Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall
bhall

Re: Ferrari F2012

And just for good measure...

There's no slot.

radosav
radosav

what if there is a slot? what then?

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

How was the rear wing F duct banned? What rule was change? Nothing is jumping out at me in the rules in this area in regard to holes in the body work. Was the source of air flow removed as another possibility.

Brian

radosav
radosav

active rear wing F duct is banned, passive isn't

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

How under the rules?

Brian

radosav
radosav

hardingfv32 wrote:How under the rules?

Brian
"Following more meetings in Barcelona, Formula 1's team have made the unanimous decision to ban the f-duct device from the 2011 season onwards. The radical feature, first introduced by McLaren, allows drivers to stall air to their car's rear wing and therefore allow greater straight-line speeds." "As there is no moving mechanical part necessary, the device is legal under the current FIA technical regulations but will disappear once the current campaign comes to an end. "

eurocentric
eurocentric

hardingfv32 wrote:How under the rules?

Brian
I thought no bodywork way allowed within a certain distance of the rear wing to stop them implementing the f duct.

Ian

jordangp

hardingfv32 wrote:In regard to a possible slot....

How was the rear wing F duct banned? What rule was change? Nothing is jumping out at me in the rules in this area in regard to holes in the body work. Was the source of air flow removed as another possibility.

Brian
1) Engine cover limitations, can't duct through engine cover fins.
2) Can't have slots in the rear wing to duct air through.
3) Driver-controlled aerodynamics was banned also (Excl. DRS)

bhall
bhall

Brian knows the score. He's just trying to keep this going.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

jordangp wrote: 1) Engine cover limitations, can't duct through engine cover fins.
1) I can not find, but I think it is correct.

2) Have not found this in the rules.

3) This is 3.18

Brian

jordangp

hardingfv32 wrote:
jordangp wrote: 1) Engine cover limitations, can't duct through engine cover fins.
1) I can not find, but I think it is correct.

2) Have not found this in the rules.

3) This is 3.18

Brian
1)Stops engine covers to rear wing
3.9.1 No bodywork situated between 50mm and 330mm forward of the rear wheel centre line may be more than 730mm above the reference plane.
2) If there is a slot then there is more than one section when viewed from the side.
When viewed from the side of the car no longitudinal vertical cross section may have more than one section in this area. Furthermore, no part of this section in contact with the external air stream may have a local concave radius of curvature smaller than
100mm.
3) Haven't checked, I trust you're right.
EDIT:
3.15: With the exception of the parts necessary for the adjustment described in Article 3.18, any car system, device or procedure which uses, or is suspected of using, driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited.”
Last edited by jordangp on 03 Mar 2012, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

jordangp wrote: 2) If there is a slot then there is more than one section when viewed from the side.
When viewed from the side of the car no longitudinal vertical cross section may have more than one section in this area. Furthermore, no part of this section in contact with the external air stream may have a local concave radius of curvature smaller than
100mm.
Thanks... When I read that section, 'no slot' just did not jump out at me.

Brian

Nickel
Nickel

hardingfv32 wrote:
jordangp wrote: 2) If there is a slot then there is more than one section when viewed from the side.
100mm.
Thanks... When I read that section, 'no slot' just did not jump out at me.

Brian
Wouldn't this only hold true if the slot went all the way across the section?

EDIT: I mean with regards to the words when viewed from the side. If the slot does not cross the whole width of the slot, it should be invisible from the side?

bhall
bhall

I think we should petition the FIA to require a matte finish on all of the cars so that the problem of people seeing things that aren't really there is eradicated once and for all.

Such a finish is likely more efficient aerodynamically, too.

EDIT: Nickel, the "local concave radius" language of the regulation addresses "partial" slots.

Nickel
Nickel

bhallg2k wrote:
EDIT: Nickel, the "local concave radius" language of the regulation addresses "partial" slots.
Ok, I clearly misunderstood this part. I assumed radius simply put a limit on curvature of the section, not on continuity... I'm missing something here sorry.
The way I understand this rule, r must measure greater than 100mm but I do not understand why this precludes a slot... :? Sorry for sidetracking the discussion.