2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
gdanielwesley

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

PlatinumZealot wrote:Let us break the tyre failures down:

Blistering on front left? .. no
Contact patch worn down to carcas? no
Tears on trye thread? No
This could explaim why driver felt tyre was OK up to failure. The tyre did not fail due to wear of the thread but another type of damage and thus normal driver tyre " management" was not to blame.. But some other form of damage.

Sidewall breached?? Yes.
Delamination of thread to sidewall joint? Yes
Vissible deformations and standing waves before failure? Yes

This suggest that the inboard tyre wall had failed from separation due to maybe increased peak stress or fatigue.

I agree that it could be from debris cutting into the sidewall amd weakening it.
Or from the tyre slamming into the dirt trough dug by the cars at Chapel.
There was blistering in Bottas's tyres I think. a puncture through a debris would cause a more uneven seperation, unlike the one we saw which was along the inside sidewall.

Bottas lost a lot of time just before this tyres gave up, it just looks like the tyres gave up before the expected life.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

holeindalip

It’s all a bit strange, Hamilton in 2019 did 40 laps on the Hards and set his fastest lap on the last lap with a 27.3 and wasn’t running a pace anywhere near that in the race

ENGINE TUNER

gdanielwesley wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 05:48
PlatinumZealot wrote:Let us break the tyre failures down:

Blistering on front left? .. no
Contact patch worn down to carcas? no
Tears on trye thread? No
This could explaim why driver felt tyre was OK up to failure. The tyre did not fail due to wear of the thread but another type of damage and thus normal driver tyre " management" was not to blame.. But some other form of damage.

Sidewall breached?? Yes.
Delamination of thread to sidewall joint? Yes
Vissible deformations and standing waves before failure? Yes

This suggest that the inboard tyre wall had failed from separation due to maybe increased peak stress or fatigue.

I agree that it could be from debris cutting into the sidewall amd weakening it.
Or from the tyre slamming into the dirt trough dug by the cars at Chapel.
There was blistering in Bottas's tyres I think. a puncture through a debris would cause a more uneven seperation, unlike the one we saw which was along the inside sidewall.

Bottas lost a lot of time just before this tyres gave up, it just looks like the tyres gave up before the expected life.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk
It wasn't blistering, it was pickup on the inside of the front right(Hamilton and others had it), the front left is the most stressed tire in Silverstone, and the one that failed.

This is most definitely because of the incompetence of pirelli. It had nothing to do with debris. Every year we hear these false excuses to cover up for their incompetence. Vettel told the truth about pirelli's garbage when his tire burst in Spa, but he was quickly silenced. Hopefully nobody is hurt or dies because of their trash, thankfully they didn't fail like in Silverstone 13, letting off flying guillotines.
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 03 Aug 2020, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

GPR-A wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 20:31
dans79 wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 20:17
https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/02/ver ... it-horner/
“The tyre that came off the car had about 50 little cuts in it,” said Horner. “So it’s been through debris.”
There have been races in the past where the tyres were almost down to carcass, but still completed the race. These failures looked sudden, even by Lewis' admission. So, Horner is most certainly right that there was potential debris. Kvyat's failure was equally sudden. Those people saying the tyres blew due to wear, don't seem to understand anything.
It wouldn´t be first time Pirelli tires explode when there´s still some rubber in them, and all Hamilton, Bottas and Sainz punctures where on the front left. Those are suspicious coincidences

Bsowles

MadIggy wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 15:46
Are marsals in Silverstone always so slow?
I was wondering the same thing. I know resources are thinner due to covid, but if they moved any slower they go back in time. Maybe they need an expresso. On second thought, they don’t drink coffee there, just tea.
Last edited by Bsowles on 03 Aug 2020, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

Bsowles wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 08:48
MadIggy wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 15:46
Are marsals in Silverstone always so slow?
I was wondering the same thing. I know resources are thinner due to covid, but if they moved any slower they go back in time. Maybe they need an expression. On second thought, they don’t drink coffee there, just tea.
They had to carry the car quite a long way to an exit point. So had to wait for the forklift to arrive and then it takes a while to move it off track. There is a nearby marshal point but it doesn't have an exit point to allow cars to be removed. Hence they needed to take it a bit further.

The car was in the gravel at the top here, and the exit they needed to use at the bottom by the other gravel.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Silve ... -1.0146634
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

notsofast

Brundle claimed that Kvyat's accident was caused by a left-rear puncture. Has anything further been said about that?

notsofast

There was a helicopter shot from above the Spitfire during the flyover. Without the fans, it made the whole thing seem incredibly small. Just a group of people standing on a small bit of tarmac in the middle of a vast empty space.

Just_a_fan

notsofast wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:37
There was a helicopter shot from above the Spitfire during the flyover. Without the fans, it made the whole thing seem incredibly small. Just a group of people standing on a small bit of tarmac in the middle of a vast empty space.
We saw the flypast Spitfire as it was setting up its run over the circuit. It came over where we were shooting clays about 5 miles away from Silverstone. Everyone stopped, ear defenders came off and we all smiled at the sound of the engine. 8)

Phil

notsofast wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:34
Brundle claimed that Kvyat's accident was caused by a left-rear puncture. Has anything further been said about that?
I'm not sure, but ORF analyzed it and you can see in the slow-mo footage of the broadcast that there is a puncture just as he is about to leave the track and that part of the tire wasn't on the curb or anything.

EDIT: I'd have to watch it again, but I am fairly certain it was rear-right, not rear-left?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:48
notsofast wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:37
We saw the flypast Spitfire as it was setting up its run over the circuit. It came over where we were shooting clays about 5 miles away from Silverstone. Everyone stopped, ear defenders came off and we all smiled at the sound of the engine. 8)
And nobody took a crap shot at the Spit? Not even a tiny sneaky one :D

It is impressive indeed. I live near the Arnhem "John Frost" bridge, which has been the place for several 44 remembrance / tribute air meetings and so. That Merlin makes a special sound indeed.

Just_a_fan

Sieper wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 13:06
Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:48
flypast Spitfire as it was setting up its run over the circuit. It came over where we were shooting clays about 5 miles away from Silverstone. Everyone stopped, ear defenders came off and we all smiled at the sound of the engine. 8)
And nobody took a crap shot at the Spit? Not even a tiny sneaky one :D
Sadly, no. It was all very quick and if you're holding a shotgun, you're not holding a phone too. Dropping a shotgun to get your phone out is a bit of a no-no. :lol:

Mchamilton

notsofast wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 12:34
no it was a right rear puncture, hence why he was sent to the left. watch the onboard and note the left front wheel being well off the ground as he spins.

PlatinumZealot

I heard the Force India had ERS problems in the race. It should have been a huge points hauling race for them but they looked toothless.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ClarkBT11

cooken wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 00:09
zeph wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 23:32
cooken wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:22

We're all waiting for you to bring forth specific examples, go ahead. I won't hold my breath.
what’s with the attitude? Do I know you?
It's the internet, doubt anyone knows anyone else really. You said something silly and I just felt like calling you out. Again, internet, don't take it personally. The amount of baseless claims has been rampant of late.

Your Leclerc example is noted and appreciated. However I disagree that he was penalized for less in that instance. As someone else pointed out that was much, much worse.
Race thread fiction is the staple of most race threads, take with a pinch of salt everyone has an opinion I don't even bother biting anymore not worth shortening my life getting stressed over nothing. I enjoy reading the car threads and looking at the pictures of engines. I wish bhall was posting still. And I think some objective members have changed their profile names... :wink: