Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AMG.Tzan

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

The car to me looks a bit understeery...like missing a bit of front downforce! Hamilton locking and understeering off the track in the last part of the track (probably checking the limits of the car)! Of course it has to do with tires and fuel loads especially but compared to Ferrari...the Ferrari looks sharper and able to change direction better!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

dans79

AMG.Tzan wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:04
The car to me looks a bit understeery...like missing a bit of front downforce! Hamilton locking and understeering off the track in the last part of the track (probably checking the limits of the car)! Of course it has to do with tires and fuel loads especially but compared to Ferrari...the Ferrari looks sharper and able to change direction better!
He looks to be on a race sim, and that was at the end of a very long stint!
197 104 103 7

Morteza

Giando wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:14
Ehi!

So, it was NOT an illusion!

The new push rod bracket is finally there!!!!

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/tecni ... e/4340977/

http://i68.tinypic.com/28b4rrc.jpg

:P
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Giando

I think it's now safe to say that this is kind of a major revolution in the suspension field.

Didn't saw it coming at all between the potential innovations of the new season.

If it will be performance effective, we'll see.

Just_a_fan

It appears to me to be an attempt to create an aero-influencing part in the pushrod.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PhillipM

Giando wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:17
I think it's now safe to say that this is kind of a major revolution in the suspension field.

Didn't saw it coming at all between the potential innovations of the new season.

No it's not, it's nothing new, it's just surprising to see Merc taking it right to the limits. Maybe to work with their front wing, which is relatively high both to the ground and compared to the endplates. Push it further towards the ground during cornering.

Giando

PhillipM wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:34
Giando wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 17:17

No it's not, it's nothing new, it's just surprising to see Merc taking it right to the limits. Maybe to work with their front wing, which is relatively high both to the ground and compared to the endplates. Push it further towards the ground during cornering.
Oh, really...

Given the current rules situation, I would rather say it's a MAJOR and UNEXPECTED change at least.

Can you agree that the joint between the bracket and the push-rod arm is further rearward and inward of the upper triangle wishbone, yes? It's a geometry we've never seen before in modern F1.

PhillipM

No, it's not, the FIA only introduced a rule to limit it a year or two ago because of the teams doing it #-o

henry

I wonder if the carbon fibre covers an adjustable connector in the push rod which allows transverse adjustment so that the line of action of the pushrod can be shifted forward or rearward to affect the degree to which ride height is influenced.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

wesley123

De Jokke wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:04
Sound the alarm :roll: :

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... g/4341075/

"We are the only team to have won a championship in a cross over of a rule and I am confident that even if we don't start on the right foot, particularly by the first race, I feel confident….."
The 'hype' people can get from some cleverly arranged quotes continues to amaze me.

Looks like the RAKE has worked against us: high rake the way too go, as RBR thought they will surpass merc due to a new rear wing which is currently being built
It's weird how you can say that when you consider that Mercedes has won the title in the last five years. Rake is not the godlike solution people think it is.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dmjunqueira

atanatizante wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:36
1. Merc and RB went for a bigger DRS flap than Ferrari. What are the advantages?
Maybe it has something to do with the narrower airbox of the Ferrari, that enables more quality airflow towards the center of the rear wing, and a smaller DRS flap. :idea:

PhillipM

It's because the DRS opening can be larger this year. The rear element being larger is generally more efficient, we only went to the small flaps because of the limited DRS opening when it was introduced - a smaller flap meant more AoA change for a given opening distance.

GPR-A

Diffuser shot with FlowViz (Click to enlarge).

Morteza

Via @AlbertFabrega
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

digitalrurouni

From that comparison shot of the 3 different cars it looks like the cooling exits for the rear engine cover on the Merc looks smaller than the other 2 cars no? Or is it an illusion?