2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Hoffman900

Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

Valteri is good but Max is great. It was an optimistic call by Mercedes and traffic ate up whatever wiggle room they had in their strategy. Also, Max was probably pacing a bit due to the large gap to Lewis, and had more in the tank that the Merc. strategists factored.

Remember, Bottas was told he had to run 1:18.5s to catch him quicker than he actually did, and he did run those times. I don't have the lap times in front if me, but a quick look shows Valteri was overall faster than that. Someone should take the average from that point (radio transmission) to the end and that will tell you. If Valteri was faster than that, he exceeded expectations and it was the strategists who got it wrong.

langedweil

Re: Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

Wouter wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 22:26
El Scorchio wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 21:52
I wouldn't be overly surprised if he manages to keep car 77 behind him more often than not. Shocking display from Bottas today.
Max had a great race and should rightly get plaudits, especially considering what happened on the way to the start would have affected a lot of other drivers but he brushed it right off.
Also his start was fenomenal. This man deserves a decent car so everybody can see his talent.
Weirdly enough he did not get of the line that well, he just took the right line(s) outside .. which is always dangerous, and even more so on wet tracks.
But 4 places by the end of T1 isn't bad at all. Hope RB gets to dial in that car very quickly, a dominance like this is boring as f***
HuggaWugga !

jumpingfish

ME4ME wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:33
What were Ferrari even thinking. All through the weekend the soft had gone off after a few laps, somethings within a lap. Now they were filled with fuel and eventuelly i'd be bone dry. When Charles sees that clip he'll be bad at himself not questioning Ferrari's strategy call.
This is not the first time Leclerc has agreed to a strategy and lost because of it, but Seb has not. I do not remember after which GP Lec said that he needed to learn from Seb how to make the right decisions when choosing tires. Japan?

Bsowles

:wtf:
SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 17:58
El Scorchio wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 17:54

That’s me (waking up at 6am) for almost every race of the season :(

I’m in the same boat - west coast of the US. Most live stuff comes on anywhere from 2-6AM here. So, I just resign myself to the fact that I’ll be a little sleep deprived on race weekends. I don’t like having to watch race replays because invariably something on TV will show the final results before I’ve had a chance to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have my sympathy. It’s not easy.
Thanks, lol... It does suck, but there is no way I can enjoy a race after it has ended, even when I may stay away from the net/media to not spoil the result... Especially hard after too much bourbon the night before :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andres125sx

Don´t get too excited, all the drivers from the dirsty side of the grid suffered a terrible start as it was damp while the other side was almost dry. Bottas added to that his almost jump start, so Max built a gap while Bottas cleared the cars in between, but even in this track, even with a dirty side of the grid, Bottas was much faster and with some laps more...

But Max took advantage of that mistakes wich is what he has to do, that´s true, great job =D> . Only that reading some comments looks like he was faster than Bottas, when he obviously was not

Andres125sx

Oh and yes, he recovered from the stupid rookie mistake in the formation lap quite good, true, but what a mistake man #-o

That trophy should go to those mechanics stands, what a great job they did in so little time

NathanOlder

ME4ME wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 00:10
NathanOlder wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:49
RedBull certainly get more than their fair share of leniency from the Stewards. Everything seems to have gone their way this season. When was the last time they were 'hard done by'?
What other decisions do you think have been lenient this year?
Both instances with Albon in Hungary went in their favour, and wasn't it RedBull who pushed for Hamiltons grid penalty ? Now they get away with driving the grid in Hungary.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ME4ME

NathanOlder wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 09:28
ME4ME wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 00:10
NathanOlder wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:49
RedBull certainly get more than their fair share of leniency from the Stewards. Everything seems to have gone their way this season. When was the last time they were 'hard done by'?
What other decisions do you think have been lenient this year?
Both instances with Albon in Hungary went in their favour, and wasn't it RedBull who pushed for Hamiltons grid penalty ? Now they get away with driving the grid in Hungary.
What other Hungary instance are you referring to? I agree this drying the track issue could have gone either way.
But I don't think one can blame Red Bull for requestion a review of the yellow flag intrusion by Hamilton since there was video evidence. It's a competitors right to protest. Same with DAS. So I think it's rubbish to say the stewards are generally lenient towards Red Bull.

NathanOlder

Sorry I meant the 2 incidents in Austria, but now you mentioned 2 in Hungary, I also remember Albons dive bomb on Grosjean which damaged Grosjeans car.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

Andres125sx wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 07:55
Oh and yes, he recovered from the stupid rookie mistake in the formation lap quite good, true, but what a mistake man #-o

That trophy should go to those mechanics stands, what a great job they did in so little time
Horner said after the race he went off 3 or 4 times before he stuck it in the wall :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

mertol

So jumpstart detection system doing jack --- again #-o

Sieper

He didn’t went off, but he went to the absolute limit on several places already. I saw several skiddish moments indeed. That is what you get when you are trying to Find a way to claw back from 7th I guess.

In more then one way he was lucky the team saved the day, now RBR can go with a positive mindset to Silverstone. The first deception that Merc is unbeatable has now sunk in and subsided. Even beat one Merc.

mertol

I watched the incident and it looked to me it was savable if he would just release the brakes in order to not lock all 4 wheels.

Sieper

Apply for a seat. Albon is under pressure. You might get it.

63l8qrrfy6

mertol wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 11:28
I watched the incident and it looked to me it was savable if he would just release the brakes in order to not lock all 4 wheels.
you could have probably posted fastest formation lap too.