Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zibby43

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

desl wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 10:11
MtthsMlw wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 09:31
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 09:26
Why is the front wing banned?
Because when looking from the side you can see the FW flaps and you should only be able to see the end plate.
What about the Williams front wing?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz2kgdYWwAAoWBr.jpg:large
Yep, they've been forced to modify their end plates as well.

paddyf1

zibby43 wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 10:15
desl wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 10:11
MtthsMlw wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 09:31

Because when looking from the side you can see the FW flaps and you should only be able to see the end plate.
What about the Williams front wing?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz2kgdYWwAAoWBr.jpg:large
Yep, they've been forced to modify their end plates as well.
Red bull too has changed their front wing, theirs was the same as merc and williams.

djones

All the millions on development and so many people working on car design and they miss something so simple that means the new wing is not even legal? Very poor from Merc there #-o

On a brighter note, at least they seem up there with Ferrari this race in practice so far.

FrukostScones

djones wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 10:52
All the millions on development and so many people working on car design and they miss something so simple that means the new wing is not even legal? Very poor from Merc there #-o

On a brighter note, at least they seem up there with Ferrari this race in practice so far.
with that FW... 8)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

e30ernest

djones wrote:

I don't think they missed this. They were likely trying to see how far they can get away with that concept. They probably have a back-up plan if the wing was flagged as illegal.

subcritical71

e30ernest wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 11:09
djones wrote:

I don't think they missed this. They were likely trying to see how far they can get away with that concept. They probably have a back-up plan if the wing was flagged as illegal.
Interesting that they might try this as the rules this year specify self scrutineering. How are penalties handled if a random check spots this after the team has declared the car legal? Doesn’t seem like much too me. Which may lead to some shady self scrutineering in the future (not just for the Merc, but F1 as a whole)
Last edited by subcritical71 on 12 Apr 2019, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123

djones wrote:

How is that very poor from Merc? Both Red Bull and Williams have ran such end plates in Australia and Bahrain.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

SiLo

Do the endplates have to be vertical? Could they angle them outwards to create similar outwash but with a shorter chord length?
Felipe Baby!

astracrazy

SiLo wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 11:47
Do the endplates have to be vertical? Could they angle them outwards to create similar outwash but with a shorter chord length?
Yes they do

atanatizante

I wonder if they are allowed to have a serrations/splitters on top endplate (both vertically and horizontally) on the cut-out part of it in order to create little vortexes (or maybe a stronger one) hence bigger outwash effect ...
Those serrations could be something like RB`s has on the middle flap FW ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

F1NAC

Just watching FP2 highlights and it seems that they were running with this new FW. When was it declared illegal and why didn't they ran older spec? If that's not the case then ignore the post :D

Phil

djones wrote:
It’s only been deemed illegal since a week when the FIA issued a new technical directive/clarification (possibly in regards to Williams and RedBull using it before).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

From what I have read, the changes have nothing to do with flaps, and everything to do with the shape of the leading edge. I'd add I don't see anything in the technical FIA documents for the weekend requiring a change, thus I think some of the press are jumping to conclusions.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/04/12/why ... g-designs/
197 104 103 7

subcritical71

dans79 wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 14:45
From what I have read, the changes have nothing to do with flaps, and everything to do with the shape of the leading edge. I'd add I don't see anything in the technical FIA documents for the weekend requiring a change, thus I think some of the press are jumping to conclusions.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/04/12/why ... g-designs/
It's hard to see how that rule was 'missed'. But that should be an easy fix and not have much of an impact, if any, on their weekend.

Sevach

Seems to me a combination of the new mainplane/flaps with a modified endplate is what Mercedes is running.