2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JordanMugen

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

nevill3 wrote:
23 May 2021, 01:22
Thanks for the clarification, after a bit of digging I had found the rule about no mandatory pit stop during vsc and came back here to post, but you beat me to it.
Yes. Formula One can definitely consider adding a rule about no pitstops for tyre changes under VSC IMO.

No pitstops under regular SC however, is somewhat counterproductive as everyone just pits as soon as possible, as the risk of getting trapped behind the safety car without having done your pitstop is far too high.

JordanMugen

NathanOlder wrote:
22 May 2021, 23:00
quite right. Only 1 circuit on the calendar like this one, so not a bad thing to be slow here and fast everywhere else.
Tomorrow hopefully will be entertaining
Would it be feasible to add the Macau Grand Prix to Formula 1 (with an equally iffy Grade 1 status, just like Monaco)?

The circuit isn't all that different to Monaco, perhaps a touch tighter, and it would be a lot of fun indeed!

The Macau circuit seems quite reasonable for F1 really, no worse than Monaco. :D

NathanOlder

MKlaus wrote:
23 May 2021, 06:58
NathanOlder wrote:
22 May 2021, 23:00
PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 May 2021, 22:56

MKlaus, and Tizz (who joined to his defense), should be forgiven. They misunderstood the term tyre whisperer and the fact that it has little to do with heating up qualifying tyres in Monaco. Let them be. They're just in tizzy because HAM had a bad day. Understandable. Let them enjoy it. Start your rain dance.We race tomorrow.
quite right. Only 1 circuit on the calendar like this one, so not a bad thing to be slow here and fast everywhere else.
Tomorrow hopefully will be entertaining
that's the advantage of having a dominant car. despite mid field driver like performance on a driver's track, one can still win championship. what's the chances if perez showing a good move on lewis or his gearbox, although he just doesn't have it in him to be racy.
Yeah well if you help develop that car, then your entitled to your advantage. As for Monaco being a drivers track, how does that explain Max never being on the podium in 5 attempts 4 of which in a top 2/3 car? Your theory would mean Max is a poor driver. I know for a fact he is one of the very best.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

qatmix

Easily one of the more exciting qualifiers of the season so far.

Watching Leclerc, Sainz and Norris show their talent was a genuine buzz.

The grid should hopefully make today’s race more interesting than normal.

Just_a_fan

ispano6 wrote:
23 May 2021, 05:17
What's the penalty of someone impeding a fast lap during practice or quali? 5 grid spots? Seems like a driver who brings out a red flag that prevents a fast lap for others should be along those lines. Intentional or not, impeding the fast lap and bringing out the red flag needs a similar deterrent to prevent drivers from pushing to the point beyond reasonable means.
How about a rule banning people from demanding knee jerk rule changes because they think their favourite driver was disadvantaged? :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

search

zibby43 wrote:
22 May 2021, 21:49
Sieper wrote:
22 May 2021, 20:48
Verstappen was actually on a hotlap already under that time when the red flag came out.
Yeah, so was Bottas.
both were sth like a ~tenth quicker than their previous time, and had to make up more than 0.2s to beat Leclerc, so it really is impossible to say how it would have unfolded. In the end, also Verstappen may have benefited from the red flag. We just don't know.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2021, 09:35
ispano6 wrote:
23 May 2021, 05:17
What's the penalty of someone impeding a fast lap during practice or quali? 5 grid spots? Seems like a driver who brings out a red flag that prevents a fast lap for others should be along those lines. Intentional or not, impeding the fast lap and bringing out the red flag needs a similar deterrent to prevent drivers from pushing to the point beyond reasonable means.
How about a rule banning people from demanding knee jerk rule changes because they think their favourite driver was disadvantaged? :wink:
This has happened on here every race weekend barring one so far this year.

Bahrain- track limits
Imola- suddenly it’s not fair you can unlap under a safety car/red flag
Portugal- track limits, but the opposite way to Bahrain
Monaco- suddenly people should be penalised or qualifying should be changed for red flags

It’s getting a bit embarrassing.

El Scorchio

JordanMugen wrote:
23 May 2021, 07:44
nevill3 wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, after a bit of digging I had found the rule about no mandatory pit stop during vsc and came back here to post, but you beat me to it.
Yes. Formula One can definitely consider adding a rule about no pitstops for tyre changes under VSC IMO.

No pitstops under regular SC however, is somewhat counterproductive as everyone just pits as soon as possible, as the risk of getting trapped behind the safety car without having done your pitstop is far too high.
I do like the way being allowed to do that opens the door for more strategy options though. However VSC seems somewhat of a rarity in F1 anyway. They love the drama of a full safety car...

Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
23 May 2021, 10:20
JordanMugen wrote:
23 May 2021, 07:44
nevill3 wrote:

I do like the way being allowed to do that opens the door for more strategy options though. However VSC seems somewhat of a rarity in F1 anyway. They love the drama of a full safety car...
I like the slow zone concept. There's a shunt between T2 and T3? Slow zone from the marshals' point before T2 through to the marshals' point after T3. Pit lane speed limiter applies in the slow zone.

The slow zone still gives the ability to benefit from a slightly better pit stop loss although not as much as a full VSC/SC, of course. So there's still a strategy call option. Also prevents the silly situation of drivers complaining the SC is too slow and they're losing tyre temp.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

MtthsMlw

Leclerc's gearbox is fine and he will start from pole.

dfegan358

Leclerc 2-1 to win from pole on bet365. Il take a piece of that. Thank you

El Scorchio

MtthsMlw wrote:
23 May 2021, 12:17
Fantastic news for the prospect of an exciting race. Would have been an enormous shame if he’d have had to take a new gearbox.

Mansell89

If Charles could keep Max behind it might create an opportunity for Bottas or Sainz ( if they get good starts of course) whilst they fight it out at the front.

I wonder what race pace will look like for Ferrari.

High chance of safety car too I guess?

Wouter

El Scorchio wrote:
23 May 2021, 12:28
MtthsMlw wrote:
Fantastic news for the prospect of an exciting race. Would have been an enormous shame if he’d have had to take a new gearbox.
Exciting race in Monaco? 🚂..🚃..🚃..🚃..🚃..🚃 . :)
The Power of Dreams!

El Scorchio

Wouter wrote:
23 May 2021, 12:38
El Scorchio wrote:
23 May 2021, 12:28
MtthsMlw wrote:
Exciting race in Monaco? 🚂..🚃..🚃..🚃..🚃..🚃 . :)
Hahaha well I get your point, but to be fair there is always the opportunity for good drama at Monaco, even if there’s a lack of actual overtaking opportunities. It was still edge of the seat stuff in 2019.