McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL35

Nice clear view of Flow-vis...

Enlarge in new Tab...

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 14:22
https://image-cdn.parler.com/F/D/FDSVMpyOhh.jpeg

Changed as well ??
That was there.

McFAN

From Motorsport.com.

"McLaren is believed to be the first team to have tested a 2021 style specification floor, having equipped Carlos Sainz’s car with a new design in Belgium.

It was only a brief dalliance during FP1 but this will undoubtedly offer some real-world insight into the amount of downforce that will be lost by the changes and provide the team with some crucial data in order that it can recover some of those losses.

Speaking earlier in the day, McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl said that the parts were about getting some understanding for later in the year – when teams will be to finalise their development direction."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... a/4864415/

CjC
CjC

mclaren111 wrote:
29 Aug 2020, 10:48
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... _HiRes.jpg

Enlarge in new Tab...
I don’t think those side pod vanes were on the car for qualifying :?
Just a fan's point of view

Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 08:50
mclaren111 wrote:

Enlarge in new Tab...
They were testing for future races, could be on for Monza
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 09:45
CjC wrote:
30 Aug 2020, 08:50
mclaren111 wrote:

Enlarge in new Tab...
They were testing for future races, could be on for Monza
I think Albert Fabrega said as much too.

CjC
CjC

I read this on Friday:

Andrea Stella, Racing Director

“We’ve had a productive Friday. The rain that was expected at some stage didn’t show up, so we were able to run consistently with both cars and get through the programme. Today, that involved assessing some aerodynamic and mechanical parts being introduced at this race, and, of course, understanding the tyres – in case it’s a dry race.’’

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... NlfPf.html

Does anyone have any idea what these mechanical parts might be? As we are aware it’s this side of the chassis we are lagging behind now but during the race at Spa I would say we had good tyre life at the end of the stint compared to TP but not necessarily Renault though (who I don’t support by the way :roll: ).
Just a fan's point of view

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Emag

Seems like a lot less downforce than Spa. Renault in the other hand had a similar wing for Monza to the one they had in Spa, so quite a bit more than McLaren have here I would say. Hopefully the car is gonna have enough downforce to be quick on the straights and not suffer from tire wear on the race.

_cerber1

Chicane

Quickshifter

Ground Effect

Chicane wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 14:53
The optimist in me believes that for McLaren to have enough confidence to go this low, there’s a good reason. Hopefully they’ve brought some other bits and pieces, maybe the mechanical elements they tried out last week? (I don’t know if they stayed on throughout the weekend) Fingers crossed they’re able to fully exploit.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Chicane

I had said before Spa that the 'normal' traditional downforce settings for various tracks has changed in these cars. The wing levels needed are reducing with the sheer amount of downforce these cars produce from the floor and diffuser.

Silverstone was a medium-high downforce track traditionally but this year a low downforce setup was faster during the race. Spa went from Medium to low. Monza will go from low to ultra low. The way teams used to attack the setup work has changed big time.

Good to see Mclaren actually attempting to go really low downforce here. In a F1 car downforce is important but what is even more important is balance and efficiency. A car which may lack a little in downforce but is balanced to drive and has better aero efficiency will produce quicker lap times, better consistency and better tyre life. I hope they nail this setup this week so that they can start to match Renault in the low downforce configuration. In the medium to higher downforce setup Mclaren already have a very good base.
Quickshifter

mclaren111

Emag

So Renault have gone for more wing but using a "Spoon" configuration and Mclaren has gone for less wing but a flat configuration. Let's see which one is going to work better.