Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
elFranZ

Re: Ferrari F138

Forza wrote:Australian GP - Thursday - 14/3/2013
http://i.imgur.com/eoHxT7c.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iXBky9m.jpg
looks like they got rid of the stiffening bar over the engine...

muelte
muelte

nhojekim wrote:Also, they changed their engine cover. Now it's longer almost reaching the beam wing, unlike what we saw in testing.
True. Bodywork at the rear end looks quite different.

Here we can see the different engine cover solutions used so far:

1. Initial version

2. With a cut under the shark fin:

3. With the latest exhausts (gearbox openings gone)

4. Australia:

Doesn't it looks like now there is something missing under the upper suspension arm? That zone was more 'closed' before
Last edited by muelte on 14 Mar 2013, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.

muelte
muelte

Consider&Go wrote:
muelte wrote:Seems they are using the new RW introduced at last test days, but the front wing is not the last one (the 7 planes one with simplified endplates) but the original one with the strakes on the nose sides, am I right?

Also, there seems to be some black tape covering something at the end of the cooling exits behind the exhausts... Looks a bit weird to me, at leasts I didn't notice it before.
No, all the photos depict the old front wing. There haven't been any photos of the new one as of yet. I hope they aren't reverting back to the old one.
That's what I meant: only old front wing in the pictures.

CBeck113
CBeck113

They have widened up the engine cover before it drops down past the gearbox, making that area look like its missing something - space. You can even see a bulge above the upper suspension arm.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

scuderiaF2012
scuderiaF2012

CBeck113 wrote:They have widened up the engine cover before it drops down past the gearbox, making that area look like its missing something - space. You can even see a bulge above the upper suspension arm.
maybe they've done this to cope better with cooling...to me the "previous" engine cover was TOO aggressive and too tight...hence probably the cooling issues they had...

hopefully with the much looser cover wont' hurt us too much, performance wise

Sevach
Sevach

This new cover definitely lets more air out through the middle, it expands the middle cut into a larger exit and an extra gearbox hole.

turbof1

The new exhaust bulges do seem like an improvement. It allows to accelerate the air underneath the bulge, and to better direct it. Also very smart placement of the suspension arms.
#AeroFrodo

amouzouris

Finally, here is my report on the Ferrari upgrades of winter testing:
Ferrari was one of the first teams to introduce their major upgrade. On the second day of the second test in Barcelona, once the rain had stopped we saw part of the upgrade package, as some more parts were tested in the last day of the test and the rest of the parts will be tested tomorrow Friday 15/03/2013 during free practice of the Australian GP.

While the concept did not change, the new sidepods now bend down more. As a result the coanda ramp is now lower to better aim the exhaust plume towards the diffuser’s edge.

New Sidepods

Old Sidepods

As well as a changed coanda ramp, the cooling outlets have changed. In the following drawings I have moved the suspension and rear wing so that you can see what has changed more easily.

New Cooling Outlets

Old Cooling Outlets

The new version sports wider cooling outlets just behind the exhaust and coanda ramp while in the older version they were slimmer. However, in the original version which is very similar to the one present on the F2012, there was a second cooling outlet further back which also featured two cut-outs on each side. The second cooling outlet has now been removed, thus the need for the wider outlets behind the exhaust.

The new front wing was briefly seen on the second day of testing and brought back for the last day.

This new front wing adds yet another element on its outer tips, together with new cascade wings, endplates and the adjustable upper element.

New Front Wing

Old Front Wing

The new element on the outer tips, allows the wing to curve outwards at a larger angle to create more downforce and direct a larger portion of the airflow around the wheels.

The new endplate is covering up a portion of the open area that allowed airflow flowing over the top of the wing to flow to the outside. This will create more downforce. As well as the new endplate, the footplate now features a slot which is an innovation by Ferrari it is the first time seen on a car, ever.

New FWEP

Old FWEP

The new cascade element is no longer divided into two different parts, instead it is one winglet only much wider than before. The fence that divided the two cascade elements on the older version has now become a vertical fence which will induce a stronger vortex in the attempt two direct the airflow around the front wheels as efficiently as possible.

At the top of the endplate a smaller winglet has been added, similar to the one used by Red Bull.

The inner adjustable element of the wing has been revised, with its inner extremities now taller than before.

Moving slightly upwards, we will find the new strake running along the sides of the nose that was first introduced in the last day of the first Barcelona test but was slightly revised in the second one. The strakes are there for legality purposes, so they were tested before Melbourne.

On the last day of testing, the team tested more new parts. On of which was the new rear wing. The wing now features smaller v-cutouts on the top of the upper element. In addition, the endplate has been revised and the gills are now slightly smaller than before. Those gills bleed the high pressure air from the inside of the wing to the outside, reducing drag by weakening the strength of the vortex shed at the wing tips.

The last new part tested was a new diffuser which still features the airfoil shaped gurney flap on top of the diffuser’s trailing edge, but it now curves downwards instead of stopping at the edges. Also, the diffuser no longer dips down where the two main vertical strakes are located.

http://technicalf1explained.blogspot.co ... eport.html
It is too long I know! Blame Ferrari :D

CBeck113
CBeck113

Ummmm....http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 012-02.jpg

I think that they tricked us :o - the engine cover is from the F2012. Fitting, since the nose is also not race version for this year.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Vanja #66

It's the same concept, but not the same cover... And what's that about the nose?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

The new BCN FW being used. Also cooling hole opened by exhaust.

Forza

F1 Australian GP - Friday - 15/3/2013

Flow Vis test on Front left brakeduct Image

StrikeForceF1
StrikeForceF1

Is there any pics from Free Practice of the Ferrari rear end in particular behind rear wing from top angle.....I am curious to see if they are running tunnels over the top center of the diffuser similar to Redbull as they had run in the second barca test?

stefan_
stefan_

via Craig Scarborough
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

kebab
kebab

stefan_ wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFYosDxCEAAXYsq.jpg:large
via Craig Scarborough
What are all the cables there for... :shock: