Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

You guys want to see Minardi again? Red is totally ok, but it has to be repositioned and applied to whole bounded areas, not just on parts. I'm pointing on rear wing endplates which were totally red, now they are only partly red though Total is the only sponsor on outer side of RW endplates. I'm pointing on front wing too. The top rib is red, the middle one is beige and then the main plain of the front wing is black. That is not good. I would either paint the top rib in beige or the middle one in red. Considering the fact that there are no sponsors on the ribs of the front wing, I would rather paint it beige. Area where is the driver's name doesn't have to be red. It can be either black or beige with for example black text.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

How about this?

Or this?

In this picture I've just painted the front wing.

P.S. Don't yell about my poor Photoshop skills.

P.P.S. You don't need Scarbs or anybody else to tell you obvious facts. Neither the launched car, neither the render is E21. Don't rely on Scarbs toughts. I agree the rendered pictures represent E21 more than the launched dummy, but there is still no E21 for public!!!
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Gridlock

I thought the red was insisted on by Total, I'm sure I remember reading something to that effect when the JPS 'don't mention tobacco' livery came back. It's wouldn't be the only thing they have significant influence on.

If true, it would appear Total has since rebranded to a swirly thing in multiple colours that no doubt expresses dynamicism blah blah, making the scarlet fever ironic.

stefan_
stefan_

I actually associated the red on the sidepods and airbox with Burn / Coca-Cola. I read that the Honeywell deal is quite far from being done, so you don't want to "suggest" a sponsor on the car that doesn't bring you money.

The R31 as it was presented looked pretty badass with the black and real gold stripes and sponsors but only when it was static, in movement wasn't so great. On top of that, you have to do what you have to do to make sure the sponsors have the exposure that they expect. Cream looks good too, but that red on the sidepods and airbox doesn't.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Rhodium

stefan_ wrote:... to make sure the sponsors have the exposure that they expect.

I agree with that.

but I find it outrageous, to disfigure a car, just to satisfy a sponsor.

when Ferrari integrated the white on his car, it was tastefully done, and the cars have not been disfigured.

in the case of the Lotus, the mixed black / red "stings the eyes."
(and this is nothing in comparison with the drivers suit!)

in my opinion, it looks like a Marussia ...

definitely, I was a fan of the color R31/E20.

Shakeman

The JPS colour scheme is indelibly printed on the minds eye of many F1 fans but for pseudo Lotus to further bastardise a pseudo JPS livery even further is a step too far.

One must question the reasoning if not ditching the black/gold to a more suitable scheme for their sponsors after all that's how the iconic liveries of old were created. It's a bit more difficult these days needing a portfolio of sponsors to survive unless you flog sugary caffeine of course.

Rhodium

I completely agree with you.

the law of money can't give way to good taste, and the aestheticism.
it's a shame, but it's true.

vm_
vm_

Unc1e_M0nty

JPS Lotus, Mallborough Mclaran & the the all red Ferrari are for me, the iconic images of F1.

As I kid i had the JPS on my Scalextric (and the Tyrrell 6 wheeler, lol).

The red pretty much ruins it for me, i'm going to need beer goggles just to watch it in race.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

2 points:

1. The livery has worked - it's got a lot of attention and has people talking about the car. Job done.

2. If you lot don't like it, then club together and buy those areas of the car from Lotus for, oh, $10m. No, thought not.

Sheesh, this is supposed to be a technical forum and you lot are moaning about the paintwork... :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Blackout

To add more confusion richard_leeds:
Why did they remove/hide these small cooling outlets of the sidepod (orange rectangles) - not only those belonging to the E20 disappeared but also the slits we saw in the E21 teaser :?: :mrgreen:

Lurk

Because it was cold at Enstone :mrgreen:

stefan_
stefan_

Those outlets in the teaser seem to be already built into the chassis, not like a panel that you add/remove when it's needed.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Rhodium

Just_a_fan wrote:
Sheesh, this is supposed to be a technical forum and you lot are moaning about the paintwork... :roll:

there are many other topics for the technical.

this topic is the E21 one.

if we can't discuss about this livery, on this topic, so where can we do ?

the exterior paint of F1 is a mirror for the "image" of the team.
with all the respect I owe you, it seems to me that this debate is relevant.

korzeniow
korzeniow

Cirebox in his cartoon also uses CGI renders for caricature rather than launch car:

There are additional air intakes on the roll hop for DRD and winglets on rear wing endplates
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013