Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CHT
CHT

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

the surface material around the exhaust outlet look like bare CF to me. Is it strong enough to withstand the heat?
http://i.imgur.com/68l2m6E.jpg

Forza

The carbon fibre composite material in this area can be protected with thermal surface coating (like Zirotec) to prevent delamination and resin melt Thermal barrier coatings in Motorsport & more details about Ceramic coating technology.
Last edited by Forza on 04 Feb 2013, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.

Spacepace

The sidepods kind of remind me of the C32 in how they pulled in the outer part of the sidepod. I wonder if this will be a trend this year to try and get the air under the tunnel more efficiently instead of having to take a wider path around the sidepod. That way there will be less of an issue trying to get the airflow to stay attached to the sidepod if it has no where to go but under the ramp.

donskar
donskar

Juzh wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:I get the feeling that the RedBull might be running out of development potential with this series of car (RB6-9) compared to others - albeit because they started ahead and the others have been catching up a lot of the time. Will be interesting to watch.
Exactly my thoughts. I bet you any money RB9 will be slower in melbourne than RB8 was in usa/brazil.
I am a Ferrai fan and have been for almost half a century. But if you intend to bet against Newey I suggest you looking into a second job -- you'll need the money
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

timbo
timbo

donskar wrote:I am a Ferrai fan and have been for almost half a century. But if you intend to bet against Newey I suggest you looking into a second job -- you'll need the money
But it's not like he never was outdesigned.
I don't expect this car to be a flop, but the question remains would he be able to find something to gain enough pace over his rivals to make that another runaway season? If not and we'd see a level playing field on top, it would be team against team, driver vs driver, an exciting prospect, ain't it?

SiLo

So much open floor space compared to other cars, would love to see an internal packaging comparison!
Felipe Baby!

Shakeman

SiLo wrote:So much open floor space compared to other cars, would love to see an internal packaging comparison!
The other teams are packaging a full size KERS which must account for some of the difference.

Is it open floor space? The tunnel can hardly be described as open floor space and must account for a significant amount of drag.

Given that Newey and his team are no fools they obviously see any penalty of extra drag offset by whatever performance they are seeking. So, what is that performance and what are they trying to do that the Macca variant exhaust cars aren't doing?

Why do they need a second floor? Presumably internally there's ducting that points the air to a specific spot that can't be achieved without the floor? Is that the case?

For me this is the most interesting question given how similar the cars are getting.

Nando
Nando

Does the tunnel really create that much drag though? Maybe it´s so optimized that it sucks in air instead of just taking in air?
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Shakeman

Nando wrote:Does the tunnel really create that much drag though? Maybe it´s so optimized that it sucks in air instead of just taking in air?
If the tunnel/second floor wasn't there what would the difference in drag be? Less drag surely? (I'm not an aerodynamicist and I'm not trying to be obtuse just trying to understand the difference in concepts)

There must be some performance they're going after that has a positive affect on lap time if the additional drag of the tunnel is offset.

blokkie
blokkie

the EDGE wrote:
KATO wrote:
Mestrades wrote:
What is the function of this hole?

I think that the exhausts are a bit further away than in previous versions. Perhaps it's only an imagination...
It reconnects the air flow at the step to make the loss of air pressure minimal. Now I'm no an Aeronautic Engineer or an Aerodynamics expert. 8) so my simple and I'm not even gona try to sound technical never do I like posting nonsense in Forums. Anyways my guess is

BOTH Sauber and RedBull have placed relatively smaller 'vanity panels' on their stepped noses so they both have less weight by comparison to McLaren and Ferrari. Both have the the solution that takes air from Under the car and reconnects the loss of pressure at the Step so effectively with the cover and Sauber solution, it simply makes sense to me that less weight and that hole at the bottom of the nose should equal at the very least just as smooth an Air flow as the Ferrari and McLaren. If not maybe some small added downforce..... Now who doesn't welcome a tiny bit more downforce 8) ..

surely the low CofG of pull-rood is of more benefit then saving a tiny amount of weight and having a tiny (if any) amount of extra downforce (personally i'd say it reduced lift rather then produced down-force)
Airflow connection has nothing to do with it ...
Weight has nothing to do with it ....

It's to suck the air from below the car away.

The slot on top of the nose has a connection tube going to the underside.
If speed increases and downforce increases during straight line speed for example , the exess-ammount of air that normally get's pressed against the ground is sucked away from beneeth the care via this "tube"/slot .

munudeges
munudeges

timbo wrote:But it's not like he never was outdesigned.
Let's face it, it's been very rare and on the occasions when his cars have been outpaced it's generally because he hasn't ultimately been in charge and has been held back.

Still, I expect this season to be much closer, especially if McLaren have learnt their lessons. Red Bull aren't going to get away with tinkering with their exhaust system for half a season.

Jackles-UK

As far as I was aware overcoming the drag aspect was a key performance goal to get the tunnel working properly (DF came hand-in-hand with the drag reduction in the end). If they had a problem with one the other followed: air not flowing efficiently through the tunnels gets stalled inconsistently resulting in both, what was essentially, a parachute and the dramatic on again/off again rear DF levels that Seb hated.

They had to create a low pressure zone near the back of the tunnel to suck through the air causing a disturbance in the early part of the season and accomplished that (I think) with the addition of the secondary small tunnel and the little strakes beneath the hot air exit creating a kind of mini diffuser. This in-turn fed the floor/starter hole/centre of the main diffuser with the fast sidepod air allowing for greater all round efficiency across the rear of the car. Unless the RB9 sidepods wildly different to the RB8 ones I can't see too much of a headache getting it right again this year.

stefan_
stefan_

Jerez day 1
Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

stefan_
stefan_

Jerez day 1
F1 Fanatic

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperf1
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

Jerez day 1

PSP(flow vis) on the RW