Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Ferrari F138

Bahrain 2013 - Thyudsday (18.04.2013)

Last edited by stefan_ on 18 Apr 2013, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

turbof1

Jackles-UK wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The FW was definitely broke, I'm just not sure exactly when it broke during the race but it was definitely broke on the last lap at least. In the pic below you can tell it's not a lump of rubber and that it's a break.
In fact the entire element there looks a bit worse-for-wear! Is it safe to assume that the only thing realistically that could have enough velocity to have done the damage is a sizeable chunk of his own front tyre? He was out front/in clean air for the majority of the race and free-standing marbles surely couldn't have had the energy to splinter it like that (although admittedly the black streaks below obviously indicate the presence of them in that area)? I'm all for tyre deg making the racing closer and more exciting but when they start destroying bit of the cars (Hamilton in MAL, Alonso this week) of their own accord I think it's time for Pirelli to take a look at things!

The pic above also shows the melted tyre-marble mess formed around the exhaust plume. Does anyone know if that area of the floor is treated specifically with any kind of additional heat treatment from the rest of the floor to stop it from becoming weakened by the heat? I presume the entire floor wouldn't be heat sealed due to weight/cost issues but there must be some serious temperatures going on down there!
I think it's just a marble from a car that got doubled by alonso, that shot through the flap. If they get shot away by pressure between the tarmac and the rear tyre, they act like rubber bullets.
#AeroFrodo

Redragon

turbof1 wrote:
Jackles-UK wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:The FW was definitely broke, I'm just not sure exactly when it broke during the race but it was definitely broke on the last lap at least. In the pic below you can tell it's not a lump of rubber and that it's a break.
In fact the entire element there looks a bit worse-for-wear! Is it safe to assume that the only thing realistically that could have enough velocity to have done the damage is a sizeable chunk of his own front tyre? He was out front/in clean air for the majority of the race and free-standing marbles surely couldn't have had the energy to splinter it like that (although admittedly the black streaks below obviously indicate the presence of them in that area)? I'm all for tyre deg making the racing closer and more exciting but when they start destroying bit of the cars (Hamilton in MAL, Alonso this week) of their own accord I think it's time for Pirelli to take a look at things!

The pic above also shows the melted tyre-marble mess formed around the exhaust plume. Does anyone know if that area of the floor is treated specifically with any kind of additional heat treatment from the rest of the floor to stop it from becoming weakened by the heat? I presume the entire floor wouldn't be heat sealed due to weight/cost issues but there must be some serious temperatures going on down there!
I think it's just a marble from a car that got doubled by alonso, that shot through the flap. If they get shot away by pressure between the tarmac and the rear tyre, they act like rubber bullets.
Out of thread theme but related to flying marbles. Hamilton on BBC interview before race was saying that a flying marble hit his hand during practice or qualifying, don't remember and the pain was so high that though that has broken his fingers.
BBC illustrated the image with the footage of the marble flying from the onboard hamilton's camera. Funny anecdote it was alonso car in front.

turbof1

On the hand? Ouch yes that has to be painful. Reasoning that the marbles trajectory was already bending downwards to get inside the cockpit in order to hit the hand, its speed must have been already quite dimished. At full speed it would not be impossible to break the hand. Drivers get them more often on the helmet, which fortunaly can take such blows with ease.
#AeroFrodo

joalma

Regards

Redragon

turbof1 wrote:On the hand? Ouch yes that has to be painful. Reasoning that the marbles trajectory was already bending downwards to get inside the cockpit in order to hit the hand, its speed must have been already quite dimished. At full speed it would not be impossible to break the hand. Drivers get them more often on the helmet, which fortunaly can take such blows with ease.

this is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSmhMCsx_d4
I don't know if it would be available for everyone because rights
2min 22 seconds into video

joalma

Regards and Forza Ferrari :)

turbof1

Impossible to see how it got to his hand. Not enough fps :D . Anyway, back on topic!
#AeroFrodo

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Gary Anderson analysis of the F138's China updates.

Via AutoSport

Edit: Fernando says there are new parts/updates for Bahrain, Spain & Monaco.
Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme on 18 Apr 2013, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.

stefan_
stefan_

Bahrain 2013 - Thursday (18.04.2013)

Photo via Pius Gassó
Last edited by stefan_ on 18 Apr 2013, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Redragon

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Gary Anderson analysis of the F138's China updates.

http://imageshack.us/a/img17/2125/imageeta.jpg
Via AutoSport

Edit: Fernando says there are new parts/updates for Bahrain, Spain & Monaco.
Marca was reporting big updates before Spain as Ferrari are happy with the car and now they want to accelerate the development

f300v10
f300v10

The position of the exhaust resonator and the mounting of the coanda ramp look new in the above image. Hard to say for sure as the angle of the photo is reversed.

From Sepang:

Consider&Go
Consider&Go

I think it's identical.

Also, reverting back to the engine cover used in Malaysia?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

f300v10
f300v10

Consider&Go wrote:I think it's identical.
Well its not identical, look at the top of the exhaust ramp. For Bahrain there is a bracket that ties the ramp to the exhaust header. In Sepang the ramp was not connected to the exhaust header.

Consider&Go
Consider&Go

f300v10 wrote:
Consider&Go wrote:I think it's identical.
Well its not identical, look at the top of the exhaust ramp. For Bahrain there is a bracket that ties the ramp to the exhaust header. In Sepang the ramp was not connected to the exhaust header.
Okay, fair enough. But I don't think it will be adding anything to the car performance wise. Probably just helping the structure of the exhaust system.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna