Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f300v10
f300v10

Re: Ferrari F138

shelly wrote:About tyre marbels buildup: Interesting to compare with this shot
And this one, also from winter testing:

amouzouris

henra wrote:
shelly wrote:In my opinion by removing the endplates they have the vortex starting lower (some 50mm lower?) and thus they have more downwash effect on the gap between rear wheel and footplate. So in my opinon they are looking at some extra downforce by making coanda exhausts work better
I doubt it. If you would want to increase the footplate vortex you would probably rather remove the winglets on the lower elements completely and would leave them on on the upper ones. Also I think it would be to high and could even be detrimental to the footplate vortex.
I could imgaine it is rather because of the proximity of the Rear Wing Endplates. The small 'channel' between the Brake Duct Winglets and the Rear Wing Endplate could cause some problems in the interaction with the Rear Wing Endplate and its design that aims at supporting the extraction from the diffuser due to the pressure gradient (higher pressure) towards the Rear Wing endplate.
Fast vortices behind the Brake Duct wing elements could be intended to reduce static pressure on the outsíde of the Rear Wing Endplate and could thus be helpful in the expansion work behind the Rear Wing.
Just speculation though.
Good Luck with any CFD attempts. I doubt this can be easily modeled because it is probably highly turbulent.
believe it or not the hardest part is not modeling it... it is waiting a couple of days for the simulation to finish... :D

amouzouris

Nomore wrote:
that could be it as well! I think I have a long week of modelling and CFD testing ahead...I know this might not be so interesting for most people but I find it extremely interesting..!
You work for a team ?[/quote]
I wish! :D it is too early

Hail22

Expect very small updates for Bahrain I would probably look to the front brake ducts and rear brake hubs I may be wrong though :)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

One
One

f300v10 wrote:This photo really shows the effect of the coanda exhaust. The exhaust flow appears to form a 'virtual wall' where it touches the floor, to the extent that tire 'clag' has built up into a u-shape where the flow meets the floor. The freestream air is diverted inward into the sidepod undercut area and into the gap between the floor and tire.

http://s22.postimg.org/vfwhrc6hd/Alonso ... uildup.png
Rubber should be marble tho, perhaps collected at the last lap run.

F1.Ru

Ferrari F138 - revised front wing
ImageImage

Another update (lower drawing) in China for the new layout of the F138's front wing. There are now two horizontal slots on the outside of the endplate (lower drawing) instead of the previous one. Also gone is the vertical slot (2), while the upper flap has been revised with a different longitudinal fin (3). The updated wing was accompanied in Shanghai by new, more sophisticated turning vanes under the chassis.
© Formula1.com
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

RicerDude

Did anyone see the big chunk of carbon fibre taken out of Fernando Alonso's front wing top element after the race? Could this have been caused by a piece of rubber?

beelsebob
beelsebob

RicerDude wrote:Did anyone see the big chunk of carbon fibre taken out of Fernando Alonso's front wing top element after the race? Could this have been caused by a piece of rubber?
http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 675941.jpg
It could actually just be a lump of rubber stuck to the front. Do you have it from any other angle?

performergr
performergr

*open it in new tab

performergr
performergr

info to open pic in hi-res from f1.com

1)open the album
2)press the scroll wheel of your mouse to open image in new tab(only at firefox)
3)on adress bar delete from original link "/597x478"
4)press enter

:D :D :D

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

The FW was definitely broke, I'm just not sure exactly when it broke during the race but it was definitely broke on the last lap at least. In the pic below you can tell it's not a lump of rubber and that it's a break.

via Sutton Images

infy
infy

Ferrari have some how made Alonso so light, that he's hovering.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

It seems the F138 took a bit of a beating in China. We've established the FW upper element was broken at some point in the race. In the picture below you can see that above the front upper wishbone there is a hole just before where the nose connects to the chassis. The hole was there as Fer crossed the finish line, just not sure how long before. Very high res image, right click>view image

via F1-Direct

Jackles-UK

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The FW was definitely broke, I'm just not sure exactly when it broke during the race but it was definitely broke on the last lap at least. In the pic below you can tell it's not a lump of rubber and that it's a break.
In fact the entire element there looks a bit worse-for-wear! Is it safe to assume that the only thing realistically that could have enough velocity to have done the damage is a sizeable chunk of his own front tyre? He was out front/in clean air for the majority of the race and free-standing marbles surely couldn't have had the energy to splinter it like that (although admittedly the black streaks below obviously indicate the presence of them in that area)? I'm all for tyre deg making the racing closer and more exciting but when they start destroying bit of the cars (Hamilton in MAL, Alonso this week) of their own accord I think it's time for Pirelli to take a look at things!

The pic above also shows the melted tyre-marble mess formed around the exhaust plume. Does anyone know if that area of the floor is treated specifically with any kind of additional heat treatment from the rest of the floor to stop it from becoming weakened by the heat? I presume the entire floor wouldn't be heat sealed due to weight/cost issues but there must be some serious temperatures going on down there!

Mr.G

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:... In the picture below you can see that above the front upper wishbone there is a hole just before where the nose connects to the chassis. ...http://www.f1-direct.net/2013/img/chine/105.jpg
That's not a hole, its pealed off sticker. There was one hi-res picture and around the wishbones are stickers and this one is pealed off and the white is the back of it.

EDIT - look at this picture http://i.imgur.com/LcByQn7.jpg if you look closely you will spot some red circular stickers on the hub. Few of them are to the left of the Santander log, some of them are direcly under the Santander logo, and so and so.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts