? :?

Just_a_fan

sosic2121 wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 09:54

80≠80? :?
Translation please... :?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vasconia

ringo wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 07:07
Hamilton is champion in the not best car for the second time. 2008 and now 2018. The rival car being much stronger this year.
Ferrari have been the strongest for maybe 55% of the races this year, I can't wait to see what they bring next year. But i suspect Redbull will be a serious threat as well. Mercedes may just be third best as they cannot kick their old tyre eating habits. The car is still a Diva.
With the aero changes we may see relevant changes. But a very important factor is how much Honda can improve during Winter. It is pretty obvious that F1 needs to have Verstappen in the mix.

Vasconia

Morteza wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 00:19
Vettel went to Mercedes team and congratulated Toto (Toto was in his underpants 😂) and the staff. Class act by Seb, I must say. You can see it on Mercedes AMG F1's Instagram story.

EDIT: They deleted it :roll:
Vettel´s reaction after the race was top-class. On the other hand, yesterday we saw the Vettel we should see always. Great performance.

Vasconia

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 00:41
The_table wrote:
28 Oct 2018, 23:55
Max drove a perfect race, so did Vettel in my opinion but Max was just too far.

I don't want to take anything away from Hamilton but i bet that that Ferrari is hard(er) to drive and that's what contributed to some of Vettel's mistakes.

To be honest it's every year we hear that they make a car that's hard or weird to drive... right?
If the Ferrari was hard to drive kimi would be nowhere! we know how sensitive Kimi is. The Ferrari was actually the easier car to drive matter of fact. It was certainly easier over the year. I can't remember a time when the Ferrari was imbalanced this year. There was a race when they chewed through their tyres faster but I can't remember it.
With the Singapure update they started to habe balance and tyre problems. Thankfully they reverted to the previous spec in USA.