2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
User avatar
JordanMugen
68
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

nevill3 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:22 am
Thanks for the clarification, after a bit of digging I had found the rule about no mandatory pit stop during vsc and came back here to post, but you beat me to it.
Yes. Formula One can definitely consider adding a rule about no pitstops for tyre changes under VSC IMO.

No pitstops under regular SC however, is somewhat counterproductive as everyone just pits as soon as possible, as the risk of getting trapped behind the safety car without having done your pitstop is far too high.

User avatar
JordanMugen
68
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

NathanOlder wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 10:00 pm
quite right. Only 1 circuit on the calendar like this one, so not a bad thing to be slow here and fast everywhere else.
Tomorrow hopefully will be entertaining
Would it be feasible to add the Macau Grand Prix to Formula 1 (with an equally iffy Grade 1 status, just like Monaco)?

The circuit isn't all that different to Monaco, perhaps a touch tighter, and it would be a lot of fun indeed!

Image

The Macau circuit seems quite reasonable for F1 really, no worse than Monaco. :D

User avatar
NathanOlder
48
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

MKlaus wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 5:58 am
NathanOlder wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 10:00 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:56 pm


MKlaus, and Tizz (who joined to his defense), should be forgiven. They misunderstood the term tyre whisperer and the fact that it has little to do with heating up qualifying tyres in Monaco. Let them be. They're just in tizzy because HAM had a bad day. Understandable. Let them enjoy it. Start your rain dance.We race tomorrow.
quite right. Only 1 circuit on the calendar like this one, so not a bad thing to be slow here and fast everywhere else.
Tomorrow hopefully will be entertaining
that's the advantage of having a dominant car. despite mid field driver like performance on a driver's track, one can still win championship. what's the chances if perez showing a good move on lewis or his gearbox, although he just doesn't have it in him to be racy.
Yeah well if you help develop that car, then your entitled to your advantage. As for Monaco being a drivers track, how does that explain Max never being on the podium in 5 attempts 4 of which in a top 2/3 car? Your theory would mean Max is a poor driver. I know for a fact he is one of the very best.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

User avatar
qatmix
0
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

Easily one of the more exciting qualifiers of the season so far.

Watching Leclerc, Sainz and Norris show their talent was a genuine buzz.

The grid should hopefully make today’s race more interesting than normal.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
561
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

ispano6 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:17 am
What's the penalty of someone impeding a fast lap during practice or quali? 5 grid spots? Seems like a driver who brings out a red flag that prevents a fast lap for others should be along those lines. Intentional or not, impeding the fast lap and bringing out the red flag needs a similar deterrent to prevent drivers from pushing to the point beyond reasonable means.
How about a rule banning people from demanding knee jerk rule changes because they think their favourite driver was disadvantaged? :wink:
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

User avatar
search
0
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

zibby43 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 8:49 pm
Sieper wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:48 pm
Verstappen was actually on a hotlap already under that time when the red flag came out.
Yeah, so was Bottas.
both were sth like a ~tenth quicker than their previous time, and had to make up more than 0.2s to beat Leclerc, so it really is impossible to say how it would have unfolded. In the end, also Verstappen may have benefited from the red flag. We just don't know.

User avatar
El Scorchio
20
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

Just_a_fan wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 8:35 am
ispano6 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:17 am
What's the penalty of someone impeding a fast lap during practice or quali? 5 grid spots? Seems like a driver who brings out a red flag that prevents a fast lap for others should be along those lines. Intentional or not, impeding the fast lap and bringing out the red flag needs a similar deterrent to prevent drivers from pushing to the point beyond reasonable means.
How about a rule banning people from demanding knee jerk rule changes because they think their favourite driver was disadvantaged? :wink:
This has happened on here every race weekend barring one so far this year.

Bahrain- track limits
Imola- suddenly it’s not fair you can unlap under a safety car/red flag
Portugal- track limits, but the opposite way to Bahrain
Monaco- suddenly people should be penalised or qualifying should be changed for red flags

It’s getting a bit embarrassing.

User avatar
El Scorchio
20
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:44 am
nevill3 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:22 am
Thanks for the clarification, after a bit of digging I had found the rule about no mandatory pit stop during vsc and came back here to post, but you beat me to it.
Yes. Formula One can definitely consider adding a rule about no pitstops for tyre changes under VSC IMO.

No pitstops under regular SC however, is somewhat counterproductive as everyone just pits as soon as possible, as the risk of getting trapped behind the safety car without having done your pitstop is far too high.
I do like the way being allowed to do that opens the door for more strategy options though. However VSC seems somewhat of a rarity in F1 anyway. They love the drama of a full safety car...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
561
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

El Scorchio wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:20 am
JordanMugen wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:44 am
nevill3 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:22 am
Thanks for the clarification, after a bit of digging I had found the rule about no mandatory pit stop during vsc and came back here to post, but you beat me to it.
Yes. Formula One can definitely consider adding a rule about no pitstops for tyre changes under VSC IMO.

No pitstops under regular SC however, is somewhat counterproductive as everyone just pits as soon as possible, as the risk of getting trapped behind the safety car without having done your pitstop is far too high.
I do like the way being allowed to do that opens the door for more strategy options though. However VSC seems somewhat of a rarity in F1 anyway. They love the drama of a full safety car...
I like the slow zone concept. There's a shunt between T2 and T3? Slow zone from the marshals' point before T2 through to the marshals' point after T3. Pit lane speed limiter applies in the slow zone.

The slow zone still gives the ability to benefit from a slightly better pit stop loss although not as much as a full VSC/SC, of course. So there's still a strategy call option. Also prevents the silly situation of drivers complaining the SC is too slow and they're losing tyre temp.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

User avatar
MtthsMlw
996
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:38 pm
Location: Germany

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

Leclerc's gearbox is fine and he will start from pole.

dfegan358
dfegan358
-2
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 1:16 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

Leclerc 2-1 to win from pole on bet365. Il take a piece of that. Thank you

User avatar
El Scorchio
20
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

MtthsMlw wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:17 am
Leclerc's gearbox is fine and he will start from pole.
Fantastic news for the prospect of an exciting race. Would have been an enormous shame if he’d have had to take a new gearbox.

Mansell89
Mansell89
10
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

If Charles could keep Max behind it might create an opportunity for Bottas or Sainz ( if they get good starts of course) whilst they fight it out at the front.

I wonder what race pace will look like for Ferrari.

High chance of safety car too I guess?

User avatar
Wouter
91
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

El Scorchio wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:28 am
MtthsMlw wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:17 am
Leclerc's gearbox is fine and he will start from pole.
Fantastic news for the prospect of an exciting race. Would have been an enormous shame if he’d have had to take a new gearbox.
Exciting race in Monaco? 🚂..🚃..🚃..🚃..🚃..🚃 . :)
The Power of Honda!

User avatar
El Scorchio
20
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Post

Wouter wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:38 am
El Scorchio wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:28 am
MtthsMlw wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:17 am
Leclerc's gearbox is fine and he will start from pole.
Fantastic news for the prospect of an exciting race. Would have been an enormous shame if he’d have had to take a new gearbox.
Exciting race in Monaco? 🚂..🚃..🚃..🚃..🚃..🚃 . :)
Hahaha well I get your point, but to be fair there is always the opportunity for good drama at Monaco, even if there’s a lack of actual overtaking opportunities. It was still edge of the seat stuff in 2019.