2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Schippke wrote: ↑
06 Sep 2020, 17:06
Consider where Gasly was at the mid-way point of 2019... to where he is now. Yes, these are unique circumstances, but in an environment where he is more relaxed and supported and driving like he is able to. Honestly, really happy for him.

I truly hope he gets a chance again in another top team... and not in Red Bull. :P

Had Sainz had 1 more Lap... he might've gotten it, but either way this was going to be a special result for either of these 2 drivers.

Fascinating race!
Funny you say that. Because he would never be got the chance to win if he was driving for RedBull! Lol. He is probably better off than Albon at the moment.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

piast9
piast9

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
07 Sep 2020, 00:38
piast9 wrote: ↑
07 Sep 2020, 00:21
07 Sep 2020, 00:13

The drivers got a large penalty - the largest they can get in-race other than a black flag.

Penalties applied to road driving are not relevant.
Why not? It is a safety issue the same as in the road driving. Red lights at the pit lane entry and exit are not for kicks and giggles.
It's not the same as the public road. That's obvious to all.

Public road penalties are not relevant to the track anymore than track penalties are relevant to the road. "Hey, officer, I'll take a 10 second stop and go penalty for running the red light". Don't think so, do you?

A penalty was already applied in the form of a demotion to the back of the field.
It is not how the penalty points work in F1. You get points for causing a collision, ignoring yellow flags, jumping the start or unsafe track rejoin despite of the time penalties issued during the race.

It is normal in F1 as well as in similar to a road traffic where you get penalty points despite of getting the ticket as well.

PlatinumZealot

NathanOlder wrote: ↑
06 Sep 2020, 17:32
Wass85 wrote: ↑
06 Sep 2020, 17:28
Just think if Merc let Hamilton stay out instead of foolishly boxing him at the end of the first lap he may have got both Ricciardo and Bottas.
absolutely not ! pitting straight away was best option.
rules say he has to pit within X laps too.

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
07 Sep 2020, 01:29
NathanOlder wrote: ↑
06 Sep 2020, 17:32
Wass85 wrote: ↑
06 Sep 2020, 17:28
Just think if Merc let Hamilton stay out instead of foolishly boxing him at the end of the first lap he may have got both Ricciardo and Bottas.
absolutely not ! pitting straight away was best option.
rules say he has to pit within X laps too.
3 i think, either way he was going to come out last, clear track would be the same wether in front or at the back, pitting straight away and hoping for another SC was his best bet.

PlatinumZealot

Schuttelberg wrote: ↑
06 Sep 2020, 22:43
I thought the party mode ban would make Mercedes faster? Why was Bottas then complaining about it today? Specially after his cocky jibe yesterday?

Weird. Toto also said they'd be faster in races and a more honest man has never spoken. Weird.
Its monza. Everybody's race mode power is turnt up! Even DRS wasn't making much of a difference. Will see engine mode better in other races.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Well that was definately an interesting GP.

Some stuff I took from the Monza GP:

1 - Fantastic to see Gasly win, and seeing his energy. He's put himself in pole position now to get back to RedBull.
2 - Stunning driving from Sainz, nice to see him 'in the game'. Definately will be missed by Mclaaren, definately a gain for Ferrari.
3 - Mclaren were interestly strong all weekend. The Renault engine is doing pretty well it seems.
4 - Verstappen had big problems, don't know why and how, the winning car was a Honda after all.
5 - Albon was nowhere at all, he's quickly falling down the lines, he's not gonna last long like this by any means.
6 - Bottas even worse, idgaf about supposed damage, he trashed the race at the start, and he got repaired at the restart but was 'lousy' at the very best.
7 - Hamilton had bad luck, --- happens, whatever.
8 - Mercedes (toto) bigmouthed their 'party mode' game, bit them back hard, we had Bottas literally scream in anger over the engine modes.
9 - Ferrari embarassingly bad. Binotto MUST leave. What a farce.
10 - Next race is in Mugello, 'just around the corner' without much change. veeeerrryyyy curious to see what will happen there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Moore77

ispano6 wrote: ↑
06 Sep 2020, 22:46
El Scorchio wrote: ↑
06 Sep 2020, 19:10
Yes but again WHY did some deserve good karma and some deserve bad karma? This is what is not being understood?
There is no why, there just is. Good Karma came from diligence and Bad Karma from arrogance. If anyone feels crappy about the results of the race, maybe they deserve to feel that way. Alpha Tauri ebbed and flowed with good Karma, Red Bull likely had some bad Karma. Good decision making led to Good Karma, bad decision making led to Bad Karma. Are you going to ask "BUT WHY?" again? If so, direct your question to those responsible for the Bad Karma and arrogance and decision making! Sometimes people need to eat a slice of humble pie or their own words. Like those who trash talked Honda PU being slower than the Renault "lump" in the back of the McLaren. Surely Bottas should have won the race if the Mercedes car was so dominant. People here were calling the race even before it happened. I said wait until the race is over. Abiteboul said that Red Bull missed the "trick" of not being a PU manufacturer and car builder in one. Well look what the small budget Alpha Tauri team was able to pull off. If anything, Alpha Tauri has had more time to work with Honda as a partner and the notion of "customer" team isn't here as they get equal support and treatment with Red Bull through Red Bull Technologies.

I could say "eat crow" or "what goes around comes around", would you understand that?
Pany wrote: ↑
05 Sep 2020, 20:29
But if you pretend to fight for title you must be competitive in Monza too
Moore77 wrote: ↑
05 Sep 2020, 20:11
Schuttelberg wrote: ↑
05 Sep 2020, 19:49
I love how Mercedes are pretending that the party mode ban makes them stronger. I can bet my last bottom dollar that the snake Wolff would never have been using it the other way round if it was so. What is scary is how much faster Mercedes would be if they had the modes.

The arrogance can be smelt from a distance. One day this will end, and the saying 'how the mighty have fallen' will imply.

Will they have the guts to stay and fight it out or will they go home?
It's the usual rule of the human history that those in power, can afford to be arrogant. Mercedes have more good reasons to be arrogant as rule change after rule change, nothing is stopping them. By the time they fall, I am sure the legacy would something that the F1 would never forget. So more than saying, how the might have fallen, they would probably remembered as "How great that team was". They endured frustrating few years, toiling in the mid field and facing a great deal of embarrassment before taking the F1 by storm. For as long as they last in the way they are, they can afford to be arrogant and the world can simply watch on.
The good karma came to one Honda powered car from diligence and BAD KARMA for the rest 3 because of arrogance (I would count it bad karma for Kvyat's car as his team mate won and he was a paltry 9th). I got it.

In sports, there's is always bad luck that can hit the Dominant one. If not for a stupid call by FIA, Mercedes would have crushed the field. A failed Red Bull and a disappeared RedBull Honda shows the KARMA part of asking for Party Mode ban. If anything, this a bad omen for things to come for the rest of the year for Red Bull Honda masked by a momentary happiness. An Alpha Tauri will not always come for salvaging pride.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

algebraist
algebraist

I normally don't post on race threads but here goes ...

Hulkenberg has a car failure of some description, I really don't care what it was only that he had it. He does the decent thing by moving offline and crawling around the track for a section of barrier marked in orange paint. This indicates that there is an area with marshals that can move the car off track safely. Except in this case, the marshals have some sort of tent and table there so the area is completely useless.

So instead of clearing that out of the way and pulling the car back, the marshals and race organisers go "hey, the pit lane isn't far from here. push it there!" and they do. This instigates a full safety car (!) and a very rarely seen message to close the pit lane during this process.

In fact it's so rarely seen, that the message clarifying the situation is not immediately visible. It's instead on page 4 (!) of the timing sheets and in Mercedes case, only one person back at Brackley HQ spots it. By the time that's communicated back to pitlane, Hamilton has made an illegal pitstop. Wow.

Now we get to the track stuff. There's red lights on the left hand side of the track. Problem is it's a right hand corner and the drivers are understandably looking right so they miss it unless told by the team. Turns out there's a board being waved by the marshals prior to all this ... but it says "SC" with zero indication that the pitlane is closed.

The team on the pitwall get a strange SC X X type sign they've never seen before. As Diesel has stated in previous posts, there's no real explanation what this is or standardisation of this message according to the rules. Thus momentary confusion reigns.

So with all of this in mind, while Mercedes and Alfa Romeo did make a mistake and break the rules it wasn't exactly bloody easy to avoid? Chaos reigned supreme at this point!

I have enough blame for the marshals, the FIA and the teams to go round on this.

As for the rest of the race? What race? Stayed precessional after the restart with the exceptions of Raikonnen going backwards and Hamilton driving like a man possessed. Again. And we had Sky F1 commentator calling for reverse grid races for qualifying on the basis of this? Well I didn't have much respect for Crofty but he's just entered the Christian Horner gobshite arena now. Brundle managed to point "some" of this out but also got suckered by the reverse grid concept. Well, reverse grids work in spec series but F1 is NOT a spec series! This is the same knee jerk reaction to Canada 2011 that got us these shitty bubblegum consistency tyres.

For me this is just a new low. We've had mistake compounded on mistake here and it's provided some excitement but basically disguised an utterly dull race.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Schuttelberg wrote:I thought the party mode ban would make Mercedes faster? Why was Bottas then complaining about it today? Specially after his cocky jibe yesterday?

Weird. Toto also said they'd be faster in races and a more honest man has never spoken. Weird.
Because by only having one mode in the race, they were running the engine hotter (probably considering been at the front of the grid and not stuck behind a remarkably fast Mclaren)... If they could have had other modes available, they would have probably run the engine a bit cooler, keep their distance to Norris and once temperatures dropped, go back to a hotter mode to try and make the pass.

Bottas was complaining about the car from start of the race, his comments about the engine mode were probably just a part of his overall frustration after losing positions on the start and how difficult it was to follow other cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alexx_88
alexx_88

Not trying to take anything away from gasly, but although he has been driving very well this year, yesterday's win was based solely on the luck of not having pitted during the SC phase. He (and a few others) got their tires changed for free during the red flag. There's no other explanation to going from 10th to 1st otherwise.

search

alexx_88 wrote: ↑
07 Sep 2020, 06:31
Not trying to take anything away from gasly, but although he has been driving very well this year, yesterday's win was based solely on the luck of not having pitted during the SC phase. He (and a few others) got their tires changed for free during the red flag. There's no other explanation to going from 10th to 1st otherwise.
he did (from hards to mediums) but that was actually not the key factor. His benefit came from the fact that he did his pit stop right before the safety car came out, and pits were closed then. Therefor everyone packed up behind the SC, and when pits were open, he went past all those cars. That's how Indycar races are won every other week btw, where it's normal that pits are closed.

Basically saying, Gasly got into this opportunity to fight for the victory because he burned his first set of tires early. So yes, apart from a stellar performance in the 2nd part of the race, it needed luck to win. A lot of it. Had pits not been closed, he wouldn't have scored a single point yesterday. But that's part of the game

Moore77

In Mugello, Toto would be like, "You have to take Alpha Tauri and Gasly seriously, they are title threat now!". :)
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

siskue2005

jz11 wrote: ↑
06 Sep 2020, 22:47
low DF track where DRS offers basically no help, and midfield, where the fights might have had happened, were all in top speed setup, which means they lack DF to even begin to try and follow someone to get a reasonable chance of drafting and doing it the old way, and no one was really out of place with an obviously slow car in front to have a reason to overtake, at the end there Sainz had the motivation to try it, despite the team even asking/telling him to stay put, yet he could barely stay there with Gasly, I doubt he would have managed to get past him, more likely he would use all the stored energy he had saved and had to go into conservation mode after finally getting into DRS range, despite that wishful thinking message on the radio saying he could do it with one more lap

and remember - they manage their pace, drive to simulated target times, because if they go faster, the tyres start to fall apart

these are the reasons why there was no overtaking, not the engine mode ban
The Italian GP in the last decade with KERS and DRS has been really great spectacle with great overtaking for lead and podiums, and the midfield had even more overtaking. It is not like this is the first ever Italian GP with DRS.
Nobody could close up in DRS, even with DRS no one made any impression of getting closer

The the tyres are same as 2019, nothing else has changed other than engine modes

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ispano6 wrote: ↑
07 Sep 2020, 01:09
06 Sep 2020, 23:50
nacho wrote: ↑
06 Sep 2020, 23:42
I think mercedes didnt take tows in qualy because they already knew its gonna cook the engine
In one lap? No way. If that was the case, Bottas's engine would have being a molten puddle on the track by lap 5. :roll:
It might have been if they didn't change out the body work during the red flag.
He was sat in a DRS train for the whole race before the red flag. He did all of those laps without the engine melting, ergo one single lap in qualifying wouldn't have been a problem.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

siskue2005

Moore77 wrote: ↑
07 Sep 2020, 08:11
In Mugello, Toto would be like, "You have to take Alpha Tauri and Gasly seriously, they are title threat now!". :)
More like he will say, "You have to take FIA and Masi seriously, they are title threat now!". :roll: