Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Ferrari F2012

hardingfv32 wrote:What would the team be adjusting with this setup? Are they just verifying that the splitter would pass the test if required?

Brian

[img]http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... 83.jpg[img]
Yeah that' what it looks like.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Chuckjr wrote: Indeed it is. Having half or 1/3rd the turns cuts time and the thicker threads would tend to be less susceptible to cross threading...Macca could learn something in this.
This seems like a well developed area for any type of racing that requires single nut wheel changes. We are talking about a number of decades and something the is very easy to model. I find it odd that baring the introduction of new materials, that there is much new in this area of the car.

I would put it down to a different mix of benefits verses risks.

Brian

elFranZ

Chuckjr wrote:
dren wrote:That was a good observation by Scarbs. Are the wheels homoligated at the start of the season? This looks like something the other teams would be able to easily jump on.
Indeed it is. Having half or 1/3rd the turns cuts time and the thicker threads would tend to be less susceptible to cross threading...Macca could learn something in this.

Well done Crucial--as always.
Elegant, and also a little funny; so simple a solution that nobody noticed yet. I associate to the thanks list for Crucial.

marcush.
marcush.

hardingfv32 wrote:
Chuckjr wrote: Indeed it is. Having half or 1/3rd the turns cuts time and the thicker threads would tend to be less susceptible to cross threading...Macca could learn something in this.
This seems like a well developed area for any type of racing that requires single nut wheel changes. We are talking about a number of decades and something the is very easy to model. I find it odd that baring the introduction of new materials, that there is much new in this area of the car.

I would put it down to a different mix of benefits verses risks.

Brian
as I understand you are obliged to have a nut securing the wheel .But who said it needs to be a thread? having less thread is putting more load on what is still there.
I think the wheel securing should be done differently ,the wheeel nut just providing a means of input but the clamping provided by a means of hydraulics .
also it is clear to see that a nut is not a failsafe means of attachment. time to do something better.

volarchico
volarchico

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Today in Bahrain
What's going on at the trailing edge of the DRS flap? I see the very obvious gurney, but what about all the other steps?

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Just as a side note: The Gurney on the flap adds around 20% extra downforce to the second element.

Brian

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

hardingfv32 wrote:Just as a side note: The Gurney on the flap adds around 20% extra downforce to the second element.

Brian
Do you have any source for that?

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Owen.C93 wrote:Do you have any source for that?
I remember that I was impressed by the number. I believe it is in this report:

GOFAST-1 Final Report

AER E 462: Design of Aerospace Systems

Professor: Dr. Steve Holland
Advisor: Dr. Dale Chimenti

Client: Mr. Matthew Orris, Lockheed Martin Corporation

4/17/2010

Mazdaboy

I think is new:

Every race ends when the chequered flag is out!

alogoc
alogoc

yes it is!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

hardingfv32 wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Do you have any source for that?
I remember that I was impressed by the number. I believe it is in this report:

GOFAST-1 Final Report

AER E 462: Design of Aerospace Systems

Professor: Dr. Steve Holland
Advisor: Dr. Dale Chimenti

Client: Mr. Matthew Orris, Lockheed Martin Corporation

4/17/2010
That was fascinating thankyou. One calculation showed a 20% increase in DF with 8% increase in drag which was pretty beneficial.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Owen.C93 wrote: One calculation showed a 20% increase in DF with 8% increase in drag which was pretty beneficial.
Note how the downforce numbers of the second element are almost equal to the drag number. Nothing efficient about the RW second elements at high AoA.

Brian

Kiril Varbanov

I love those little details http://www.formula1.com/wi/0x0/sutton/2 ... brn410.jpg - the pneumatic air.
@hardingfv32 - that's to measure the splitter deflection.

f1316
f1316

Chuckjr wrote:
dren wrote:That was a good observation by Scarbs. Are the wheels homoligated at the start of the season? This looks like something the other teams would be able to easily jump on.
Indeed it is. Having half or 1/3rd the turns cuts time and the thicker threads would tend to be less susceptible to cross threading...Macca could learn something in this.
James Allen reporting that their speed is also down to new jacks:

Here's a sensational stat from BBC Radio 5 live commentator James Allen. Ferrari are seven tenths of a second quicker than the next fastest team - which is McLaren - when it comes to doing pitstops. That's an incredible advantage. Allen puts it down to a couple of fancy new jacks. "The team have some work on the front and rear jacks," he said. "They are a work of art in themselves. The detailing that goes in the hydraulic rams is incredible."

And a bit more about the mid wing:

BBC F1 Technical Analyst Gary Anderson
"If you look at Fernando Alonso's car, he's got a mid wing mounted above the crash box. You're allowed 150mm of width there. What they're trying to do is get the flow of the upper wing to talk to flow of mid wing which talks to flow of the diffuser. It makes the diffuser work more efficently. They have one of those on Alonso's car but not on Massa's car so that's why they've got the flo-viz paint on both cars - to compare results."

amouzouris

new cascade wings?? they are much smaller where they meet the endplates:
Edit: they are not new..they've been like that since China

nice view of the starter motor hole and the space occupied by the acer ducts: