2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Artur Craft wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:12
Can´t understand how Vettel got picked as the driver of the day, it surely must be Lewizita Hamiltin :lol:

Feel very gutted for Bottas, nobody deserves this despicable treatment. But I knew Mercedes would screw Valteri to gift the "GOAT" a position.

Really hope RB and Max become champions, if for anything, for not resorting to the kind of antics Mercedes does.
Yes. Mercedes denied themselves 18 WCC points on purpose...

What a ridiculous thing to say!

dans79

ispano6 wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:19
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2021, 09:35
ispano6 wrote:
23 May 2021, 05:17
What's the penalty of someone impeding a fast lap during practice or quali? 5 grid spots? Seems like a driver who brings out a red flag that prevents a fast lap for others should be along those lines. Intentional or not, impeding the fast lap and bringing out the red flag needs a similar deterrent to prevent drivers from pushing to the point beyond reasonable means.
How about a rule banning people from demanding knee jerk rule changes because they think their favourite driver was disadvantaged? :wink:
OH you mean enforcing track limits mid race and a new wing test?
Rules are rules, even if fans don't like them!
197 104 103 7

WaikeCU

Unf wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:21
Is there anything more lovely than crying radio messages from Hamilton? Definitely not!
And Bottas... problems on Mercedes always on the right side of the garage :D
- Max' frustration when he invalids laps or has to abort because of red flag?
- Kimi?

:roll:

Just_a_fan

proteus wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:10
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:51
Well that was as dull a F1 race as we have seen for some time. Even Brundle called it as such and he's usually effusive about Monaco being special.

Well done to Max taking the maximum advantage presented to him. Well done to Sainz giving the tifosi something to cheer about after the disappointment of Charles not starting. Brilliant by Norris to get a podium in the McLaren. Perez did his team proud after starting 9th on the grid. Aston Martin did a great job leap frogging Seb ahead of Gasly and Hamilton. Gasly did a solid job today. Hamilton had one of his rare off days, sweetened only a tiny bit by getting the fastest lap and a new lap record.
Well, to me all the overtakes on 1 mile straights are boring as well. Even if no particular overtaking took place today, atleast Monaco enabled more interesting development in overall standings and actually punishing Lewis for his bad performance yesterday, and putting Max back into the fight.
It's not the lack of overtaking as such. It's the lack of opportunity to overtake that makes Monaco pointless as a racing circuit. Look at Max and Lewis in 2019, for example. Max was decently quicker but just couldn't get past. That's just silly.

As for punishing a driver for a mistake in qualifying, fair enough, although I'd have thought it more interesting to see drivers fighting back from mistakes. But maybe that's just me.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

RZS10

proteus wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:17
MtthsMlw wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:14
https://i.imgur.com/Jae21Ca.png
Thats a well seized wheel nut over here. I am a bit surprised there is no torque limit for the wheel gun matching the core strenght of the wheel nut. They literally machined the nut into a door knob ornament.
I never really payed that close attention to the wheel changes, do they put on the wheel gun already spinning, or do they wait to be fully on the nut? I don't want to believe that you could do this without already having the gun at high revs.

zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:00
There's a word that sums up everything that's happened in the last few weeks. It's such a powerful and relatable word, the great philosopher Fernando Alonso said it best.

Bookmarking this post for sure hahaha

Just_a_fan

Artur Craft wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:12
Can´t understand how Vettel got picked as the driver of the day, it surely must be Lewizita Hamiltin :lol:

Feel very gutted for Bottas, nobody deserves this despicable treatment. But I knew Mercedes would screw Valteri to gift the "GOAT" a position.

Really hope RB and Max become champions, if for anything, for not resorting to the kind of antics Mercedes does.
You think Mercedes screwed Bottas's race today on purpose to try to help Hamilton? Wow, hatred of a driver makes some people come up with some strange conspiracy hypotheses.

Spacepace

MtthsMlw wrote:
What's the material of the outer & inner teeth of the wheel nut?

WaikeCU

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:26
proteus wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:51
Well that was as dull a F1 race as we have seen for some time. Even Brundle called it as such and he's usually effusive about Monaco being special.

Well done to Max taking the maximum advantage presented to him. Well done to Sainz giving the tifosi something to cheer about after the disappointment of Charles not starting. Brilliant by Norris to get a podium in the McLaren. Perez did his team proud after starting 9th on the grid. Aston Martin did a great job leap frogging Seb ahead of Gasly and Hamilton. Gasly did a solid job today. Hamilton had one of his rare off days, sweetened only a tiny bit by getting the fastest lap and a new lap record.
Well, to me all the overtakes on 1 mile straights are boring as well. Even if no particular overtaking took place today, atleast Monaco enabled more interesting development in overall standings and actually punishing Lewis for his bad performance yesterday, and putting Max back into the fight.
It's not the lack of overtaking as such. It's the lack of opportunity to overtake that makes Monaco pointless as a racing circuit. Look at Max and Lewis in 2019, for example. Max was decently quicker but just couldn't get past. That's just silly.

As for punishing a driver for a mistake in qualifying, fair enough, although I'd have thought it more interesting to see drivers fighting back from mistakes. But maybe that's just me.
It gets tiring to hear the comments about the lack of overtaking here at Monaco. 1992 Mansell was clearly faster than Senna, but even he couldn't get past Senna.

It's not really about overtaking around here. It's about running these speeds along this tight circuit for almost 2hrs of racing without binning it and being consistent every lap.

ringo

I didnt see the race from the start.

But some background on what went wrong on Hamilton's side that setup the championship as it is now.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/31 ... nd-prix

Seems the team took the wrong decision.

But the championship is set up really nicely now for Mercedes to fight.
They clearly havent been dominant as most want to imagine. It has been pretty much a team depending on setup and pit strategy from the get go. We see what can go wrong when they dont get the setup right. They dont stay ahead like they used to in the past.
For Sure!!

dans79

RZS10 wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:28
proteus wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:17
MtthsMlw wrote:
Thats a well seized wheel nut over here. I am a bit surprised there is no torque limit for the wheel gun matching the core strenght of the wheel nut. They literally machined the nut into a door knob ornament.
I never really payed that close attention to the wheel changes, do they put on the wheel gun already spinning, or do they wait to be fully on the nut? I don't want to believe that you could do this without already having the gun at high revs.
What seems odd to me, is that they said the nut machined the axle threads.

I would have expected the axle to be much harder than the material used to make the nuts internal threads.

If anything I would make wheel nuts bi-metal (assuming the rules allow it), a softer material for the internal threads, and a harder material for the exterior. That way the nut can't strip the axle, and the gun can't strip the nut.
197 104 103 7

Schuttelberg

Two poor races from Hamilton in five. It's fair to say that Verstappen is leading the championship in an inferior car. But, expect the narrative to remain that Mercedes is slower!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

El Scorchio

A lot of ugliness and childishness coming out on the forum today. Very sad to see.

Restomaniac

Spacepace wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:58
We need Monaco on the calendar for reasons as what it did to the championship today. It throws a wrench in things and makes things interesting. I get it that the race is not full of action but I always thoroughly enjoy qualifying. And the weekend is never short of drama
No we don’t it’s nothing but a snore fest. It’s the only race I don’t watch until the end because it sends me to sleep.

Just_a_fan

WaikeCU wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:26
proteus wrote:

It gets tiring to hear the comments about the lack of overtaking here at Monaco. 1992 Mansell was clearly faster than Senna, but even he couldn't get past Senna.

It's not really about overtaking around here. It's about running these speeds along this tight circuit for almost 2hrs of racing without binning it and being consistent every lap.
Then it's not a race and shouldn't be called one.

I've been consistent in my utterings on this for some time (before someone accuses me of being upset by today's result) that Monaco shouldn't be on the calendar, and if it is, it should be a non-championship event so that the hangers on can have a good time by the sea.