2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
yelistener
15
User avatar
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:55 am

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by yelistener » Tue May 14, 2019 12:27 pm

Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:50 am
That shows how fast the current cars are. Stick a slow chicane in the lap and the current car is less than half a second slower. Before the chicane, Bottas was miles ahead!
About 3s ahead before turn 12.

2019 has bigger track limit at some corners tho. T5 T12 with the extended kerbs allow the car to go wider. That's a few tenth advantage.

NathanOlder
115
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by NathanOlder » Tue May 14, 2019 12:38 pm

marvin78 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 am
I wonder how fast the 2014 car would have been with Slick tyres.
#-o #-o

I know what ya meant though :wink: (2004)

Mentioning tyres, the 2004 grooved Bridgestones were probably better than the 2019 Pirelli slicks anyway :lol: :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

Does anyone play F1 2019 on Ps4, Now setting up a league at

https://rapidpixelracing.com

marvin78
13
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 am

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by marvin78 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:41 pm

NathanOlder wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:38 pm
marvin78 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 am
I wonder how fast the 2014 car would have been with Slick tyres.
#-o #-o

I know what ya meant though :wink: (2004)

Mentioning tyres, the 2004 grooved Bridgestones were probably better than the 2019 Pirelli slicks anyway :lol: :lol:
Oh. Sorry for that. Yes, I meant 2004.

And I think the tyres on the bike of my daughter are better then Pirelli slicks of today ;)

Just_a_fan
475
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by Just_a_fan » Tue May 14, 2019 1:55 pm

yelistener wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:27 pm
Just_a_fan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:50 am
That shows how fast the current cars are. Stick a slow chicane in the lap and the current car is less than half a second slower. Before the chicane, Bottas was miles ahead!
About 3s ahead before turn 12.

2019 has bigger track limit at some corners tho. T5 T12 with the extended kerbs allow the car to go wider. That's a few tenth advantage.
So Michael in that Ferrari wouldn't have got out of Q1 last weekend being 3-4 seconds slower on the modern track layout. That's a nice indication of how much downforce and power the current cars make.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

TAG
106
User avatar
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: in a good place

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by TAG » Tue May 14, 2019 2:42 pm

marvin78 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 am
I wonder how fast the 2004 car would have been with Slick tyres.
Probably would have run out of gas before the end of the lap if it had today's cars fuel restrictions and equal fuel load.
Countdown to 91: 9 more victories ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

marvin78
13
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 am

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by marvin78 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:36 pm

TAG wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:42 pm
marvin78 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 am
I wonder how fast the 2004 car would have been with Slick tyres.
Probably would have run out of gas before the end of the lap if it had today's cars fuel restrictions and equal fuel load.
But that is not what I wondered about. That's because I know that.

Hammerfist
4
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:18 am

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by Hammerfist » Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 pm

Jolle wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:42 pm
Zynerji wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:30 pm
Lewis is reaching Undisputed status as the GOAT. Even with the best car, he still makes close to zero mistakes.
I think his last mistake with consequences was Baku 2016, Q3.... three years ago...
I am a hardcore Hamilton fan but I must point that is not correct. He binned it in qualifying at interlagos in 2017, and imo, the crash with Rosberg in Spain 2016 was also his fault. (Niki Lauda would agree).

But yeah...Lewis is so fast and he almost never gets it wrong these days. Amazing.

Jolle
155
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by Jolle » Wed May 15, 2019 12:46 am

Hammerfist wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 pm
Jolle wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:42 pm
Zynerji wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:30 pm
Lewis is reaching Undisputed status as the GOAT. Even with the best car, he still makes close to zero mistakes.
I think his last mistake with consequences was Baku 2016, Q3.... three years ago...
I am a hardcore Hamilton fan but I must point that is not correct. He binned it in qualifying at interlagos in 2017, and imo, the crash with Rosberg in Spain 2016 was also his fault. (Niki Lauda would agree).

But yeah...Lewis is so fast and he almost never gets it wrong these days. Amazing.
Spain was before Baku and the championship was already won when he put it in the wall during the Brazil Q...

Restomaniac
3
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 12:09 am
Location: Hull

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by Restomaniac » Wed May 15, 2019 1:32 am

Hammerfist wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 pm
Jolle wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:42 pm
Zynerji wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:30 pm
Lewis is reaching Undisputed status as the GOAT. Even with the best car, he still makes close to zero mistakes.
I think his last mistake with consequences was Baku 2016, Q3.... three years ago...
I am a hardcore Hamilton fan but I must point that is not correct. He binned it in qualifying at interlagos in 2017, and imo, the crash with Rosberg in Spain 2016 was also his fault. (Niki Lauda would agree).

But yeah...Lewis is so fast and he almost never gets it wrong these days. Amazing.
No way was it his fault.

No one to this day can give me a straight answer of why when the racing line is on the extreme left was Rosberg on the extreme right.

Hamilton went exactly where he should have gone to pass a teammate who has screwed up his engines settings for the start of the race. There is no way he could have forcasted his teammate would have pushed him off the track miles from the racing line because said teammate was unwilling to accept his mistake or let his teammate past him.

Also the only reason Lauda blamed Hamilton was because he said he should have waited. Something any good racer (including Lauda) would never had done in that situation.

Sorry Mods but just putting the record straight.
Last edited by Restomaniac on Thu May 16, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shakeman
51
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:31 pm
Location: UK

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by Shakeman » Wed May 15, 2019 2:50 pm

The Pure Pit Wall guys were asked about Bottas' clutch issue at the start of the GP and both seemed pretty sure it was the tyre/tarmac not the clutch that was the issue as there had been other races that day that favoured P2 side.

foxmulder_ms
2
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by foxmulder_ms » Wed May 15, 2019 4:53 pm

santos wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:40 pm
For more than 20 years i've been watching F1. I'm not stuck in the good old days. I enjoyed when Williams won championships with Hill and Villneuve. The batle of McLaren and Ferrari during the early 2000's. The batle between Schumi and Alonso, and i even enjoyed watching F1 when Red Bull won the 4 titles. In this era of the V6 engines i started to lose interest in F1. Not because of the engine. I don't care about the sound.
Nothing really happens in the majority of the races. Some could just end after 5 laps. All the talk about having to take care about tyres… i'm bit tired of it.
I don't even understand who pays to watch F1. There's ELMS, Blancpain, TCR... all for free on youtube.

Don't know if there's a solution, but it's better that FIA and Liberty do something.
I don't want to offend you but I watched those years too and I strongly disagree. Shcumi or Vettel domination years were similar/worse than now. Ferrari failing is the reason behind this 5 1-2s. as written like a million times before, Ferrari could have won 2 of the races. It only changed last week. I think Merc upgrades were just really good for Barcelona. We will see what the rest of the season will bring but people are reaching conclusion a little bit too hastily.

Mamba
7
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by Mamba » Wed May 15, 2019 5:40 pm

Jolle wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:46 am
Hammerfist wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 pm
Jolle wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:42 pm


I think his last mistake with consequences was Baku 2016, Q3.... three years ago...
I am a hardcore Hamilton fan but I must point that is not correct. He binned it in qualifying at interlagos in 2017, and imo, the crash with Rosberg in Spain 2016 was also his fault. (Niki Lauda would agree).

But yeah...Lewis is so fast and he almost never gets it wrong these days. Amazing.
Spain was before Baku and the championship was already won when he put it in the wall during the Brazil Q...
Championship over or not, it was still a mistake with consequences which is what is being discussed here.

yelistener
15
User avatar
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:55 am

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by yelistener » Thu May 16, 2019 12:34 am

Sector 3 Slow Corners


sosic2121
17
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by sosic2121 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:19 am

marvin78 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 am
I wonder how fast the 2004 car would have been with Slick tyres.
And active aerodynamics.

Jolle
155
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: 2019 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 10-12

Post by Jolle » Thu May 16, 2019 12:49 pm

sosic2121 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:19 am
marvin78 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 am
I wonder how fast the 2004 car would have been with Slick tyres.
And active aerodynamics.
oh... and active suspension, ground effect skirts and a blower on the back! with a turbo engine without restrictors and one lap qualifying tires. and that 150RON fuel!!