2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Midi

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Cant believe there is all this banter going on about what a driver can or cannot say about his team but that we miss the most important bit of information about the race: Kimi didn’t have his drink again during the race 😂

dans79

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
25 May 2021, 16:52
Good weekend:
- "we win and we lose together"
- no blame culture
- great team, so grateful

Bad weekend:
- poor, very poor performance from the team
- radio silence after the race
- no learnings for me personally but for the team definitely
You should probably watch the video i posted above...
197 104 103 7

JPower

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
Good weekend:
- no blame culture

Bad weekend:

Talk is cheap. Take a page out of George Russell's book from Bahrain 2020 on how to "graciously" handle a complete Merc cock-up.
Take a page from George Russell when we saw him go ballistic at Imola in a way we've never seen from Lewis. :lol:

He had nothing riding of significance riding on Sahkir and was in no place of leadership to put any expectation on the team. How do you blatantly misread the power dynamics at play here? You people are jokes.

wesley123

RZS10 wrote:
25 May 2021, 15:13
It's amusing that a driver complaining on radio without even swearing, answering a few questions brusquely and openly but mildly criticizing his team is being seen as a "meltdown" , "throwing a tantrum" or "bad mouthing his team" ... what?
What makes it even more amusing is that no one seems to have minded the absolute tantrum Verstappen threw the day before.

A lot of what happened in the weekend is hindsight. Hamiltons side of the garage opted against the setup change, whereas Bottas did, and it turned out that this setup change would have been the right one. After that it was just damage control.

Hamiltons comments in the race were entirely valid; They got jumped by 2 cars, and didn't manage to jump a car that is easily a second a lap slower, in a race where the day before they said they'd have to make up places with the pitstops.

Hamilton as a driver didn't do a thing wrong all weekend, but as a team they really messed things up.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

RZS10

Well i don't mind when drivers express their opinions or feelings, even if it's done in expletives - doesn't matter which one, at least it shows they're not corporate robots.
I would have probably sounded the same in Max' position so w/e ...

Schuttelberg

dans79 wrote:
25 May 2021, 15:15
Schuttelberg wrote:
25 May 2021, 15:05
You win and lose as a team. Grow up!
You also need to apportion blame when appropriate, because if you don't people don't learn anything.

That's why in a lot of organizations determining root cause is very important, they need to determine what the problem was, if it was caused by an individual, and what needs to be done to fix it!
Absolutely. But in private.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

El Scorchio

RZS10 wrote:
25 May 2021, 17:56
Well i don't mind when drivers express their opinions or feelings, even if it's done in expletives - doesn't matter which one, at least it shows they're not corporate robots.
I would have probably sounded the same in Max' position so w/e ...
Agree.

It's just a shame that when one does it, it's 'passion and desire' and when the other does, it's 'ungrateful whinging' when it's really the same kind of stuff, all said in the heat of the moment, and they all act similar when things don't go well.
Different rules at play for different drivers, in some people's minds.

Sieper

What to me is weird is the following, Hamilton is jumped by Gasly and Vettel. By the way, Imho nothing Mercedes could do about that. Alpha tauri would have kept Gasly out until Lewis disappeared behind him whatever happened. Zero change of an overcut, and the undercut is easily defended here, especially now that DAS is gone. The outlap on cold hards faster then the inlap on warm softs? Very tough to make happen. So Lewis would remain stuck, and did.

But at that moment he is still sounding relatively good spirited “guys what happened, answered it right away himself, I got jumped”. I don’t know why he would think that wouldn’t happen but ok. But, then his engineer comes on the radio to tell about Perez and he sounded almost scared to say, “I am afraid” “sorry” and then Lewis got a bit pissed off.

What if the race engineer just relays the message, without all that, oh we are so sorry. Lewis would just accept the fact. Perhaps Bono just needs to “inform” rather then “excuse”. Shorter is better, no unneeded negative emotions.

Hoffman900

We also have to understand that having access to all of this is pretty new.

Can you imagine Mansell, Senna, Piquet, etc all mic’ed up like this?

It’s kind of like dash cams, just because we can see it now, doesn’t mean it was any less and possibly more crazy in the past.

RZS10

I'd say that after all those years they know how to talk to each other and how much they can say on the radio and/or publically - should a driver overstep the team would probably peg him back a bit in the debrief.

Mogster

Hoffman900 wrote:
25 May 2021, 18:38

It’s kind of like dash cams, just because we can see it now, doesn’t mean it was any less and possibly more crazy in the past.
During the recent BBC Williams documentary Frank Dernie said Mansell was a nightmare to manage during races and would talk and talk on the radio. At times Dernie would become so frustrated he’d yell “just drive the F*****G car” and then throw his headset down.

nzjrs

Hoffman900 wrote:
25 May 2021, 18:38

Exactly yeah. Also it seems like FOM picks a whipping boy every weekend or so to --- on.

Pick someone who was in the news for the week and aim to reinforce a preexisting narrative. Measure fan engagement (arguing online), increase the value of the company. We are the fools here really.

Sieper

Yes. But I hope we all knew that.

PlatinumZealot

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
Good weekend:
- no blame culture

Bad weekend:

Talk is cheap. Take a page out of George Russell's book from Bahrain 2020 on how to "graciously" handle a complete Merc cock-up.
Not many bad weekends when you have 98 wins is it?! :wink:
Mathematically those bad days are not of a quantity to be of any significance, and thus your claim would be considered nebulous. :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

nzjrs

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
Good weekend:
- no blame culture

Bad weekend:

Yeah, Hamilton has always been a fickle emotional type. He's had a handle on it recently (current location has the best fans, we've just got to go back to the factory and work hard, etc etc), with all the winning its been easy for him, but it's always there under the surface.

Hopefully it's an interesting season at the front for once. It's been a long time since the Rosberg years.