2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
charliesmithhd

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

https://reddit.app.link/Eliax5IplY
Ricciardo onboard for race, shows his battles with the mclaren boys

Red Rock Mutley

EJ does seem to have an inside view of Mercedes. I remember when he called Mercedes were to leave F1, Toto was visibly under pressure. He was right to an extent, they did re-evaluate their motorsport commitments, although in the end, it was DTM that was dropped in favour of FE. Certainly if that's back on the cards, a resurgent Mclaren is a good, safe pair of hands for reduced commitment.

The argument remains the same for Mercedes, they have reached saturation with their exposure through F1 and there's a natural tail off to leaving on top, being unbeaten in their time. Toto has talked about a changing of the guard and a need to bring through fresh blood, so there's a mood for change and 2021 had seemed the ideal break.

Mercedes would face the problem of containing the unholy mess that sprung up around the rumours last time; the negative publicity was massive. They'd leave a big hole on the grid, not to mention all the people that work at Brackley and Brixworth. But there seems to be way emerging. HPP is less of a problem - keep supplying customer teams, but the chassis side is an issue - they'd either have to let the people go, invest in other series, or partner up with a resurgent team looking for more people and a desire to get involed in more series

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 07:25
Ground Effect wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:06
SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 17:03

I actually like the rule... It does spice things up in the midfield, since it could be a handicap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The midfield hardly needs spicing up, it leaves the guys pushing for P7-10 exposed and at the bigger disadvantage, so what’s the point? If the rule brought the front closer to the midfield, then it would be brilliant, but it doesn’t. The top 6 ride off into the sunset, away from the midfield, irrespective of tyre choice.
they should give 1 point to every driver that makes q3. then it would at least pay to qualify 8th-10th on the grid.
Make it so #1

diffuser

M840TR wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:31
Lucky wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:46
_cerber1 wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 09:37

As I understand it, the rules will be the same as now. Why does Renault have problems?
rules can change. will increase fuel consumption and can start problems with reliability and power
The v6 formula is here to stay for 2021 onward and that's the crucial factor. Fuel flow rate increase - or what I believe you're referring to by fuel consumption - doesn't bear any significant effect on reliability and even if it did they've shown this year that they can keep up with the top 2; the PU has had solid reliability since Spain and the power gap is the narrowest it's ever been in the Hybrid era.
Increase flow will increase pu power in upper RPMs...so maybe problems. I don't foresee this coming. More likely is a movement towards a freeze in PU development or more restrictions on them. Something like, once the season starts all PUs must be the same spec. That rule was in the initial release of this spec but got removed cause it was too restrictive at a time when the power difference in the PUs from the different manufacturers was to wide.

SmallSoldier

The team is 2 points away from matching their result last year in the WCC with 48% of the Championship behind us... That is a fantastic result for the team... Hoping that we can surpass the 62 point threshold before summer break!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taperoo2k

diffuser wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 22:35
taperoo2k wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 22:27
geogate wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 22:11
it entirely depends on the agreement. If it were like the last time they were customers, then it's a terrible idea. Not willing to take EJ word for it anyways, so far it has zero credibility
A customer engine deal is the best McLaren can hope for until the engine regulations
change and they can attract a manufacturer to partner with them in a works deal.
I'd definitely swap the Renault PU for a Mercedes PU if the option is there.
As for EJ ? He's got a few stories right in the past, but we'll see.

If you don't get the chassis design correct then you'll be in heaps of
trouble no matter if you've got the best or worst engine on the grid in
the back of the car. McLaren have turned their fortunes around, so a change
in PU shouldn't pose too much of a problem if it's for 2020. A mid season swap
might be more problematic but the changes the team has made should
see them through it.
If Merc pull out of F1, what makes you so sure they'll keep up the investment in the PU?
Nothing in F1 is ever 100%. What these rumours show is that McLaren appears to be
in much better shape than before with a few more options on the PU side. If Mercedes want a continued presence in F1, then a return to the partnership it had with McLaren might not be a bad idea. But we'll see, McLaren just has to keep on pushing in every department to get back to where it wants to be.

Ground Effect

Interesting to note, no outlets, pundits etc picking up on EJ’s claim. File under fake news, or do we still regard it as early days? But surely news of that scale, others would investigate and report, nobody else is even referring to his claim, let alone verifying it.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Andres125sx

Two interesting things Sainz said to spanish TV after the race

1- Renault was faster because they used less wing, and during the race the wind rolled making McLaren setup too high downforce, losing too much time at the stratights

2- He literally said: "Slow corners are definitely our weak point", so they didn´t solve it yet

M840TR

Andres125sx wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 08:05
Two interesting things Sainz said to spanish TV after the race

1- Renault was faster because they used less wing, and during the race the wind rolled making McLaren setup too high downforce, losing too much time at the stratights

2- He literally said: "Slow corners are definitely our weak point", so they didn´t solve it yet
Yup. The headwind + Slipstream + DRS + Deeper RW were the major causes behind pace during race.

They didn't run the POU suspension yet so no wonder it isn't resolved. All upgrades focused on increased outwash.

_cerber1

Question: can You change the supplier of engines at the end of next year

Andreas Seidl: As you know, our contract with Renault is valid in 2020, and then options are possible. Now we are fully focused on working with Renault and are pleased with our cooperation.

Question: are You surprised that the maximum speed of Renault is higher than that of the McLaren

Andreas Seidl: This is due to different settings. We have a transparent relationship with Renault, we are fully confident in our partner. In addition, the regulations clearly state that the factory team and customers receive the same motors.

Q: Do you have an agreement when you get new items?

Andreas Seidl: Every time when Renault brought new items, it was evident from the results on the track. Both teams at the same time receive improvements, but sometimes we do not use them at the same time - it depends on the global plans.

Question: Do you use the same fuel and lubricants? You use Petrobras fuel, and they are BP Castrol.

Andreas Seidl: We now use the same fuel.

Q: So it's just branding?

Andreas Seidl: No, our cooperation involves different technical areas ...

Question: Are the lubricants Petrobras?

Andreas Seidl: Yes.

FittingMechanics

I doubt even lubricants are Petrobras, Seidl just got caught out by the question.

Sainz was talking about Norris and he said that they both give similar feedback to the team, and that they are currently have most to gain in low speed corners. My understanding was that they knew that for a while, and that there are developments in the works that should help with that.

I think he spoke to that effect in that Sky interview after the race (it was linked here in the thread).

bauc

FittingMechanics wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 13:35
I doubt even lubricants are Petrobras, Seidl just got caught out by the question.

Sainz was talking about Norris and he said that they both give similar feedback to the team, and that they are currently have most to gain in low speed corners. My understanding was that they knew that for a while, and that there are developments in the works that should help with that.

I think he spoke to that effect in that Sky interview after the race (it was linked here in the thread).
I believe Mclaren were aware that they were in ''trouble'' with the low speed performance even at the preseason testing.
So I'm sure that they are working on a long term solution while they add few pieces here and there to help with the issue, however that long-term solution maybe will only be applied to next year's car as if it does not show at the next few races I think the team will not introduce any more updates after the summer break.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 01:58
Interesting to note, no outlets, pundits etc picking up on EJ’s claim. File under fake news, or do we still regard it as early days? But surely news of that scale, others would investigate and report, nobody else is even referring to his claim, let alone verifying it.
Well, he said it will be announced soon, so that suggests it's a done deal. But he has been wrong in the past. I still expect McLaren to go back to Mercedes whenever there is a possibility. It will also give them a great benchmark instead of Renault. The same goes for Mercedes, because Williams and Racing Point are useless.

diffuser

bauc wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 13:59
FittingMechanics wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 13:35

I believe Mclaren were aware that they were in ''trouble'' with the low speed performance even at the preseason testing.
So I'm sure that they are working on a long term solution while they add few pieces here and there to help with the issue, however that long-term solution maybe will only be applied to next year's car as if it does not show at the next few races I think the team will not introduce any more updates after the summer break.
Spain S3 doesn't lie...we all knew that.

_cerber1