Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Shakeman

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 12:07

The fastest way around a race circuit is with downforce. Teams trim wings at places like Monza but the cars still produce plenty of downforce even then.
The fastest way around the track is with the correct level of downforce and balance.

While analysing the data from tracks they have been less good on historically i.e. Monaco to name one they may have found the solution to run a very aero different package to get them the right balance on the bogey tracks.

Having two aero packages is a more plausible hypothesis than many of the rumours in recent years *cough* mercury *cough*.

Only time will tell.

PlatinumZealot

PhillipM wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 01:50
I read what you put, but it's nothing to do with bump-steer. And your theory about some sort of sliding cam would completely negate the entire point of them doing this. They do this deliberately to lower the wing to the floor when cornering, the last thing you'd want in there was some sort of sliding mechanism.
You are thinking about traditional bump steer. That will happen even without any pushrod and for some silly reason you think i don't know about that, but think about this :
The pushrod arm is offset from the turning axis. So it will steer the wheel once it extends, no matter what.
And this is exactly why the pushrod and steering are now "linked". Steer and the car lowers. Compress the suspension and the car steers slightly. They are both hard connected by the hub.
I said in F1 the dispmacements are small so they can get away with it somewhat. (i think something tiny like 5 to 10mm it was? )
And went on to say if it were for aero reasons and u want the big ole wing thing sticking out but you dont want the megative effects you could put some cam thingy inside of it to compensate.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bosyber

About that Scarboni tweet, didn't we have just that discussion in 2017,where Red Bull were very 'clean' with barge boards, only to then turn out to have trouble getting it right, with much more complex stuff as the year developed (and with a less powerful PU so they had to be careful about drag?)

Might still be some truth there, but doubt it is that straightforward.

dren

This is a huge aero package change. The entire barge board area and lower turning vanes around the side pods are all different along with added bits. The front wing and nose are new. The side pods now have the downward slope to allow the top flow to spill down to the floor area. There are bits along the floor edge, too.
Honda!

SiLo

bosyber wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 13:18
About that Scarboni tweet, didn't we have just that discussion in 2017,where Red Bull were very 'clean' with barge boards, only to then turn out to have trouble getting it right, with much more complex stuff as the year developed (and with a less powerful PU so they had to be careful about drag?)

Might still be some truth there, but doubt it is that straightforward.
Mercedes have generally had a lot of turning vanes and appendages like that though for a while, it's nothing new for them.
Felipe Baby!

Sevach

siskue2005

Reminds me of Coanda effect sidepods from 2011

pantherxxx

What's the point of building a B spec car? I think it means that they had massive problems with their A spec, so they had to bring these rushed out updates. Reminds me of Mclaren last year.

OO7
OO7

Those parts have been in the pipeline for a while, as it's not something that can be done in 5 days.

siskue2005

pantherxxx wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 13:53
What's the point of building a B spec car? I think it means that they had massive problems with their A spec, so they had to bring these rushed out updates. Reminds me of Mclaren last year.
those pieces are carbon fibre and not made of silly putty to be created in just 5 days

Amus takes a look at new Mercedes

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ik-update/

New aero package dates back to the beginning of January.

The car last week was mainly a testing vehicle to carry out system checks. They wanted 5 more days in the wind tunnel.

Compared to the car shown at the initial launch, "every aerodynamic surface has changed".

Mr.G

pantherxxx wrote:
My personal opinion is that they were planing to go with the first concept an in parallel prepare this one and test it during the season. However, during the first week of testing they decided that they need to check it rather sooner than later and bring it now...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

dmjunqueira

The definitions of "phallic" nose have been updated. :lol:

RZS10

pantherxxx wrote:
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ik-update/

or

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... -update%2F

The first car was (as previously speculated in this thread) nothing but a test mule to test the internals and the mechanical side of things.

corrected translation from the article
"To be clear, this overhauled Silver Arrow is not a response to the Super-Ferrari. That is impossible within a week. This Aero package was created at the beginning of January and was finished to be ready on time for the second week of testing.

The reason is simple: "Five more days in the wind tunnel. We wanted to get our Melbourne specification ready as late as possible, but still early enough to test it," the engineers explain. Now comes the kicker: "Compared to the presentation model, every aerodynamic surface has changed." "

Does anyone see any difference in the front suspension? It's supposedly thicker and therefore longer and more "wing like" but i can't spot the difference.

The mirror stalks appear to be connect to the mirrors more inwards, even if just marginally.

They've dropped the cooling outlet behind the halo, that area is a lot smoother now with the 'classic' cooling vents next to the driver's head returning.
Last edited by RZS10 on 26 Feb 2019, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

OO7
OO7

Mr.G wrote:
26 Feb 2019, 13:59
pantherxxx wrote:
My personal opinion is that they were planing to go with the first concept an in parallel prepare this one and test it during the season. However, during the first week of testing they decided that they need to check it rather sooner than later and bring it now...
That may be true of perhaps one or two components e.g the front wing end-plates, but as siskue2005 quoted from AMuS, the updated package was always in the works and the team wanted to spend as much time on it as possible.