Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Ferrari F138

wesley123 wrote:Interresting to see how they are one of the very few teams not using anything at the leading edge of the sidepod to help with the downwash, I cannot really see how they dont need it, their sidepod is bending down by a ridiculous amount now, maybe they'll add it tomorrow or the last day?
Probably they do not need a similar soulton to other teams because they have front pullrod
twitter: @armchair_aero

cemax
cemax

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Re:

That would be the pull rod, the angles are making it look like it is entering the sidepod horizontally but it is actually going towards the floor

cemax
cemax

the link is broken, have eliminated Article

bhall
bhall

Here's an interesting development.

Why would you partially close off the sidepod inlet like that? At high enough airspeed, the inlet will choke and cease to allow additional airflow into the sidepods.

With an auxiliary source of cooling flow somewhere, oh, I don't know...

...that would be an excellent way to reduce drag at speed.

jaba.hut

I just see flo viz inside of side pods. No closing of inlet. Maybe I am wrong.

cemax
cemax

This is the image of before and yes, it seems the suspension
[URL=http://www.subirimagenes.com/otros ... .jpg[/img][/url]

Forza

bhallg2kv@ it's hard to tell from that picture and you could be looking at radiator diffuser sidewall. To lower the drag you can also improve the core's cooling efficiency. Usually you won't to stabilize the turbulent flow before it reaches the core as it can reduce the cooling.

Here is the picture from 2nd test for comparison

Last edited by Forza on 02 Mar 2013, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Test 3, Session 2) - Day 3 (02.03.2013)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

bhall
bhall

jaba.hut wrote:I just see flo viz inside of side pods. No closing of inlet. Maybe I am wrong.
Compare the previous imagine to this, especially the inner-most black bodywork (not the apparent veils). The new black bodywork is more contoured and extends further outward into the sidepod cavity.
bhallg2k wrote:[...]
(Right click to enlarge)

[...]
Now visualize the darkened areas below as the cavity within the sidepods.

Notice the combined size of the inlets (blue) and exits (yellow) are roughly the same. That means the internal aerodynamics are the same as far as pressure goes. But, because the inlet is now smaller, its external aerodynamic impact is also smaller.

Again, this only works with an auxiliary cooling source. Something like...

Forza wrote:[...]
Usually you won't to stabilize the turbulent flow before it reaches the core as it can reduce the cooling.
[...]
I don't know if really mean won't or want so I'll just say, point blank, turbulent flow is generally much better for heat transfer.
Last edited by bhall on 02 Mar 2013, 14:33, edited 3 times in total.

Diosfenix
Diosfenix

stefan_
stefan_

Barcelona (Test 3, Session 2) - Day 3 (02.03.2013)

via Andrew Benson/Gary Anderson

High resolution: Front | Back/exhaust |
Last edited by stefan_ on 02 Mar 2013, 15:12, edited 3 times in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

[/quote]

Now visualize the darkened areas below as the cavity within the sidepods.

http://i.imgur.com/YqezRRt.jpg

Notice the combined size of the inlets (blue) and exits (yellow) are roughly the same. That means the internal aerodynamics are the same as far as pressure goes. But, because the inlet is now smaller, its external aerodynamic impact is also smaller.
[/quote]

Isn't the sidepods larger?

Forza

bhall2k wrote:
Usually you won't stabilize the turbulent flow before it reaches the core as it can reduce the cooling.
[...]
I don't know if really mean won't or want so I'll just say, point blank, turbulent flow is generally much better for heat transfer.
Yeah poorly written sentence there. I wanted to point out that it's a trade off between cooling efficiency and drag. The diffuser geometry controls the velocity of the air flow and aims to prevent the separation. Ideally you would create turbulation at the core surface to enhance thermal transfer. The cooling core efficiency itself depends on three parameters; core pressure drop coefficient, velocity ratio and drag coefficient of the core.

BCN T03 Day 3

bhall
bhall

While that's true, we've seen both inserts...
Pay no mind to the arrow; it's not mine.

...and veils shielding the radiators from direct flow.
bhallg2k wrote:[...]
(Right click to enlarge)

[...]
The only topless picture I've seen around here is this one. But, given everything, it doesn't appear the team are very concerned with direct flow onto the radiators.

Now, I have no idea what any of this...
forza wrote:I wanted to point out that it's a trade off between cooling efficiency and drag. The diffuser geometry controls the velocity of the air flow and aims to prevent the separation. Ideally you would only create turbulation at the core surface to enhance thermal transfer. The cooling core efficiency itself depends on three parameters; core pressure drop coefficient, velocity ratio and drag coefficient of the core.
...means in that context, because I'm not that smart. But, what I do know is that if the inlet chokes, nothing that happens within the sidepod behind that choked inlet matters anymore as far as the car's external aerodynamics are concerned. It's as if it all disappears, and the sidepod becomes just another bluff body being dragged through the air.

This would be very helpful for a car with top speed issues.
Ferrari has clearly improved the [F2012] a lot in traction out of low speed corners, which helped in Barcelona and Monaco and will help out of the chicanes and hairpins of Montreal. However another key weak point is straight line speed and this is not straight forward to fix.

(Tell me about it!)

However, there are obviously risks to running such an aggressive cooling strategy...
diemaster wrote:Image
bhallg2k wrote:Gearbox, was it?

Such risks would be eased considerably by larger sidepod vents...

BCN T03 Day 3
...combined with an auxiliary inlet to help kickstart, if you will, the system back into action.

Basically what I'm trying to say here is that I think they're "stalling" the sidepods.
Last edited by bhall on 02 Mar 2013, 16:38, edited 2 times in total.