2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

Re: 2019 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 06 - 08

Midi wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:59
Ironically, I do think Hamilton would have had a better chance of winning had he tried Bottas' strategy with fresher tires at the end whereas most people said after Spa that they should have tried the undercut. Apart from the hard racing / legal defensive driving discussion I do find it positive that there are still races this year that even Mercedes needs to be 100% perfect to win which was not the case in Spa and Monza. For the rest off the season (bar Mexico perhaps) the program will return to normal I'm afraid.
Wait what? People were saying he should have tried the undercut in Spa, who exactly?

He was again fast at the end and was only a couple of laps from having a real shot at getting Leclerc in Spa, if he'd waited another couple of laps to pit maybe as well he could push the tires even harder while losing very little time on the old tires.

More over had he actually managed the undercut and come out ahead, it would instead be Leclerc who could hang out the first stint, go longer and have the faster tires at the end. The difference is he'd have come out quite close to Hamilton and had that Ferrari straight line speed advantage. The undercut is of zero use to Merc when it's Ferrari who have the straight line speed advantage at Ferrari's strongest tracks with long straight sections in a race. For Merc to win these races they need to go long and have the tires going to the end of the race. But fundamentally going longer in the first stint and having better tires in the second stint has worked at almost every track so far, it's worked so well so often that it's still baffling when anyone pits early thinking it's some awesome strategy.

The tires don't lose a lot of pace per lap, but they get thermally limited for lasting meaning the less laps you do the faster you'll be.

So if you start on lets say 1:20 laps and go to lap 12, or lap 25, you'll be doing roughly 1:20's right through. If you pit on lap 12 you'll end up doing 1:19's for the rest of the race, call it 35 laps, if you pit on lap 25, you'll do 1:18s for 22 laps. So you lose 1 second a lap for 13 laps, to gain 1 second a lap for 22 laps. It's a no brainer.

Vettel in Spa his times didn't drop off towards the end of the stint, he was doing about the same times start to finish, but when Leclerc/Ham pit later they ended up going around a second a lap faster due to length of stint and load on tires/temps as they start basically establishing the pace possible. Vettel was a second a lap faster in the final 10 laps for the same reason.

I was mystified that they pit Ham so early in Monza. Bottas was fundamentally slower, but wasn't losing a lot of time in those 8 laps longer he was out and it was easily made up later. Ham pitting 8 laps later would have quite easily won.

The really stupid thing is what they had was Bottas who they could pit first, completely safe in gap to those behind and use him and the threat of the undercut to force Leclerc to pit, then let Ham go long and then Ham come through at the end like Bottas except with a smaller gap to make up and a fundamentally higher pace.

The whole advantage of having 2 cars in the fight would be to utilise one to bait Ferrari into the wrong strategy but they used the faster driver with the best chance to win to do it rather than Bottas. Massive strategy flaw from Mercedes and imo, cost them a relatively easy win.

sAx
sAx

turbof1 wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 11:00
Sierra117 wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 10:55
santos wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 10:52
"It would be great for the sport and for the fans if we could have some battles" - Charles give him a good fight, the guy starts crying out loud because he didn't let him win. I know they are all the same, but the PR from Mercedes and Lewis is all a big pille of BS.
See Lewis' instagram post. He has no complaints.
He even gave Leclerc the bro handshake right at parc ferme. Yes, Lewis can be a complainer on the board radio, but then again half the grid is. Lewis was also very accepting of how the new norm will be concerning racecraft.
Doesn't quite sound like he complains much from the on-boards posted!
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

siskue2005

sAx wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 16:52
turbof1 wrote:
Sierra117 wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 10:55

See Lewis' instagram post. He has no complaints.
He even gave Leclerc the bro handshake right at parc ferme. Yes, Lewis can be a complainer on the board radio, but then again half the grid is. Lewis was also very accepting of how the new norm will be concerning racecraft.
Yes, he just mentioned that Leclerc pushed him off track....which was infact true coz FiA gave him black white flag for it!

GPR-A

siskue2005 wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 17:00
sAx wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 16:52
turbof1 wrote:

Yes, he just mentioned that Leclerc pushed him off track....which was infact true coz FiA gave him black white flag for it!
Lewis did say in the post race media area addressing that, it was in fact crossing the limits of hard racing and he also said, the FIA is lenient on the "new generation drivers" and he seemed pissed off. Same with Toto and he said, there would have been riots if FIA would have punished the Ferrari driver. Just that Mercedes folks did not made fuss of it.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... a-leniency

dans79

GPR -A wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 17:26
Lewis did say in the post race media area addressing that, it was in fact crossing the limits of hard racing and he also said, the FIA is lenient on the "new generation drivers" and he seemed pissed off.
I'd be more than pissed if I was him. If the rules had been applied as they had in every previous race, he would have won because Charles would have gotten a penalty for pushing him off track. I would have been in Charles face post race explaining how I don't take kindly to others putting my life at risk, and that there would be repercussions. Afterwards I'd make sure to flambe the stewards/FIA during the post race interview, in regards to how the new "let them race" policy means almost anything goes, and wasn't made clear prior to the start of the race.
197 104 103 7

Scorpaguy

I guess the Ham/Merc fans know how the rest of us felt during the first few years of Max driving thusly (maybe even a bit more so if you ask Ric).

dans79

A good Article write up form Palmer.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/49629863
Let's start with the facts.

Leclerc forced Hamilton off the road in the braking zone for the second chicane on lap 23, as Hamilton attempted a move on the outside. This is undeniable.
Firstly, this is not fair racing from Leclerc. The rules dictate that in such situations drivers must leave a car's width of space for their opponents, particularly in the braking areas, where they are in full control of their car's positioning, unlike at the apex or exit, where small slides can cause them to deviate from their original and intended trajectory.
In my view, the decision was clear-cut. Much as I didn't want to see a penalty, as it would have inevitably ruined the race, the rules are the rules and they must be adhered to for the good of the sport over the entertainment factor of the show.
With motorsport safety coming back into the public eye after the death of Anthoine Hubert in Belgium under F1's very nose, what sort of a statement is this?

It seems either idiotic or downright irresponsible, or even both.

Wolff made this exact point after the race.
197 104 103 7

izzy
izzy

dtro wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 05:25
Chuckles held it together despite the pressure, two mistakes that I felt had a measurable impact but nonetheless! Nice to see the Merc boys look at the Ferrari lustfully 8) Doesn't happen often. Bottas def looked less of a wingman than usual but couldn't change the narrative.

Looking forward to RB punching back at Singapore with Merc snapping at their heels. Ferrari should take Vettel out back and put him out of his misery, make him clean LeClerc's tires. Kimi would've done a better job.

Mclaren disappointing but the see-saw with Renault is fairly apparent on low df tracks, Renault and Honda see-saw at Monza that prioritizes straight-up PU grunt. Alex's race two faced almost- mildly psychotic followed by measured by underwhelming P6.

Not a bad race all things considered, not one I'll necessarily remember unless someone asks me where LeClerc won his second GP. The weekend was a --- show because of Q3 IMO. Parking lot speeds and frantic calls from the engineers telling racing drivers, racing drivers, to make it across the line before the session ends so they can start their second runs. Pure idiocy.
yes it was a good weekend I think too. Kind of 'important' more than an amazing race, but that huge shift at Ferrari from Seb to Charles, a win for Mattia at home, the stewarding story, and Mercedes getting through their worst race with a 2,3, typical! Renault as you say, great for them.

turbof1

#AeroFrodo

Steven
Owner

dans79 wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 20:02
A good Article write up form Palmer.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/49629863
Makes me wonder how Charlie Whiting would have proceeded through this season. Anyway, it doesn't matter.

And for the record, I too believe that was harsh from Leclerc. I think for Hamilton - and perhaps more of the more experienced drivers - it might be difficult to actually be more aggressive, knowing it's allowed once. When you're told it cannot be done for years, and you abide to the rules, and then suddenly, you can subtly push others away...

Bring on Singapore. Pushing someone off means, into the barriers :mrgreen: Perhaps the black&white flag will soon be shelved again.

mzso
mzso

sn809 wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:58
santos wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 12:51
Everybody speaks about the moment of Leclerc and Hamilton, but the fight between Sainz and Albon was way more dangerous, and i don't think that Sainz had a penalty.
Agreed, surprised he was let off without a penalty. Caused Albon to loose 3 places nearly.
I had similar thoughts. It was a jerk move. Leclerc's was just Verstappen light.

hemichromis
hemichromis

turbof1 wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 11:00
hemichromis wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 10:52
I'm not sure you could say Leclerc was part of the blocking, he was behind sainz and they were merely continuing a normal out lap pace.
The time loss came at the start when the group was being passed by cyclists.

This problem needs to be dealt with but I have no idea how it could be done fairly.
This is a circuit-specific issue. Some people want to change the qualifying format, but I don't think that is needed or even desired.

My thinking was using the pitstraight lane light. Have it turn to red 3 minutes before the end of Q3. You are not out of the pits by then? Though luck, you aren't allowed to exit anymore. That leaves 3 minutes for the cars on track to do their outlap. Enough time for them being greedy.
Good Idea.

Too obvious and simple for the FIA, however!

Big Tea

Guys, just asking like, mot taking sides, but how long does the 'warning' last? does it carry over races?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

strad

Lewis had no business trying to put his car there in the first place. But that obviously is just my opinion. Don't have much use for Palmer.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dans79

Big Tea wrote:
09 Sep 2019, 21:32
Guys, just asking like, mot taking sides, but how long does the 'warning' last? does it carry over races?
Black and white flags are for that race only!
197 104 103 7