2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
InsideF1

Re: 2021 Aero Thread

jjn9128 wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 15:50
With regard to the wheel covers. It seems they rotate with the wheels, have no holes other than for the wheel nut, and seal to the wheel rim - does this mean brake cooling is being forced to exit inboard? I recall the purpose of the last wheel covers was to enhance that outwash using the brake duct flow.
Yes, brake duct flow exiting through the wheel rims was found to be detrimental to the goals of keeping the wake narrow. As such the wheel rim covers rotate and also seal to the rim. This seal will likely be well defined as part of the PDC. The duct regulations specify both an inlet and an outlet area which sits on the inner side of the rim. I believe this will be the first time that this has been done at the front of the car but it was previously common practice at the rear. You are correct that the previous static wheel covers where used to enhance the front wheel wake control but then everything at the front outboard of the car normally is!

jjn9128

Sorry to keep poking. WRT the halo the rules point to the current FIA standard. Does that mean the current halo will be used or is the PDC on the FIA CAD parts the more swoopy halo?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

foxmulder_ms

djos wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 08:33
foxmulder_ms wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 05:43
I don't believe these changes will result in more overtakes. The change in turbulent air may let car behind stay close at the corners but this will translate into slipstream losing its effect on straights so late brake passes, which is the majority of the overtake moves,will become more difficult.
Go watch some late 90's and early 2k's Champ Car races and you might think differently afterward - they had the same overall aero philosphy and the racing was excellent!
??? Seriously.. Mika and Schumy years? dude the racing was all about strategy back then. We watched different races :D

I love current cars. The racing is really close nowadays I don't get the complains at all. Many here will be disappointed with 2021 :]

Holm86

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 15:19
Holm86 wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 13:14

Take a look at 1:32 minutes, you can clearly see two large vortecies pushing the wake down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epdmatdvSzk

NOTE: You may have to open the video seperately in youtube, as F1 doesn't let you implement the video #-o
Looks to me like the wake is being lifted up by the rear wing, with the side vortices entraining rear tyre wake in to the uplift.
I see it as the vortex is running inside the red area
https://imgur.com/kK7JasI

foxmulder_ms

I dont like rules like these. It is a list of prescription. Definitely killing creativity. Rules should dictate end results. They should say: you can burn 100kg fuel. Your car can weigh 700kg, you can only use 3 engines. no movable aero AND you can spent $150M. Let the field innovate. I like the cutting edge nature of F1 otherwise I would have watched Indy car. These changes are mistakes in my view. Terrible. they should let more creativity not less.

Maplesoup

foxmulder_ms wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 16:27
I dont like rules like these. It is a list of prescription. Definitely killing creativity. Rules should dictate end results. They should say: you can burn 100kg fuel. Your car can weigh 700kg, you can only use 3 engines. no movable aero AND you can spent $150M. Let the field innovate. I like the cutting edge nature of F1 otherwise I would have watched Indy car. These changes are mistakes in my view. Terrible. they should let more creativity not less.
Problem with that is that you leave open too many grey areas which could cripple half the field when combined with a budget cap. What if teams spent all the money and then one team discovers a grey area that gives them 5 seconds a lap. Say good bye to viewing figures for that season.

You may say, "well the deserve to win" and that's probably true but defeats the point of going racing.

Sevach

foxmulder_ms wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 16:20
djos wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 08:33
foxmulder_ms wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 05:43
I don't believe these changes will result in more overtakes. The change in turbulent air may let car behind stay close at the corners but this will translate into slipstream losing its effect on straights so late brake passes, which is the majority of the overtake moves,will become more difficult.
Go watch some late 90's and early 2k's Champ Car races and you might think differently afterward - they had the same overall aero philosphy and the racing was excellent!
??? Seriously.. Mika and Schumy years? dude the racing was all about strategy back then. We watched different races :D

I love current cars. The racing is really close nowadays I don't get the complains at all. Many here will be disappointed with 2021 :]
He was talking about Indy/Champcar not F1.

FW17

jjn9128 wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 16:06
Sorry to keep poking. WRT the halo the rules point to the current FIA standard. Does that mean the current halo will be used or is the PDC on the FIA CAD parts the more swoopy halo?
I think the Indycar aeroscreen might be development of Halo 2.0

wesley123

MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 11:55
As a 4 flap FW is allowed I wonder if anyone will even go for a 3 flap one as shown on the red model.
Front wing is much higher off the ground, thus there is less issue with pitch sensitivity, which is a large motivator for the elements.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Holm86

As far as I understand, every team need to upload their CAD models to the FIA?
I really hope FIA's data security is up to the task, I can just see it for me if hackers got access to the data, and sold it to other teams

bauc

Holm86 wrote:
01 Nov 2019, 22:53
As far as I understand, every team need to upload their CAD models to the FIA?
I really hope FIA's data security is up to the task, I can just see it for me if hackers got access to the data, and sold it to other teams
As I understood this uploads would be for non-essential parts only, but still its a big risk
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

MtthsMlw

Only these open source parts? Haven't understood that concept yet to be frank.

mzso

Wass85 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 12:56
My question is why are we changing the rules again. In 2014 cars could follow quite easily and we had some of the best racing ever that year yet we still complained.
Did you never see a good year in F1?
Wass85 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 13:08

That's my point, we started complaining they were too slow even though they offered great racing.
Or you don't know what great means. Because F1 pretty much gone to sh*t in the Ferrari dominant years. There might have been a few more good years if the Ferrari wasn't that better than the rest. By the time that era broke we didn't see good on track action anymore.

mzso

TheRacingElf wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:16
Wass85 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 19:14
Yes, they are keeping DRS. If the cars are easier to follow DRS will make it even more of a borefest. I'm telling you they are not wired up right, atrocious decision making.
If that's true that they are keeping DRS while coming up with regulations that allow better following they are indeed mental...We will get even more boring "overtakes" on the straights where a driver only pushes a button. What's the whole point of making cars easier to follow then?!
They said multiple times that they'll keep DRS as a fallback. They probably won't specify DRS zones, only on garbage tracks like Barcelona, Hungary, Zandvoort (per drivers' claims) and such.