Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
zibby43

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

This article does a good job of explaining how Ferrari's PU advantage is worth about 2 tenths of a second in qualifying.

In race trim, it seems Merc and Ferrari are pretty even on power with Mercedes holding an advantage with respect to fuel efficiency (which supports the claims indicating that Merc's ICE is slightly superior).

"In qualifying, the Ferrari was gaining 0.6s on Mercedes down the straights and the Merc was clawing only 0.4s of that back through the corners, a very different trade-off to that seen at more conventional circuits. With both engines in race modes, around 0.2s of Ferrari’s qualifying straight-line advantage disappeared – giving them near-equal lap time capability on race day, but delivered in different ways."

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... qbg1o.html

W10 rear suspension:

Compared to W09 rear suspension:

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 22:45
This article does a good job of explaining how Ferrari's PU advantage is worth about 2 tenths of a second in qualifying.
i wish Giorgio had done this year's in the same style! Anyway the new geometry does seem to have fixed the rear tyre overheating doesn't it, and it's good on traction. It 's curious how the Ferrari seemed a bit quicker on the Mediums then the Merc was quite a bit faster on the Hards

erudite450

izzy wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 11:34
zibby43 wrote:
It 's curious how the Ferrari seemed a bit quicker on the Mediums then the Merc was quite a bit faster on the Hards
I don't think it's that straightforward. Andrew Shovlin confirmed that they made cooling changes to both cars at the pitstops that allowed both drivers to push more in the second stint.

izzy

erudite450 wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 18:09

I don't think it's that straightforward. Andrew Shovlin confirmed that they made cooling changes to both cars at the pitstops that allowed both drivers to push more in the second stint.
oh yes i saw that, after i posted. That's more straightforward, if anything, just sayin :)

Drica

Jolle wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 00:17
DiogoBrand wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 00:03
Can someone explain what every button there does? I understand some of it, but there are plenty of things I don't.
I don't get what most of the rotary swiches are for, as well as the "Mark" button, the red button with an X, the RS button, and then there are the knobs:
The knob on the right seems to control the engine, so why is there a "Radio" setting for it?
And the knob in the middle, there are a few settings that seem to be for the screen, then there's Brake by wire, Torque? I mean, how does that knob work with so many unrelated settings on it?
mark is to put a marker in the telemetry. For instance when you feel something, his the button and you can find it again faster back in the garage.

the blue, red, silver and I think the green as well are setting for the different parts of the corner for the diff (how much it locks with certain torque levels)

The big purple knob are different fast pages for the screen, so you can program certain things, like something trivial as the beep volume for your shifting or the screen brightness.

the x I guess is a cancel button of some kinds, for when you're scrolling trough things

RS might be reverse

PL pit limiter

PC Pit confirm. when he presses that, they better be ready...

Green rotary on the dash are settings pages for the engine, gearbox and stuff.

yellow is for pre programmed settings for gearbox, energy, etc etc.
RS is the Race Start, gives you everything from the PU in first couple of corners, also prepares everything for the start, AFAIK

zibby43

izzy wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 11:34
zibby43 wrote:
i wish Giorgio had done this year's in the same style! Anyway the new geometry does seem to have fixed the rear tyre overheating doesn't it, and it's good on traction.
Agreed and absolutely. The car looks like a joy to drive in the slow-speed stuff, especially.

aral

Just a reminder that this thread is about the Merc W10, and has nothing to do with Ferrari. Please try to stay on topic.

zibby43

foneFanatiq

=P~ very nice! Mercedes and Honda PU look very tidy and attractive. thank you for posting that. :wink:

zibby43

foneFanatiq wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 23:51
=P~ very nice! Mercedes and Honda PU look very tidy and attractive. thank you for posting that. :wink:
You're very welcome!

Powerslide

speed

zibby43

Powerslide wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 01:11
was this in canada? nice pictures
Yep. Here are some more "detail" shots:

Last edited by zibby43 on 16 Jun 2019, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.

OO7
OO7

That last picture isn't from the Mercedes.

zibby43

Blaze1 wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 23:30
That last picture isn't from the Mercedes.
Yeah, it was the wrong link. Barge boards off the Ferrari, I think.

NathanOlder

siskue2005 wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 19:16
AMG.Tzan wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 19:02
One thing that impressed me during the race was how Vettel was able to gain 0.2-0.3 secs instantly right after the hairpin...like he had tons of traction!
Even when Hamilton didn't lock his tires and Vettel went a bit wide...he was still able to gain these 0.2-0.3 secs!!
I expected Mercedes to be fast out of the hairpin since they have great traction, as was seen in Monaco,...stay close out of the hairpin and with DRS maybe attack at the end of the straight! But it seemed they had such poor traction that when the DRS opened the gap had risen already from 0.6 to 0.9

Can anyone explain this?
In the race they gained the time not just immediately after the hairpin, as soon as the traction dependent part of the track was over they were able to deploy their ERS and pull out massively and also by the end of the straight with their low drag setup they gained like 10 kph more than Merc. The interesting part was Lewis was able to pull all that back in the rest of the track and lose it again after the hairpin
Yeah on the live timing the Mercedes was gaining a small amount out of the hairpin. It was after the first hundred meters or so that the Ferrari then went came into its own.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC