Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ema00
ema00

Re: Ferrari F2012

does it mean that the yesterday "new" configuration doesn't work? I hope not, it'll be another big fail

amouzouris

ema00 wrote:does it mean that the yesterday "new" configuration doesn't work? I hope not, it'll be another big fail
yesterday's configuration wasn't the real update...it wouldn't be legal...
it was just to test the effect the update will have...

ema00
ema00

amouzouris wrote:
ema00 wrote:does it mean that the yesterday "new" configuration doesn't work? I hope not, it'll be another big fail
yesterday's configuration wasn't the real update...it wouldn't be legal...
it was just to test the effect the update will have...
thank you :wink:

new photo:

nemoqueverto
nemoqueverto

I will not contenplate what was the time to prepare the update nor the effect of it. I just tell You what I see. From the pictures posted above I can see that today car configuration is tighter around the gearbox and a bit of engine cover. The bodywork ist more like a skin there. Yesterday Alonso had a car more focused towards the exhaust configuration - Massa tests today in the morning more traditional aproach but with more attention to detail. Tighter coke bottle shape is more effective isn't it? Well if both work well then we will see a combination of the two - I guess.
E=mc²

.poz
.poz

amouzouris wrote:yesterday's configuration wasn't the real update...it wouldn't be legal... it was just to test the effect the update will have...
why not ? I don't see much difference between Ferrari exhaust and previous Sauber one

I mean, we don't have a clear picture of Ferrari solution: if the exhaust exit point 10 degrees upward and the "tongue" is outside the cone defined by the point 5.8.4 of Technical Regulations is should be legal.

amouzouris

.poz wrote:
amouzouris wrote:yesterday's configuration wasn't the real update...it wouldn't be legal... it was just to test the effect the update will have...
why not ? I don't see much difference between Ferrari exhaust and previous Sauber one

http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... pr/192.jpg

I mean, we don't have a clear picture of Ferrari solution: if the exhaust exit point 10 degrees upward and the "tongue" is outside the cone defined by the point 5.8.4 of Technical Regulations is should be legal.
the 'tongue' is attached to the exhaust so it makes it part of it...and even if it is legal...yesterday's work was just patch up work.....u can't really expect ferrari to have such an incomplete upgrade...

motobaleno

.poz wrote:

The problem is that yesterday ferrari "tongue" was an integral part of the exhaust exit obtained simply bending down and cutting the tube and so I think that it was not legal but it is only a formal problem: it is rather easy to make legal such a solution if they want to use it on race

.poz
.poz

amouzouris wrote: the 'tongue' is attached to the exhaust so it makes it part of it...and even if it is legal...yesterday's work was just patch up work.....u can't really expect ferrari to have such an incomplete upgrade...
Bodywork(FIA official definition):
All entirely sprung parts of the car in contact with the external air stream, except cameras, camera housings and the parts definitely associated with the mechanical functioning of the engine, transmission and running gear. Airboxes, radiators and engine exhausts are considered to be part of the bodywork.

But i agree that was an experimental solution. BTW i read that Ferrari is using some sort of flexible junctions to be able to move exhaust exit for test and those junctions are illegal in a race

.poz
.poz

motobaleno wrote: The problem is that yesterday ferrari "tongue" was an integral part of the exhaust exit obtained simply bending down and cutting the tube and so I think that it was not legal but it is only a formal problem: it is rather easy to make legal such a solution if they want to use it on race
I agree. Let the tongue start 1 mm before the exit and it should be legal

Postmoe

.poz wrote:
motobaleno wrote: The problem is that yesterday ferrari "tongue" was an integral part of the exhaust exit obtained simply bending down and cutting the tube and so I think that it was not legal but it is only a formal problem: it is rather easy to make legal such a solution if they want to use it on race
I agree. Let the tongue start 1 mm before the exit and it should be legal

Yes, you went completely FIA here.

Curious way to regulate, though.

ParanoiD

looking at the bodywork around the exhaust exit. Could it be that they try to divert the airflow using air exiting from radiator (internal) instead?
Ay Carumba!

Mr.G

I think, what we saw yesterday was legal and look's like this (sorry I have only paintbrush in this PC). It's easy to mount (even diferent versions) and esasy to rotate around the exhaust pipe to change/find the right position.

Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Teechnical

Recent comments and pictures don't really predict that the new upgrades will bring a change to the car which will jump them up to the podium. Btw will the acer ducts still be present in the new exhaust upgrade? Or will we ditch them to go to a Mclaren or a Sauber style solution.
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

f300v10
f300v10

Teechnical wrote:Recent comments and pictures don't really predict that the new upgrades will bring a change to the car which will jump them up to the podium. Btw will the acer ducts still be present in the new exhaust upgrade? Or will we ditch them to go to a Mclaren or a Sauber style solution.
The latest rumor is Ferrari will run their new sidepod/exhaust setup tomorrow, supposedly without the much discussed Acer ducts.

Chuckjr

It seems Ferrari have no intent to go the Macca or Sauber way.
Watching F1 since 1986.