2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, 29 - 1 November/December

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
turbof1

Re: 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, 29 - 1 November/December

I also want to add to that, rechecking the topic on the saturday discussions, that the power unit discussions and possible ferrari losses on PU performance, were derailing off topic. It started out relevant as people were discussing it in the context of the S3 times, but then it basically became a "they lost, they did not loose" argument where all previous races were involved.

We do allow quite a bit of freedom in the race thread, but it's not the intention such discussions become a dominant topic for several pages. Especially because this discussion was already done in the PU topic (although there the topic shifted a bit too much towards aerodynamics). Something to keep in mind for next season. I think this post actually sums it up perfectly:
Capharol wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 12:38
NathanOlder wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 12:35
How on earth did Ferrari get the car they brought to Abu Dhabi , on pole in Singapore. Please some explain that one.
we could, but that would mean bringing back a (the same) discussion that might never end
And like Hollus said, please no more "my driver is bigger than your's" bickering. There are obvious people not being mature enough to hold that discussion with respect. No, I don't want to hear anyone "tell that to the other person!". If you feel this is pointed at you, than that's for a reason.
#AeroFrodo

ubuysa

Does anyone know whether Max and Charles had a coming together whilst doing donuts after the finish? Greek TV cut to adverts at the finish and I missed the donuts. Both cars were stopped a long way from the car podium and had to be pushed there. The Ferrari looked to have floor damage too?

Sent using Tapatalk

NathanOlder

Looked like Charles was well short of where Max and Lewis were. Max was closer to Lewis I think.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

auv
auv

I thought that they crashed too, but actually it was ok.

Just_a_fan

Toto told Lewis to break the gearbox doing the do-nuts! Lewis said no, he didn't want to break his baby because he wanted to keep it. Toto said "keep it". I wonder if he'll really get to keep the car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Looks like Charles and Max either stalled their engines or forgot the finish procedure and turned them off before going to the line.

Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 12:37
Toto told Lewis to break the gearbox doing the do-nuts! Lewis said no, he didn't want to break his baby because he wanted to keep it. Toto said "keep it". I wonder if he'll really get to keep the car.
Many drivers have such a clause in their contract indeed. I think only at (Ron Dennis’) McLaren this was impossible, drivers weren’t even keep their trophies.

Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 13:16
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 12:37
Many drivers have such a clause in their contract indeed. I think only at (Ron Dennis’) McLaren this was impossible, drivers weren’t even keep their trophies.
Ron did offer Lewis McLaren's own F1 LM (one of 6 made) if he won 2 titles with McLaren. Of course, that never happened so the car was safe.

AMG.Tzan

langedweil wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 05:29
AMG.Tzan wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 20:45
These 10-15 laps where DRS was unavailable were just awful!! Just a reminder to all those haters of DRS of how boring an F1 race can get
You really mean that !?
In my opinion drs is boring as f ...
It is easily the main divider between top 3 and midfield. For instance, it took Bottas a good couple of laps to pass the Renault simply because he had to execute all preparation perfect to being able to pass the renault. Passed made were so much more driver skill, and a whole lot better than just pushing a button against a sitting duck.
If you look at Lec's attempt to re-pass Max at the backstraight; he was about 5/6 carlengths behind after the left/right corners, but with just a push of a button he was next to Max by the end of that straight ...
DRS, please leave ...
Perez's move on Norris and Sainz's move on Hulkenberg on the last lap both needed a lot more precision and skill even with DRS, than Bottas's move! Leclerc's move you refer to was one of the best i've seen the whole season...he had to work that outside line which is not easy and he at least had a chance to fight back after being overtaken! =D> =D>
Without DRS nothing of that would have happened!

The work of DRS is to bring a driver to within striking distance at the end of the straight...without DRS drivers just weren't close enough to make a move even on much slower cars and that is not about driver skill...it's about who's got more power and/or less drag...remember Alonso vs Petrov!

I don't think Alonso or his Ferrari weren't good enough to pass Petrov in a Renault! Renault just had too much top speed that year for anyone to pass them down a straight...just like Ferrari this year! This is where DRS comes in...it would have given Alonso a chance at least!

And to be clear i am not in favor of a too powerful DRS...i said above what is the logic behind DRS for me and F1 has shown us that they can get it right in many tracks just by playing with the DRS zone distance! :wink:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Pyrone89

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 12:38
Looks like Charles and Max either stalled their engines or forgot the finish procedure and turned them off before going to the line.
Or just didnt care about where exactly their car was as the were focused on the crowd, not some marker
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Just_a_fan wrote:
Haha, they stalled - rookie error!! They’ll both get better at it as they mature no doubt.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Just_a_fan

Pyrone89 wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 14:11
Just_a_fan wrote:
Or just didnt care about where exactly their car was as the were focused on the crowd, not some marker
:roll:

Unc1eM0nty

ubuysa wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 12:08
Does anyone know whether Max and Charles had a coming together whilst doing donuts after the finish? Greek TV cut to adverts at the finish and I missed the donuts. Both cars were stopped a long way from the car podium and had to be pushed there. The Ferrari looked to have floor damage too?

Sent using Tapatalk
On Sky they mentioned the engine temps would probably hit the roof with no air flow through the radiators

Capharol

this is how a tyre looks after doing donuts
(Max Verstappen)

Just_a_fan

A couple of circles in a donut is probably equivalent to a whole race! :lol: 8)