Lotus E21 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Lotus E21 Renault

McG wrote:
Ral wrote:That seems plausible.

Do you guys think it's possible that's what's caused Raikkonen's brake failure today? He has been struggling to get front tyres up to temp and if they've closed the brake drums to help him with that, it might have been a bit too much?
Was thinking that myself. They say the lotus works better with with hotter tyre temperatures and Spa was a bit cold. Seems a bit amateur to try something like this. Surely they should have known they would be overcooking their brakes , even without this botch job, because of their grid position, being behind cars for a lot of the race. Reminds me of the type of rough upgrade that McLaren did with cutting chunks out of their rear floor.

Lotus are running out of ideas if this is the type of approach they are taking. But I guess Allison took all the new ideas with him. Lotus might struggle for the rest of the season, and in turn Raikkonen will leave.
What are you talking about exactly ? what did they close ? and what is amateurish ?

The new brake/wheel fairing is a big and a smart update IMO. Enstone cars have been running the same design for many years. So the new design is a big evolution. It adopts the 'scope-less' configuration of the Williams design, it keeps the strong points of the old design (part of the disc is naked so it can transmit some of the heat to the wheel rims) and they adopt some of the strong points of the modern brake covers (like the way they channel hot air outside the wheel in order to improve airflow).

stefan_
stefan_

Seems like the E21 is prepared to receive its longer wheelbase.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Holm86

stefan_ wrote:Seems like the E21 is prepared to receive its longer wheelbase.

http://www.f1times.co.uk/galleryimages/ ... 7D1986.jpg
What do you mean? Please elaborate.

stefan_
stefan_

Holm86 wrote:

As far as I remember, those areas the red arrows point at the whisbones were different as well for the space that is beside the pushrod (that I don't remember it existed). I presume that is prepared for the suspension modifications that will increase the wheelbase.

le: The parts surrounding the whisbones are more or less the same, but I couldn't find any good picture to look at the one beside the pushrod.
Last edited by stefan_ on 26 Aug 2013, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Holm86

stefan_ wrote:
Holm86 wrote:

As far as I remember, those areas the red arrows point at the whisbones were different as well for the space that is beside the pushrod (that I don't remember it existed). I presume that is prepared for the suspension modifications that will increase the wheelbase.

http://i.imgur.com/QXQ2rPq.jpg

I thought the long wheelbase needed a completly new chassis. Thougt they had to do some crashtests. Or was that just the nose? I know they talked about the elongation of the wheelbase being via forward sweeping of the wishbones.

stefan_
stefan_

Yes, they chose to modify the suspension. Seems like the covered bit beside the pullrod was there too before, so we'll have to see in Italy if it has anything to to with the LWB.

Holm86

Do we have any confirmation that it would be 10 cm?? Or was that some sort of translation error?? 10 cm seems alot IMO.

tony77g
tony77g

This photo is the GP of Germany, it was all the same

Blackout

I dont think they'll touch the chassis and the mounting points. They'll proceed like Mercedes in 2010. New wishbones + new Front wing vertical supports.

WillerZ

Blackout wrote:I dont think they'll touch the chassis and the mounting points. They'll proceed like Mercedes in 2010. New wishbones + new Front wing vertical supports.
They may not be able to do exactly that because, as your graphic says, the weight distribution will be affected. Since weight distribution is now limited in the rules they may need to move other internal parts. Possibly they can just move ballast forwards.

emmepi27
emmepi27

Lotus E21 long wheelbase will run with Raikkonen in Monza to check the simulator for 2014 :wink:
http://www.blogf1.it/2013/08/28/a-monza ... sso-lungo/

Holm86

WillerZ wrote:
Blackout wrote:I dont think they'll touch the chassis and the mounting points. They'll proceed like Mercedes in 2010. New wishbones + new Front wing vertical supports.
They may not be able to do exactly that because, as your graphic says, the weight distribution will be affected. Since weight distribution is now limited in the rules they may need to move other internal parts. Possibly they can just move ballast forwards.
I'm pretty sure weight distribution was only limited in Pirelli's debut season.

raymondu999

Still is till now.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

turbof1

Yes it is. In 2011 it was proclaimed to be one season only, but the FIA felt they had to make it permanent.
#AeroFrodo

Holm86

This is what the regulations says:
Weight distribution :
For 2012 and 2013 only, the weight applied on the front and rear wheels must not be less than 292kg and 343kg respectively at all times during the qualifying practice session.
If, when required for checking, a car is not already fitted with dry-weather tyres, it will be weighed on a set of dry-weather tyres selected by the FIA technical delegate.
This means 46% at front and 54% at rear. But it says minimum weight at front and rear. So the weight distribution is not fixed at 46/54.
Minimum weight :
The weight of the car, without fuel, must not be less than 642kg at all times during the Event.
292+343=635.
So there is at least 7kg of ballast to move as you want.