2018 Mexico Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 26-28 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
sosic2121

Re: 2018 Mexico Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 26-28 October

Yurasyk wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 23:02
Oehrly wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 21:51
If anyone has got suggestions for improvement, please tell.
Thank you for those nice plots.
As a suggestion I would try to integrate those points into a cumulative curve of the covered path and then synchronize speed points to track position points.
Why?
I find v/t way more informative over v/s. (if I understand your suggestion correctly)

rscsr

sosic2121 wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 23:20
Yurasyk wrote:
Oehrly wrote:
As a suggestion I would try to integrate those points into a cumulative curve of the covered path and then synchronize speed points to track position points.
Why?
I find v/t way more informative over v/s. (if I understand your suggestion correctly)
you would usually use v/s since you want to compare the speeds at certain positions on track. e.g. corner speed.
Then you can plot t or delta t over s to clearly see where you are losing most of the time.

Morteza

Has anyone seen this? There was a journalist named Fernando Alonso in the press conference after the race :D The drivers' reaction to it is amazing :lol:

At 17:08 and 24:53
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

Phil wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 17:05
No idea... as I said, I thought it sounded like the audio was broadcast to the venue as well as to the TV viewers. There was just so much hall. And Lewis didn't comment or anything, so I was like... where did that come from? At first I thought it was like a message from Neymar, was it last year or something? :/

Do you remember the "neeoww" noises from last race? It could be same hackers.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Yurasyk

sosic2121 wrote:
Yurasyk wrote:
Oehrly wrote:
Why?
As a single plot, yes, why not. But if we want to compare two cars/runs we need a common scale such as s (i.e. track position/whole lap of a constant length).

zac510

Oehrly wrote:
Someone recently asked about reading telemetry from the graphics in the onboard videos and plotting some curves from that. I thought that might be a good idea, so I decided to give it a try. Below is what I managed to do with my code so far. It is still a work in progress and I currently can only read speed but I'm working on it.
Cool chart. Are you using OCR on each frame to read the speed of the car?

Sierra117

Last edited by Sierra117 on 01 Nov 2018, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Oehrly

rscsr wrote:
31 Oct 2018, 00:26
sosic2121 wrote:
Yurasyk wrote:

Why?
you would usually use v/s since you want to compare the speeds at certain positions on track. e.g. corner speed.
Then you can plot t or delta t over s to clearly see where you are losing most of the time.
I had that idea already but I'm not sure whether the data is accurate enough and it's resolution is high enough to do it. When integrating speed over time errors will build up. I'll definetly try sometime though.

@GrandAxe
I'll add a vertical line for the pole time or one of the drivers lap times next time.

@zac510
Yes I'm using OCR on each frame though preprocessing is required

strad

Thanks for that Morteza
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

drunkf1fan

digitalrurouni wrote:
30 Oct 2018, 16:07
So the tires did not change right? I mean it's the same tires that have been used before in the season. So is it really the fault of the tires or is it the fault of Pirellis messing about with tire pressures?
Largely Pirelli's fault, mainly as the tires have worked extremely poorly at many tracks, just not flat out failed to work as they did here. In Austria they blistered so much that you could literally cruise to the end of the race but if you pushed, particularly when completely new, they blistered almost immediately leaving them getting destroyed quickly.

Other tracks from preseason it was clear they were overheating so badly with the blistering that Pirelli had to make the tires thinner to work in France, SPain and, was the other one a resurfaced Silverstone? At other tracks the tires just grained almost immediately like Monaco, frankly the pace was also disastrous there and the tires didn't work but both due to lack of overtaking, lack of pace and helped by Ricciardo's engine going out there wasn't as much blue flag passing going on and the gaps were smaller. At track with a big more legs as Mexico that graining created a far bigger difference between the teams.

So Pirelli brought what for me are unworkable tires, a few tracks they work but even then the way they degrade is completely wrong. A hard thermal limit past which you can't push and it's far too low.

Lets say the softest tire can work up to say 140C now, but due to the design everyone pushing even a little hard these tires go to 150c, so to keep them under 140c everyone is cruising. What you need is the tires to degrade badly past 155c, degrade faster at 150c while providing more performance and degrade more slowly at 140c while providing less performance. It just seems like the way the tires work and the point they degrade is completely mismatched so the only choice for everyone is taking it stupidly easy to keep grip.

Wynters

I suspect Pirelli are caught in a tough position. They make their tyres before the year starts. The teams then spend every second of every day developing and changing how they use the tyres. If Pirelli try and adjust they get a global frothing crowd claiming they are part of a conspiracy to fix the championships in favour of 'insert your least favourite team here'.

If we want tyres that work all season long then I fear that Pirelli need to be constantly changing and developing their tyres and testing using this season's cars. Can you see that being allowed?

digitalrurouni

But what I don't get is - people complain when there's 1 stop races and people complain when the tires degrade? Doesn't seem to me like there's a happy middle ground!!! We as fans need to come to an agreement what we want.

Sieper

degrading tires and 2 pitstops, or if you try 1, it must be a gamble. For me Mexico was fine.

F1NAC

I would say, give them tyres so they can push all the time but in todays formula where they need to conserve engine for mpre races, limited fuel (fuel savings)... put Hypersoft on every circuit :D

digitalrurouni

F1NAC wrote:
01 Nov 2018, 17:42
I would say, give them tyres so they can push all the time but in todays formula where they need to conserve engine for mpre races, limited fuel (fuel savings)... put Hypersoft on every circuit :D
I agree lol. But then wouldn't they be driving around like grandmas as Magnussen put it so eloquently? And then one could argue bring back refueling. But then people would only pass during refueling etc etc.