Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Jolle

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

DiogoBrand wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 00:03
Can someone explain what every button there does? I understand some of it, but there are plenty of things I don't.
I don't get what most of the rotary swiches are for, as well as the "Mark" button, the red button with an X, the RS button, and then there are the knobs:
The knob on the right seems to control the engine, so why is there a "Radio" setting for it?
And the knob in the middle, there are a few settings that seem to be for the screen, then there's Brake by wire, Torque? I mean, how does that knob work with so many unrelated settings on it?
mark is to put a marker in the telemetry. For instance when you feel something, his the button and you can find it again faster back in the garage.

the blue, red, silver and I think the green as well are setting for the different parts of the corner for the diff (how much it locks with certain torque levels)

The big purple knob are different fast pages for the screen, so you can program certain things, like something trivial as the beep volume for your shifting or the screen brightness.

the x I guess is a cancel button of some kinds, for when you're scrolling trough things

RS might be reverse

PL pit limiter

PC Pit confirm. when he presses that, they better be ready...

Green rotary on the dash are settings pages for the engine, gearbox and stuff.

yellow is for pre programmed settings for gearbox, energy, etc etc.

digitalrurouni

De Jokke wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 00:57
Hi, anyone knows if Merc dialed the engine back after the Stroll failure?

I find it odd that Merc still haven't figured out why they are loosing so much on the straights. Engine power used to be their thing until 2018. With their ressources, they should be able to understand how to get back on top of this, no?
This year, we should be okay (big advantage points wise + car for all tracks compared to Ferrari), but if Ferrari rectifies their car for 2020, Merc will end up losing both titles… Lewis simply lost pole due to a lack of engine power compared to seb. Still think (and hope) Merc will have the advantage in the race (strategy, tyre preservation, fuel efficiency, race power of engine)
0.6 seconds is what the Ferrari was gaining on the straights and 0.4 the Merc was gaining back in the corners. I don't think it's engine superiority but rather less downforce and less drag on the Ferrari. The engine outputs are probably very close to each other but the Mercedes is still more efficient in terms of fuel usage. So if you ask me the Mercedes is still ahead overall. There is no way one car is superior at every single track. It was quite obvious tracks like Monza, Montreal, will be Ferraris to lose.

Carl Mccoy

Silverstone, Spa, Red Bull Ring, Monza only tracks where Ferrari have chance to win.

mantikos

Carl Mccoy wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 15:40
Silverstone, Spa, Red Bull Ring, Monza only tracks where Ferrari have chance to win.
Of the ones mentioed, only Monza is a true chance. Merc has better aero and will own Silverstone and Austin, most likely Spa too.

Carl Mccoy

mantikos wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 17:42
Carl Mccoy wrote:
Of the ones mentioed, only Monza is a true chance. Merc has better aero and will own Silverstone and Austin, most likely Spa too.
But Ferrari has no problems in ultra-fast corners. Most fragments in Spa and Silverstone are actually straight sections. Where the power of the engine is needed.

De Jokke

digitalrurouni wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 14:19
De Jokke wrote:

I find it odd that Merc still haven't figured out why they are loosing so much on the straights. Engine power used to be their thing until 2018. With their ressources, they should be able to understand how to get back on top of this, no?
This year, we should be okay (big advantage points wise + car for all tracks compared to Ferrari), but if Ferrari rectifies their car for 2020, Merc will end up losing both titles… Lewis simply lost pole due to a lack of engine power compared to seb. Still think (and hope) Merc will have the advantage in the race (strategy, tyre preservation, fuel efficiency, race power of engine)
0.6 seconds is what the Ferrari was gaining on the straights and 0.4 the Merc was gaining back in the corners. I don't think it's engine superiority but rather less downforce and less drag on the Ferrari. The engine outputs are probably very close to each other but the Mercedes is still more efficient in terms of fuel usage. So if you ask me the Mercedes is still ahead overall. There is no way one car is superior at every single track. It was quite obvious tracks like Monza, Montreal, will be Ferraris to lose.
No, it's not according to Wolff (https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... WUwjB.html), it's really pure engine power (most likely better MGU-K/H deployment compared to merc). But they can't seem to figure this out (how Ferrari does it...)
I didn't say superior at every track but one that works on every track, compared to the Ferrari.
Austria and Monza will be hell for Merc, as will be Spa with this engine difference.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

digitalrurouni

De Jokke wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 19:46
digitalrurouni wrote:
De Jokke wrote:

No, it's not according to Wolff (https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... WUwjB.html), it's really pure engine power (most likely better MGU-K/H deployment compared to merc). But they can't seem to figure this out (how Ferrari does it...)
I didn't say superior at every track but one that works on every track, compared to the Ferrari.
Austria and Monza will be hell for Merc, as will be Spa with this engine difference.
Probably right but that article was before their PU 2.0 no? I agree they have superior deployment but they are not as good as the Mercedes on the fuel front as far as I can tell. Seemed like in Canada especially towards the end Vettel could not pull away cause of fuel saving from what I read. So in my mind ICE probably similar. Hybrid deployment Ferrari winner. Fuel saving Mercedes winner. Total hp output similar.

zibby43

De Jokke wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 19:46
digitalrurouni wrote:
De Jokke wrote:

It's not simply down to engine power. In fact, several reliable sources have indicated that Merc has the advantage with respect to the endothermic engine (from both power and fuel efficiency perspectives). Merc also has a strong MGU-K, but Ferrari have developed something clever (and legal) with respect to working the MGU-H harder.

GPS data has also confirmed that in race trim, the little edge that Ferrari does have with deployment in qualifying disappears. So when Ferrari performs well in a straight line during the race, their extremely efficient, low-drag philosophy plays a role.

The Ferrari is lacking downforce and is nowhere near as draggy as the Merc, which is why Ferrari have trouble putting the tires in the window, why they're beaten consistently in virtually all types of corners (including, sometimes, a few of the high-speed ones), and why they are straightline monsters.

The high temperatures on Sunday were a blessing for Ferrari, from a tire perspective. Helped them keep the tires in the window.

digitalrurouni

Higher temperatures results on thinner air and good for top speed as well I would think.

SiLo

Carl Mccoy wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 19:09
mantikos wrote:
Carl Mccoy wrote:
But Ferrari has no problems in ultra-fast corners. Most fragments in Spa and Silverstone are actually straight sections. Where the power of the engine is needed.
I think for certain tracks Ferrari will be faster but Merc will always be there, and ones that favour Merc they will drive off into the distance.
Felipe Baby!

Carl Mccoy

SiLo wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 09:58
Carl Mccoy wrote:
mantikos wrote:

I think for certain tracks Ferrari will be faster but Merc will always be there, and ones that favour Merc they will drive off into the distance.
I agree. Only on some tracks competition will be leveled. But even there, Mercedes will be a step ahead. Less downforce even on high-speed tracks means problems for the temperature of tires for Ferrari and this was seen in the second part of the race in Canada.

LM10

Carl Mccoy wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 12:40
SiLo wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 09:58
Carl Mccoy wrote:

I agree. Only on some tracks competition will be leveled. But even there, Mercedes will be a step ahead. Less downforce even on high-speed tracks means problems for the temperature of tires for Ferrari and this was seen in the second part of the race in Canada.
What exactly was seen? I've seen Hamilton locking up several times under braking at the hairpin which might speak for tyre temperature problems, but no signs from Ferrari side.

Just_a_fan

Hamilton was having to try to brake as late as possible to be as close as possible on to the straight. Vettel's Ferrari owned the track from the hairpin to the chicane and he had a bit of margin enough to allow him not to have to be quite so late on the brakes. If the Mercedes had been as good between the hairpin and chicane, Vettel would have been trying a lot harder on the brakes too. Indeed, if the Mercedes was a match on the long straight, Hamilton would have likely been by under DRS - even with DRS he couldn't get close enough to attack on the straight.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AMG.Tzan

One thing that impressed me during the race was how Vettel was able to gain 0.2-0.3 secs instantly right after the hairpin...like he had tons of traction!
Even when Hamilton didn't lock his tires and Vettel went a bit wide...he was still able to gain these 0.2-0.3 secs!!
I expected Mercedes to be fast out of the hairpin since they have great traction, as was seen in Monaco,...stay close out of the hairpin and with DRS maybe attack at the end of the straight! But it seemed they had such poor traction that when the DRS opened the gap had risen already from 0.6 to 0.9

Can anyone explain this?
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

siskue2005

AMG.Tzan wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 19:02
One thing that impressed me during the race was how Vettel was able to gain 0.2-0.3 secs instantly right after the hairpin...like he had tons of traction!
Even when Hamilton didn't lock his tires and Vettel went a bit wide...he was still able to gain these 0.2-0.3 secs!!
I expected Mercedes to be fast out of the hairpin since they have great traction, as was seen in Monaco,...stay close out of the hairpin and with DRS maybe attack at the end of the straight! But it seemed they had such poor traction that when the DRS opened the gap had risen already from 0.6 to 0.9

Can anyone explain this?
In the race they gained the time not just immediately after the hairpin, as soon as the traction dependent part of the track was over they were able to deploy their ERS and pull out massively and also by the end of the straight with their low drag setup they gained like 10 kph more than Merc. The interesting part was Lewis was able to pull all that back in the rest of the track and lose it again after the hairpin